The second largest city on the South island, in New Zealand, Dunedin is the major city in the Otago region. If you are moving here for business or to study, importing your car from USA might be a good idea.
However, if you are looking to start the process, it is best to get an international shipping service in your corner before you begin.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
New Zealand motor vehicle regulations.
It is essential that any vehicle imported to New Zealand passes all legal requirements and is awarded the clearance certificate by the NZTA-approved certifier. This is a standard assurance that vehicle meets or exceeds the quality standards as per the age and type of vehicle. It is a surety that the vehicle has an proper functioning odometer and the front impact requirements are met, apart from other requirements. This certification is necessary for the vehicle registration. If you want to know more about the process of shipping and registration of an imported vehicle, log onto New Zealand Transport Agency.
Tax exemptions and other costs.
When you ship your vehicle to Dunedin, it is important to know that there are no tariffs imposed on vehicles intended for personal use. However, if you are importing a motorhome, then you will be required to pay about 10% duty. For vehicles costing over $1000, you need to pay $18 as biosecurity system entry fee and approximately $30 as import entry transaction fee. Additional taxes include the 15% Goods and Service Tax based on the insurance costs, freight charges and the price of the vehicle.
The GST is waived if you are permanently moving to Dunedin and can show the proof of residence in New Zealand. The documents that you need to submit include:
- Valid New Zealand work permit/resident visa.
- Returning residence permit.
- Proof of ownership- NZ passport/Australian passport.
- New Zealand work permit for a minimum of 1 year.
- NZ visitors permit for 3 years.
As soon as the vehicle arrives in Dunedin, it is inspected and evaluated by the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI). After that the Custom clearances are given. To ensure that the whole process of import is legal, you need to submit these specific documents:
- Passport of the owner.
- Vehicle purchase invoice.
- Title deed and vehicle registration.
- Insurance certificate.
- Bill of Lading.
- Odometer Reading.
It is cheaper to ship to New Zealand as there are no tariff duties. It is essential that you ship your vehicle after clarifying with the shipping service. When you work with A1 Auto Transport service, we take care of the logistics on all levels.
There are two main methods of shipping to Dunedin. These include RORO wherein the vehicle has to be shipped empty and is drive on the deck secured in place and driven off at Dunedin. The other method includes container shipping where the vehicle along with other household items are packed within large containers and sealed. It is only opened when it reaches Dunedin. Container shipping is more expensive than RORO so talk with the shipping service about the best method.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?