Ship Your Car To Or From Greece.
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Greece is a relatively popular spot to ship cars and, as a result, it’s less expensive than shipping to other countries of similar distance.
- Most auto shipments to Greece fall between $1,300 and $3,700, with some adjustment for different vehicle types and method of delivery.
Greece is an ancient land that is often referred to as “the cradle of civilization.” It was here that drama, philosophy and the Olympic games began. The country has one of the world’s longest coastlines and boasts many beautiful beaches on both the mainland the islands. It has been a member of the European Union since 1981, and despite some recent financial difficulties, Greeks enjoy a high standard of living and a unique culture.
Popular Shipping Destinations.
If you plan to make an extended visit to Greece, you may exporting a vehicle–defined as a car, recreational vehicle or motorcycle–to Greece from your home country for a period of six months at no charge. You are not allowed to sell the car in Greece or even let anyone outside of your family drive it. When the vehicle enters the country, you will need to show proof of insurance and up-to-date registration and license plate tags from your home country. If the registration and tags expire while you are in Greece, you will need to apply to the customs office to get a temporary registration and license plate for the duration of your stay.
Moving to Greece.
People who move to Greece permanently may import a vehicle–which is considered part of their household goods–without paying duty if you have a residency permit before entering the country. You may apply for a permit from the Greek consulate in your home country. This designation is available to those of Greek descent, anyone who is married to a Greek citizen or someone having a work permit for a permanent job in Greece. You must have maintained a permanent residence outside of Greece for at least two years to qualify for this tax-free status.
In order to apply to bring your vehicle into the country duty-free, you must send a description of the car to the Greek consulate in your home country. You must have purchased the vehicle at least six months before importing it into the country. All new vehicles are subject to a Value Added Tax. You must pay registration and license plate fees for both new and used vehicles when they enter the country. If you bring a car into Greece duty-free, you are not allowed to sell it for at least a year, or you must pay duty on it. No one outside your immediate family may drive the car during that year.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Greece.
There is a lot of paperwork involved in bringing a car to Greece. Because it is considered part of your household goods, and you must show proof of residency outside the country for at least two years, you will need to provide these documents:
- Income tax returns or W2 forms.
- Property tax or rent receipts.
- Proof of past employment.
- Utility bills (phone, electric, gas, cable)
- Passports (expired and valid) of all family members resettling in Greece covering the time when you initially left the country to settle in the United States up to the present.
- Residency or work permit or proof of Greek citizenship.
- International driver’s license.
- Proof of insurance and vehicle registration.
- Consular certificate.
- Proof of ownership.
- Registration certificate.
Tax ID Card.
In order to pick up your car when it arrives, you will need to have an AFM card. This is easy to obtain and you will need it in order to open a bank account or pay taxes, so applying for the AFM card is one of the first things to do once you arrive in Greece. Take your passport and a copy of your birth certificate to a tax office (there are many locations to choose from) and fill out a form. You will be given a print out with your AFM number on it. Take this printout and the above documents with you when you pick up your car.
After your car is released by customs, it will need to be inspected. It is a good idea to arrange for these inspections before the car arrives You will need three different inspections:
- Emissions Inspection.
- General Inspection.
- Noise Inspection.
After these inspections are completed, you can apply for registration and a Greek license plate. Any vehicle you bring into Greece duty-free is for your personal use only (or the use of your family members) and may not be sold, transferred, lent out, leased or pawned, otherwise you will be sent a bill for the taxes that were waived.
Read more about vehicle registration process in Greece.
Types of Transport.
There are two common methods for shipping a car to Greece: Roll On/Roll Off (RO/RO) or container shipping. RO/RO tends to be less expensive than shipping by container. Your car is driven onto a special deck of the ship and parked, similar to valet parking, for the length of the journey. In order to use RO/RO shipping, the vehicle must be drivable and you are not permitted to store any items inside the car during the trip. When the ship docks, your car is driven off and parked until you pick it up.
Container shipping is a little more expensive, but you can ship other items along with your vehicle. Some of the expense is because there is more work involved in loading and securing cars inside a container. You also need to wait a bit longer for your car on the other end while the containers are unloaded.
Related Information & FAQs.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory