Safe And Reliable Michigan Car Shipping Services By A-1 Auto Transport
Michigan has a storied history as the birthplace of the modern automobile and has long attracted big business for its close proximity to the northeast corridor and our neighbor to the north, Canada. Detroit, which perhaps suffered among the worst of all American cities during the economic collapse of 2009-10, still has many vibrant areas that offer a glimpse into its automobile-centric history. The downtown area is home to a very active riverfront scene, with a diverse array of restaurants and nightlife, as well as an assortment of new casinos and professional sports stadiums. While tourism is big business in this state, professional relocation occurs almost just as often, with businesses opting to take advantage of the business-friendly environment offered in Michigan.
Cost & Time To Ship Your Car Examples
|Shipping To/From||Cost||Distance||Estimated Time In Transit|
|Detroit to Grand Rapids||$158||158 miles||1 - 2 days|
|Indianapolis to Detroit||$287||287 miles||2 - 4 days|
|Detroit to Philadelphia||$446||594 miles||2 - 4 days|
|Nashville to Michigan||$489||652 miles||3 - 5 days|
|Michigan to Louisiana||$698||1163 miles||4 - 6 days|
|Colorado to Michigan||$799||1332 miles||4 - 6 days|
|Michigan to Miami||$934||1556 miles||5 - 7 days|
|Phoenix to Michigan||$1003||2005 miles||6 - 8 days|
|Detroit to Nevada||$1027||2053 miles||6 - 8 days|
|Oregon to Michigan||$1116||2232 miles||6 - 8 days|
|Detroit to San Diego||$1171||2342 miles||6 - 8 days|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and what type of vehicle you are shipping.
Car Shipping Companies Near Me
Looking for auto transport companies near you in Michigan? We know Michigan is home to many snowbirds who like to spend their Winters in Naples and South Florida areas. We won’t argue with you, that sounds like a great idea. But now, you’re thinking how that long-term car rental just about broke your yearly budget and are wondering how to get your own car there. We can help. Our teams get your vehicle loaded and relocated, just in time to meet you on the other side. Then, we will help arrange to get it back if you’d like. Head to A1 Auto Transport to compare brokerages and carriers with trucks in your area right now.
Using Michigan Car Transport Companies
When you are looking to book Michigan car transport services, keep a few key tips in mind.
- Pay attention to proximity: Michigan is a fairly massive state, so you want to ensure that wherever you plan to pick up or drop off your vehicle is nearby the place where you plan to relocate or visit. Most Michigan auto transport companies offer a map or list of locations when you book your auto transport services so that you can plan ahead accordingly.
- Make sure your paperwork is in order: Particularly if you plan to transport your vehicle internationally – right over the bridge to Canada, it is important to have all of your paperwork in order ahead of scheduling pick-up for your auto transport.
- Prep your car ahead of time: If you are planning for a Michigan auto transport during the winter months, then it is important to fully prep your car to deal with the harsh winter conditions. This means filling it up with fluids, prepping your vehicle with snow chains and making sure that you can drive your vehicle in Michigan’s ever-changing weather conditions.
Michigan is definitely a state on the mend, as the industry attempts to make a comeback in this newly recovering economy. This is a great place to start a new business or relocate to create an entirely new life, and having your vehicle with you is the first step.
Visit the Michigan Department of Transportation website for more information on Michigan and the plentiful opportunities in which it can offer those visiting or relocating to the state.
Long Distance Auto Transport to/from Michigan
There are four main ways to transport a car cross country or between states:
- Terminal to Terminal: You drop your car off at a terminal, from where a carrier picks it up and delivers it to a terminal closest to the location you’re going to.
- Door to door: The car is picked up from a location of your choosing and dropped where you need it sent.
- Terminal to door: You drop off the car at a terminal, and the carrier delivers it to a location of your choosing.
- Door to terminal: You choose the pickup location and the car is delivered to a terminal closest to your intended destination.
There are various advantages and disadvantages with each option, so you should discuss them in depth with your auto transport company. You must also decide between using an open or enclosed truck and the approximate date you want the automobile to be picked up on.
International Auto Transport from/to Michigan
Not all countries are friendly to car importations. Some customs offices charge around 10% of the vehicle’s value, while others can ask for up to 100% of its price. Because of this, we advise you check the import tax rate in your new country before proceeding with the transport.
