Shipping a vehicle to another country can seem, at first glance, like a very complicated and confusing process, especially if you started your search online. It may seem like there are so many options out there, that it’s hard to separate the good from the bad. In this blog post, we’ll explain how to do that, as well as go into what to expect and plan for when shipping a vehicle to another country.
Your general consumer intuition is a good gauge of whether you feel good about a certain overseas auto shipper. Does their website offer an accurate reflection of the services they offer and their level of professionalism? If you’re unsure, you can always call them up and find out firsthand a company treats their customers.
Remember that you’re not only paying for an expensive service that involves multiple countries and sets of laws, but you’re also putting the trust of one your most precious (and likely, expensive) possessions. Don’t take this part of the process lightly! In spite of improved regulation and oversight, there are still some shady operations within the industry and they do take advantage of uninformed and unsuspecting customers.
For more information about shipping a car overseas, you can select the specific country and learn about the laws & regulations of each by visiting our international shipping page
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Planning & Expectations: Working With Overseas Car Shippers
In this section, we’ll break the basic steps of how to get a cost estimate, and what you need to do in order to be prepared for each step.
Gather Information – This includes basic things like where you’re having your car shipped, what timeframe is ideal, where it needs to be picked up from, and any other issues that need to be relayed to the shipper. Make sure to also have the make, model and year of your vehicle handy.
Contact Companies – Now that you have put together all the information you need, you can contact companies and get a cost estimate. Price quotes and cost estimates should always be free! Do not work with or engage auto transport companies that charge for an estimate. Gather 3-5 estimates and consider each option in light of their service, cost, and professionalism.
Collect Documents – There are a couple of required documents you’ll need when having a car shipped overseas. Some items that are required include the following (it does vary slightly by country):
- Car title certificate
- Bill of sale *not always required
- Current valid insurance coverage
- Drivers license or photo ID
- Power of attorney (if shipping on behalf of someone else)
Have questions about shipping your car overseas? Our staff of experts is on hand to answer your questions, offer advice, and give FREE price quotes to all interested parties! We can also be reached through our online contact form! Cost estimates are given in real-time by a certified international auto shipping agent!
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?