Domestic USA & International Auto Shipping
- Quote Calculator
Located within the urban belt of Athens, the capital of Greece, Piraeus is only 7 miles/12 km away from Athens municipality. It lies along eastern coastal area of Saronic Gulf which is the largest shipping marine port in Greece, besides being its commercial capital as well. As a central hub, the major ship-owners in the country operate their shipping empires from Piraeus. Thus, imports are easy to Piraeus, so if you are planning to have your own vehicle shipped here from any port in USA, it won’t be too long to enjoy a drive.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Vehicle import during temporary stay in Piraeus.
Those who plan to stay in this city for less than six months can always import the car but only your family members will be able to drive it during this time. Additionally, you will not be able to sell it here or anywhere else in Greece. Before you get the ownership, you need to submit some documents including:
- Title deed of the vehicle.
- License tags and insurance from the place of the origin.
- Ownership proof of the vehicle.
- Bill of Lading.
- Custom duty receipts.
In case the registration of your vehicle expires during your stay in Piraeus, you can always request for temporary license plates and registration from the Greek transport ministry for as long as you are staying within the six month slot.
Vehicle import for permanent residents in Piraeus.
For those who want to move to Greece as the permanent residents, their personal vehicles automatically becomes the part of household goods. Thus, you are allowed as resident permit can bring the car along without any need of paying additional custom duties. You can enjoy such privilege only if you fulfill any of the following conditions:
- Married to a Greek citizen.
- Of Greek descent.
- Have work permit to hold permanent job in Piraeus.
- Have been staying away from the country for over 2 years.
All vehicles purchased in foreign countries have to pay the associated taxes as well as fees related to registration and license plate issuance. Upon the import of your car, you will need to send description of the vehicle to Greek consulate. They will ask to see the following documents:
- Property documents and income tax papers.
- Passport showing Greek lineage, for all your family members relocating to Greece.
- Work permit/Greek citizenship as applicable.
- Vehicle registration and insurance.
- Driving license.
In order to get the vehicle you have to show your AFM card to the authorities as it is quite important for paying taxes or opening accounts in the bank. Before the custom officials hand it over to you, they will check the car for emissions, noise control, along with a general inspection. After this, you can apply for a Piraeus registration. If your vehicle is duty-free, you will not be able to sell it, rent it, or lease it without first paying the taxes.
If you need assistance, A-1 auto transport service can helps you with the customs at US port and at Piraeus, Greece. Additionally, all shipping logistics are taken care of and you need to be at the port to collect your vehicle. From documentation to the delivery process, we are with you. We offer two ways to ship your vehicle namely:
- RORO method: Here your car is driven on the deck and harnessed to avoid movement during transit and driven off the ship at Piraeus. This is cost effective but you cannot leave any goods in the car.
- Secure Container: Your car along with household goods is sealed within a 20 feet or 40 feet container. This is a safer and more expensive way of shipping your car but there are many people that choose it. If you need to cut cost without compromising on safety, you can share the container space with other people’s goods.
To get more details about shipping and using your personal vehicle in Greece, check out more information at Hellenic Republic.