If it’s within your budget, give us a call, and we’ll take care of everything. We can ship your automobile to any country on any continent. It saves you time and the price is more than reasonable. Since you’re avoiding the multitude of mistakes first time shippers make, you can even save money using our services.
Cheap Car Transportation Options in Michigan
Open carriers and terminals are used by the vast majority precisely to keep costs to a minimum. Enclosed carriers keep cars protected from outside weather during transport, but they are more expensive to book due to their limited carrying capacity.
You may also opt for a door to door option. However due to the extra mileage, it will be more expensive.
If your car is broken or there isn’t a terminal nearby, door to door services may be cheaper. However, this is only if the cost of transporting your car to a terminal exceeds the cost having the company pick it up from home. You can also consider door to terminal services or the opposite to navigate the situation.
The price of your auto transportation can also vary depending on the time of year you choose for it. Our company gives a seasonal discount during the months when business is slow due to the weather’s interference. However, if you are not deterred by the cold, this can be a great way to lower costs.
Shipping Luxury and Classic Cars in Michigan
If you’re transporting your exotic or antique car in Michigan, enclosed auto carriers offer greater peace of mind. Enclosed trailers are designed to handle low ground clearance vehicles and are equipped with hydraulic lift gates, so cars remain completely horizontal during the loading and unloading process.
The cost to ship a classic or luxury car via an enclosed carrier depends on the type of trailer you choose. You can pick a single or two car trailer (used for high end cars and for express deliveries), or a multi-car trailer which can load up to seven cars. Enclosed trailers are more expensive because of their availability, efficiency, and service, including personal care from the driver. You may also have direct contact with the driver during the shipping process and stay updated until your vehicle is delivered to Michigan.
Michigan Special Discounts
As a member of the US military, you can ship a POV with A1 Auto Transport at a discounted price. Seniors and students benefit from similar discounts. Besides these offers, we’ve also prepared seasonal discounts everyone can take advantage of. If you’re going to ship a vehicle, we recommend you plan ahead and call our company to check which time of the year is cheapest.
Auto Transport Safety Measures in Michigan
There are 2 factors which ensure safety in the auto transport industry:
- Reliable carriers which do not permit the cars to move while in transit and protect them from outside elements. Even our open carriers have bars surrounding the cars which block any pebbles which may fly towards them.
- A solid insurance policy in case something does go wrong. Just like when driving the car yourself, even if you abide by state regulations, other participants in the traffic may not. In case a car accident does happen, our insurance policy has you covered. You can also get extra insurance just in case.
Due to these factors, you can leave your car with us safe in the knowledge that it will arrive as you’ve left it. And in case something does happen, rest assured you’ll recover your losses.
How to Request a Price Estimate
Our contact information can be located in the upper right corner of our website. If you’re looking for a quote, either complete the form or call us using the number on the screen. In both cases, we will resolve your problem in the shortest amount of time possible.
Please complete all the fields our online form provides to receive a correct response. Similarly, if you’re calling, explain your situation in detail, so we can provide you with the appropriate service. If you have any specific requests, definitely mention them. We are available 24/7 to answer your call.
Michigan Auto Transport Companies Directory
Jackson Auto Transport
Jackson Auto Transport offers a vast array of transport options, including open-air and enclosed transport nationwide, depending on the make, model, and condition of the car. Shippers transport automobiles, trucks, SUVs, vans, motorcycles, boats and other hauling services. Licensed, bonded and insured with good BBB accredited reviews online.
1833 Hawthorne Road Grosse Pointe Woods, MI 313-881-6876
United Road Services Auto Transport Technical Center
This is a national auto transport organization, which means both affordable rates and service to various areas around the country for those moving from Michigan and to this northern state.
10701 Middlebelt Rd Romulus, MI
Statewide Auto Transport
This statewide company offers auto transport around the entire state of Michigan.
15995 South Huron River Drive Romulus, MI
WEST BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP
HD&J Auto Shipping & Transport
HD&J Auto Shipping is based in West Bloomfield Township but offers transport services around the region.
5407 Carol Run West West Bloomfield Township, MI
Reliable Carriers Inc.
For those looking for a reliable method of transport, Reliable can move both traditional and custom vehicles.
41555 Koppernick Road Canton, MI
Quality Auto Transport
Quality Auto Transport is situated in Clinton Township and provides quick turnarounds and fair rates for transport services.
22650 Stevenson Street Clinton Township, MI
Superior Auto Transport
One of the only transport companies in the Southgate region, Superior Auto Transport is the perfect choice for those looking for service with a local touch.
16703 Fort Street Southgate, MI
Motor City Auto Transport
Motor City offers safe and secure transport in a variety of means, from trailer transport to individual custom vehicle services.
13133 West Star Drive Shelby Township, MI
East Coast Auto Transport Inc.
East Coast offers transport of a wide array of vehicles, including boats, automobiles and motorcycles.
6127 East Nevada Street Detroit, MI
United Road Services Northville
United provides Michigan auto transport services around the country.
19500 Victor Pkwy #475 Livonia, MI
Time Auto Transport
Time Auto Transport does just that: get your vehicle from Point A to Point B in a safe and timely fashion.
575 Elmwood Drive Troy, MI
United Road Services Warren Northland
United Road is a national auto transport company that can help get your vehicle from one place to the next working on your budget.
32800 Dequindre Rd. Warren, MI 800-521-0928
Vehicle Registration Process in Michigan
Registration of your vehicle with Michigan’s Secretary of State requires your certificate of insurance, driver’s license, vehicle title, and registration fee payment. A vehicle registration service may be provided by a dealer if your vehicle was bought from a car dealership. You may apply for a TRP if your vehicle will be used in the short term.
If you have recently bought a new vehicle or become an MI resident, your vehicle must be registered with the MI SOS. Renewal of registration for a car is a must.
Note: Other types of vehicles, such as ATVs and custom built vehicles, have different registration requirements.
Your vehicle must be registered immediately with the MI SOS as soon as you have established your residency in the region.
Typically, vehicle titling and registration take place at the same time.
Go to a MI SOS office to get a car registration certificate and bring the following:
- A MI no-fault insurance certificate (your old home state car insurance coverage is not applicable).
- Existing outside of MI car title.
- The presence of all owners is a must. If any of the owners from the car title is not available, they should:
- Complete the Form MI TR-128.
- Present a copy of their ID card or driver’s license.
- Outside of MI car registration (recently expired or current), if your car title is with a lienholder.
- A completed MI Form TR-11L.
- A valid ID (birth certificate, photo ID, outside of MI driver’s license).
- Payment of titling and registration fee (refer to “MI Car Registration Costs” below).
Your MI vehicle registration certificate will expire on your birthday.
Vehicle Registration in MI
The vehicle registration process varies depending on how a vehicle was acquired, whether it was bought from a car dealership, a private seller, or gifted/transferred by a relative.
Purchased vehicles from a car dealership: The registration of your vehicle may be provided by a dealer if your vehicle was purchased from a car dealership.
Keep copies of such papers until you have received your MI license plates, title, and registration certificate. These documents can be used temporarily to prove your ownership.
Vehicles Transferred or Purchased from Private Sellers/Individuals
The registration and titling of a vehicle bought from a private seller is your responsibility. It is recommended by the SOS that you visit their office together with the seller for the registration and titling process.
You must have your vehicle registered and titled within fifteen days since the purchase date. You are allowed to drive during the first three days without plates to complete the registration process of your vehicle. The title assigned to you serves as proof.
Go to your local SOS office for registration and bring the following:
- Signed over car title.
- Owners must show up in person. Any owner that will not be able to show up, should provide a completed Form MI TR-128 and a copy of their ID.
- The following should be included in the title:
- Odometer reading,
- Signatures of the buyer and the seller,
- Lienholder’s signature if needed,
- The VIN.
- A valid ID (driver’s license, ID, United States passport).
- MI no-fault insurance certificate.
- Payment of taxes and fees (refer to “MI Car Registration Costs” below).
Gifting and Transferring Ownership of a Car between Family Members
The vehicle registration process of a purchased or transferred car between members of a family is identical to the process listed above for “Purchased from Private Sellers/Individuals”.
You are exempted from having to pay sales taxes if you buy or receive the vehicle from the immediate relatives listed below:
- Parents (including step-parents or adoptive parents).
- Siblings (including step-siblings or half siblings).
- Children as well as adopted children.
- Grandchildren and grandparents.
- Wards or legal guardians.
The Secretary of State will qualify you for a tax exemption even without relationship proof. However, The MI Dept. of Treasury may get in touch with you to confirm your relationship.
Transferring a MI Vehicle Registration
Your current license plates can be transferred to your newly bought vehicle as long as the Secretary of State has its record with your legal name.
Go to any Secretary of State Branch Office for the completion of a transfer of vehicle registration and bring the following:
- Your current MI car certificate.
- It will be sufficient if the number on your license plates can be verified in the database of the Secretary of State.
- The new car title.
- The Secretary of State will only accept a title application copy if the vehicle title is already being processed.
- Michigan no-fault insurance certificate, if the insurance carriers were changed from the last renewal of registration.
- Payment of a transfer fee: $8.
Note: Some added fees will be applied if you have an application for a title.
Temporary Vehicle Registration
Michigan offers temporary permits for registration effective for thirty days, and for sixty days for vehicles that will not be used in the long term (ex. if you are always abroad or on active duty).
The permit cost of the registration fee in this case is:
- Thirty days permit- $20 or annual registration fee portion (whichever is greater).
- Sixty days permit- $40 or annual registration fee portion (whichever is greater).
There is a service fee of $10 for both permits.
Go to any Secretary of State office for the application and bring the following:
- MI no-fault insurance certificate.
- The MI vehicle’s title.
- Payment of a $10 fee for the temporary permit.
Registration of Non-Resident and Military Vehicles in Michigan
For a MI military resident: There are no vehicle registration waivers or exemptions for MI military members residing in Michigan. You may follow the vehicle registration steps above, whichever may be applicable to how your vehicle was purchased.
For MI military based outside of Michigan: Submit the following for the registration of a vehicle during out of state deployment:
- A completed MI Form TR-11L.
- Attach a TR-114 Form to have the registration/title be mailed to a different address.
- Copy of your vehicle title.
- MI no-fault insurance certificate.
- Payment of taxes and fees (refer to “MI Car Registration Costs” below).
- For a money order or check, pay it to “State of MI”.
Note: Late fees for the renewal of a vehicle registration are not necessary for MI military members based outside the state.
Out of state military resident based in Michigan: MI military residents based in the state can drive their vehicles with their home state plates, but their registration must be kept current.
If you will be residing in Michigan, refer to “New to MI?” above for the registration of your vehicle.
Out of State Residents: Vehicle Registration
Generally, registration with the Secretary of State is not necessary if you are a non-resident student studying in Michigan. However, the exemption will be cancelled and MI license plates will be required if you are getting a full-time or part-time job.
Non-residents working or living in MI may register their vehicle with the MI Secretary of State once residency is established in any way listed below:
- Voter registration in MI.
- File a MI individual income tax.
- Open a business in MI.
- Acquire a MI driver’s license.
- Payment of MI college tuition.
MI Car Registration Costs
Calculating the fees for registration is based on the age of your vehicle:
- Model year/VIN code 1984 or newer: Registration fee is based on MSRP.
- Model year/VIN code 1983 or older: Registration fee is based on the weight of the vehicle.
- Check the State of Michigan vehicle weight charts.
Other conditional fees:
- $15 for title fee.
- $10 late fee (vehicle registration).
- $15 late fee (vehicle title).
- $8 transfer fee (vehicle registration).
- 6% use tax
- $5 fee for standard license plate.
Get a Duplicate MI Vehicle Registration
The onus will help you with the replacement of your damaged or missing MI vehicle registration certificate.
The replacement form is available online. For application, provide the following:
- SS number.
- Number of your MI driver’s license.
- The color of your eyes.
It is free of charge to get a duplicate MI car registration certificate.
MI License Plates
You may choose a type of license plate upon having a MI car registration certificate. You can get the specialized or the standard plates.
Michigan license plate replacement: Go to a MI SOS office for the replacement of your damaged, stolen, or lost license plates, and present the following:
- A valid ID.
- Your car plate number or registration certificate.
- Payment of a $5 fee for plate replacement.
- Anticipate extra taxes for specialized car plates.
For stolen license plates, report immediately to the law enforcement agency nearest to you.
Services And Information
Other Michigan Resources
Michigan.gov - official government website for the state of Michigan.
Michigan Wikipedia Page - everything you need to know about the state of Michigan.
University Of Michigan - World-class faculty. Groundbreaking research. An exceptional health system. Beautiful surroundings. A robust cultural life.
Michigan On Craigslist - local classifieds and forums for jobs, housing, for sale, personals, services, local community, and events.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.