Wellington is the capital city of New Zealand. It is the second most popular urban area in New Zealand located between the Rimutaka Range and Cook Strait at the south-western tip of the North Island. Wellington was ranked 12th in the world by Mercer quality of living survey, 2014.
The process to import your own vehicle in Wellington can be a complex process. However, if you have an appropriate support from a well-established transport company, the story can be a little different. Also, in compliance with all legal requirements; the imported vehicles are required to pass a certification process given by a NZTA- approved certifier. During certification, your vehicle needs to pass the physical inspection and other test that ensures the efficient working of your car as per Wellington standards.
It is preferable to check the NZTA website before any shipping arrangement is made. Additionally, ensure that the certification proof is available with you well before the registration process starts as it is important.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Exemptions on Import duty.
Except for the motorhomes that are liable to pay 10% custom duty, there is no tariff duties imposed on personal use vehicles in New Zealand. A small import entry transaction fee along with biosecurity system entry levy is imposed on the vehicles worth $1000. The IETF costs around $29.26 whereas, the biosecurity system entry levy is payable to the Ministry for Primary Industries which costs $17.63. Also, charges under ‘Goods and Services Tax (GST)’ are calculated based on the CIF (Cost + Insurance + Freight) value of the vehicle by New Zealand. Currently, 15% tax is the flat rate in New Zealand.
Are you planning to move into New Zealand permanently with your vehicle? Well in that case you need to submit or verify your proof of residency on the importation date so that GST and custom duty in case of motorhome will be waived. Following are the examples of permit documents used to verify residency,
- Current residence Visa for New Zealand or permit.
- Current permit or RETURNING Visa.
- Passport for New Zealand.
- Passport for Australia.
- Current working permit for at least 12 months in New Zealand or visa.
- Current visitor’s permit for at least 3 years into New Zealand or visa.
Ministry for Primary Industries initially proceeds with immediate inspection and cleaning of the vehicle as soon as the vehicle is arrived into New Zealand. Further, it moves to the customs department for complete clearance.
Documents Needed for Import.
When the vehicle is getting examined for final clearance, it is time when necessary documents needs to be provided to the authority by the importer. The requested documents include,
- Total cost and date of purchase of your vehicle.
- Recent or last registration proof.
- Title Certification.
- Insurance invoice along with Freight Costs.
- Landing Bill.
- Odometer Reading.
Finally, be prepared with all necessary documents required, clear all your doubts before signing the shipping contract and seek help form a trustworthy and reputed automobile transport company like A1 Auto Transport service. For more details on the current import laws on vehicles, contact the Embassy of New Zealand.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?