Known as the largest city in Southern Island of New Zealand, Christchurch is the seat of Canterbury Region. The urban sector lies on each coast of South Island, on the northern side of Banks Peninsula. It is considered as the third populous area, after Auckland and Wellington.
Importing vehicle into the foreign region is a complex procedure, and requires accurate information, while adhering to the regulations of New Zealand is essential. With the help of A1 Auto Transport service, this procedure can turn out to be a simple one. Your vehicle needs to pass certification procedure before entering New Zealand. NZTA approved certifier will provide this certificate after the required legal requirements are followed. It shows that the transported vehicle has met the minimum vehicle standard as per the age and brand of the vehicle. The certification comprises of physical inspection that ensures that the car or vehicle you are importing has accurate and working odometer while the safety standards are met. Your vehicle has to meet the minimal frontal impact standard.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
It is the responsibility of the importer to obtain this certificate before starting the vehicle registration process. It is vital for you to check with the New Zealand Transport Agency to be on the safer side, and contact A1 Auto Transport service regarding any queries, before shipping out the vehicle.
Duty-free import eligibility.
New Zealand is not going to impose tariff duties on used, personal vehicle that are being imported. Here, motorhomes are taxed with 10% custom fees. There is an Import Entry Transaction fee of $29.26 on vehicles that are priced above $1000. There will be an additional biosecurity system entry fee of $17. New Zealand charges “Goods and Services Tax,” mainly calculated on the value as determined by CIF. At present, the GST is 15% across all vehicle imports.
In case, you are a permanent resident of New Zealand, and can show proof of residence at the time of bringing in the vehicle, then the GST can be waived. Some of the pertinent documents that require to be submitted as resident of New Zealand include:
- Present residence permit or visa in New Zealand.
- Present returning permit or resident visa.
- Australian/New Zealand passport.
- Present NZ work visa for minimum 1 year.
- Present visitor’s visa with a due date of minimal three years.
Paperwork and procedures.
After the vehicle reached its destination, MPI official will inspect it and if there is any lapse, it will be quarantined. If it passes the inspection, the vehicle goes through customs for payment of taxes and then gets the clearance. Here, the importer must supply some documents, which will help the legal procedures.
- Commercial invoice (listed date, price and location of purchase)
- Passport/driving license.
- Title deed.
- Current registration.
- Insurance proof.
- Ocean Bill of Lading.
- Odometer reading (reading at USA and accurate mileage reading after import)
As per laws, New Zealand does not charge tariff duty; it is cheaper to import your vehicle to Christchurch. Ensure that you or A1 Auto Transport service gets a total verification on all of the information needed before starting the shipping of the vehicle. If there are any clarifications, questions or need additional help, contact the Embassy of New Zealand today.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory