Tauranga is considered to be the most densely populated cities in the region of Bay of Plenty in New Zealand. It was founded in the 13th century and was officially demarcated as a city in the year 1963.
It is also the center of one of the largest areas in the country and it’s a major business, trade, fashion and culture center for New Zealand.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
With this in mind, if you are moving here permanently or you are a returning citizen, you might want to import your vehicle as well. The process could be quite challenging and complex but if you have the right information and assistance by your side, it could be taken care of without any additional hassle. If you are here for a short while, it is important that you import your vehicle under the temporary permit where you don’t need to pay any import duty or other taxes. However, this is only allowed for a year. But irrespective of the tenure of auto import, all of the vehicles have to get a certification by the New Zealand Transport Authority or by an approved certifier with all the regulatory requisites in order to be able to import. This ensures that the vehicle meets the country’s import standard such as:
- Having a working odometer.
- In possession of Carnet de Passages en Douane (Carnet).
- Meets the minimum standard for frontal impact.
It is the importer’s obligation to get proof for the certification prior to registering the car. You can visit the site of the NZTA in order to get more information. Unlike the majority of countries, there is no tariff duty on vehicles which are intended for personal use. Motorhomes are, however, charged with 10% customs duty. For the vehicles with a cost over $1000, there is an import entry fee of $29.26 and $17.63 biosecurity levy.
Now, New Zealand usually imposes a Goods and Service Tax which is going to be based on the CIF value of the vehicle. The current amount of the tax is 15% and it could be waived if you have proof of residence where you are actually importing your car to and you intend to relocate permanently to NZ. In order to verify your residency, you have to have the following documents:
- Current permit or visa.
- NZ Passport/ Australian Passport.
- Current NZ WORK visa or a permit – for 12 months.
- Current NZ VISITOR’s Permit or visa – for 3 years.
Upon entering the city of Tauranga, the car is going to be immediately inspected by the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI). It’s also going to get transferred to New Zealand Customs Service in order to get clearance. In order to get it, you would have to provide the following documents:
- Bill of Lading.
- Purchase Invoice.
- Freight Cost and Invoice for Insurance.
- Readers of Odometer.
You are better off working with A1 Auto Transport service as we have over 20 years of professional shipping experience internationally. You can also contact the Embassy of New Zealand in Washington, D.C.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory