Ship Your Car To Or From New Zealand.
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Vehicle shipping costs to New Zealand from the U.S. generally run between $3,500 and $7,000.
- An important consideration when shipping a car to New Zealand is that many left-hand drive cars will need to be converted, though some may qualify for an exemption.
Importing your vehicle into a foreign country can often be an involved and complex process, but armed with the correct information and backed by a reputable auto transport company, the procedure can indeed be painless. The New Zealand Customs Service website supplies a wealth of knowledge, as does the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) website.
Any vehicle imported into New Zealand must pass a certification process given by a NZTA-approved certifier in compliance with all legal requirements. This ensures the vehicle meets or exceeds minimum vehicle standards determined by the vehicle type and age.
This certification includes a physical inspection that verifies a number of things, including, but not limited to, the following:
- The vehicle has a working and accurate odometer.
- The vehicle meets the minimum frontal impact standard.
The importer is responsible for obtaining proof of this certification prior to registering the vehicle. It really is in your best interest to check the New Zealand Transport Agency website, and contact them directly with any questions, prior to making shipping arrangements.
Read more about vehicle registration process in New Zealand.
Popular Shipping Destinations.
- New Plymouth
- Palmerston North
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
New Zealand is one of the few countries that DOES NOT impose tariff duties on personal use vehicles. Motorhomes, however, are the exception and are subject to 10% customs duty. For vehicles worth more than $1000, there is a small import entry transaction fee (IETF) of $29.26, as well as a biosecurity system entry levy of $17.63 (payable to the Ministry for Primary Industries). New Zealand does, however, charge a “Goods and Services Tax” (GST) that is calculated based on the vehicle’s value as determined by the CIF (Cost + Insurance + Freight), less any deductions for depreciation. This tax is currently at a flat percentage rate of 15%.
If you are permanently moving into New Zealand and can supply prove of residence on the date of importation, the GST will be waived (this will also waive customs duty in the case of a motorhome).
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle to New Zealand.
- current New Zealand residence visa or permit.
- current RETURNING residence visa or permit.
- New Zealand passport.
- Australian passport.
- current NZ WORK permit or visa (issued for a minimum of 12 months)
- current NZ VISITOR’S permit of visa (issued for a minimum of 3 years)
Upon the vehicle’s arrival in New Zealand, it will be immediately inspected by the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) for quarantine inspection and cleaning. It will then be transferred to Customs to complete clearance. At this point, the importer will be required to supply certain documents to help with the process as detailed below.
- Commercial Invoice (indicating price paid and date of purchase)
- Current Registration.
- Certificate of Title.
- Freight Costs and Insurance Invoice.
- Bill of Lading.
- Odometer Reading (reading upon export from the previous country and reading upon import into NZ)
Because New Zealand does not charge a tariff duty, the process of shipping your vehicle is often much less costly than many other countries. Be sure to verify all information needed prior to making shipping arrangements and ALWAYS ask questions if you are confused. New Zealand offers some great resources to make contact as easy as possible. Finally, enlist the help of an exceptionally trustworthy auto transport company to conclude the process.
Related Information & FAQs.
- What is involved with the process of shipping a car from the USA to New Zealand?
- Ship your car to New Zealand as quickly and safely as possible
- Use an experienced overseas transport company for shipping a car to New Zealand from the USA
- Cost to ship a motorcycle to New Zealand
- What does it cost to ship a car to New Zealand?
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory