Deliver Your Car Stress Free
- Compare rates for shipping to or from New Zealand
- Licensed, bonded and insured carriers ready to serve
- RORO, container & air freight transport overseas
- BBB A+ rated award winning service, always on time
- Get an instant quote using our form, or call: 1-800-518-8708
Ship Your Car To Or From New Zealand
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Vehicle shipping costs to New Zealand from the U.S. generally run between $3,500 and $7,000.
- An important consideration when shipping a car to New Zealand is that many left-hand drive cars will need to be converted, though some may qualify for an exemption.
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car to New Zealand
|San Jose, CA to|
(California port) to Auckland
|Los Angeles to|
(California port) to Dunedin
|Boston, MA to|
(New York port) to Lyttleton
|Portland, OR to|
(California port) to Auckland
|Seattle, WA to|
(California port) to Dunedin
|Columbus, OH to|
(New York port) to Tauranga
|Chicago, IL to|
(New York port) to Chalmers
|Atlanta, GA to|
(New York port) to Tauranga
|Denver, CO to|
(California port) to Nelson
|Houston, TX to|
(New York port) to Auckland
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
*Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
*Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
*Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
*Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
Importing your vehicle into a foreign country can often be an involved and complex process, but armed with the correct information and backed by a reputable auto transport company, the procedure can indeed be painless. The New Zealand Customs Service website supplies a wealth of knowledge, as does the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) website.
Any vehicle imported into New Zealand must pass a certification process given by a NZTA-approved certifier in compliance with all legal requirements. This ensures the vehicle meets or exceeds minimum vehicle standards determined by the vehicle type and age.
This certification includes a physical inspection that verifies a number of things, including, but not limited to, the following:
- The vehicle has a working and accurate odometer.
- The vehicle meets the minimum frontal impact standard.
The importer is responsible for obtaining proof of this certification prior to registering the vehicle. It really is in your best interest to check the New Zealand Transport Agency website, and contact them directly with any questions, prior to making shipping arrangements.
Read more about vehicle registration process in New Zealand.
Popular Shipping Destinations
- New Plymouth
- Palmerston North
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
New Zealand is one of the few countries that DOES NOT impose tariff duties on personal use vehicles. Motorhomes, however, are the exception and are subject to 10% customs duty. For vehicles worth more than $1000, there is a small import entry transaction fee (IETF) of $29.26, as well as a biosecurity system entry levy of $17.63 (payable to the Ministry for Primary Industries). New Zealand does, however, charge a “Goods and Services Tax” (GST) that is calculated based on the vehicle’s value as determined by the CIF (Cost + Insurance + Freight), less any deductions for depreciation. This tax is currently at a flat percentage rate of 15%.
If you are permanently moving into New Zealand and can supply prove of residence on the date of importation, the GST will be waived (this will also waive customs duty in the case of a motorhome).
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle to New Zealand
- Current New Zealand residence visa or permit.
- Current RETURNING residence visa or permit.
- New Zealand passport.
- Australian passport.
- Current NZ WORK permit or visa (issued for a minimum of 12 months)
- Current NZ VISITOR’S permit of visa (issued for a minimum of 3 years)
Upon the vehicle’s arrival in New Zealand, it will be immediately inspected by the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) for quarantine inspection and cleaning. It will then be transferred to Customs to complete clearance. At this point, the importer will be required to supply certain documents to help with the process as detailed below.
- Commercial Invoice (indicating price paid and date of purchase)
- Current Registration.
- Certificate of Title.
- Freight Costs and Insurance Invoice.
- Bill of Lading.
- Odometer Reading (reading upon export from the previous country and reading upon import into NZ)
Because New Zealand does not charge a tariff duty, the process of shipping your vehicle is often much less costly than many other countries. Be sure to verify all information needed prior to making shipping arrangements and ALWAYS ask questions if you are confused. New Zealand offers some great resources to make contact as easy as possible. Finally, enlist the help of an exceptionally trustworthy auto transport company to conclude the process.
Shipping Of Heavy Equipment & Oversized Cargo To New Zealand
Hiring international transporters with years of experience and all the proper credentials is the greatest way to have your heavy equipment or oversized cargo shipped outside the United States. When you hire a reliable shipping company such as A1 Auto Transport, you can expect that your cargo will be delivered safe and sound with very little concerns. With connections to the highest quality shipping equipment and most current shipping technologies, we are positive that we can ship your oversized cargo to the Netherlands successfully.
Accomplishing all the requirements of the Netherlands may be the most tedious part of an international delivery for most individuals. Opportunely, at A1 we have knowledge of these laws and the tariffs must be paid before you can earn the certificate of import approval from Customs.
- Farm Equipment including tractors, balers, harvesters, backhoes, etc.
- Construction Equipment including bulldozers, forklifts, pipes, hydraulic equipment, dumpers, rock breakers, etc.
- Mining Equipment including loaders, excavators, haulers, etc.
- Paving Equipment including asphalt pavers, planers, compactors, graders, reclaimers, etc.
- Agricultural Equipment including tractors, combine harvesters, plows, spreaders, drills, mowers, planers, etc.
The Various Ways to Internationally Ship Your Heavy Equipment
Through A1 Auto Transport, you have several shipping options to select from. Although you may not have all of these options available to you. Conditional upon the type of equipment or cargo you need to have delivered, you may have fewer choices regarding your shipping process. Our representatives will discuss your options with you after you answer a few of their questions.
Short Descriptions for Each International Transport Methods
- Container shipping implements the greatest amount of security against outdoor elements by enclosing your cargo within four walls and a ceiling. All cargo must fit inside of at least our 40ft container if this is the desired transport method.
- Flat rack shipping is an open air service that includes securely attaching your cargo to a large metal frame. The metal rack is placed on top of the vessel with your cargo strapped to it.
- Roll on/roll off shipping is the least expensive form of international transport. It is an open air service available to those with large vehicles or heavy equipment that can drive onto and off of the ship using a ramp. This tends to be the most popular of all the transport methods offered through A1.
- Lift on/lift off shipping is open air transport method best for those shipping large broken down vehicles, construction materials and crated heavy equipment. A crane is used to lift the cargo onto the ship as well as off of the ship.
Related Information & FAQs.
- What is involved with the process of shipping a car from the USA to New Zealand?
- Ship your car to New Zealand as quickly and safely as possible
- Use an experienced overseas transport company for shipping a car to New Zealand from the USA
- Cost to ship a motorcycle to New Zealand
- What does it cost to ship a car to New Zealand?