Shipping Options for a Car
When it comes to the process of transporting a vehicle, there are many different options available to you depending on whom you go through for services. Whether you’re shipping your car within the nation or overseas, you can expect to have a variety of options as long as you hire a reliable auto transporter for the job. If you find it hard to decide on what method to use or options are best for your car’s delivery to a new location, let the transporter’s customer service representatives assist you in your decisions. They will have plenty of advice and a sound suggestion based on your needs combined with their experience.
Different Shipping Methods and Service Options for Vehicle Transport
- Open Air Transport by Ground - A car hauler or large flatbed trailer is used to deliver your vehicle by ground transportation. The car may need lifted atop the trailer or hauler if it isn’t operable. This method of delivery leaves your vehicle exposed to outside elements along its travels but rarely raises concern.
- Enclosed Transport by Ground Methods- This method serves to offer more protection to the car as it travels. Your vehicle is placed inside a large shipping container that is secured to and hauled by a freight truck. If the car isn’t too large to fit into one of the shipping company’s containers, this method provides a lot more protection from inclement weather, road construction and criminal activity.
- Door to Door Delivery - This optional service is very convenient. The transport company will come retrieve the vehicle from where it is stored and directly deliver it to the correct address. This omits the use of any terminals.
- High Priority Services - High priority services include expedited and guaranteed delivery options. By putting your car at the top of the priority list, it is guaranteed to ship faster or reach its destination by the date requested.
- Roll-On/Roll-Off - This is a common transport method for the delivery of cars made to countries overseas. A flatbed ship is the vessel used to haul the cars.
- Container Shipping - If your car can fit into one of the transporter’s smaller shipping containers, this is a great transport method. It offers the car more protection against poor weather conditions as it makes its way to another nation. With this method, the vehicle is secured tightly within the container for transport.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.