Open Air VS Enclosed Shipping Methods
There’s a big difference between the two main methods of motorcycle shipping. As the owner of the bike, it’s up to you to decide what method is best for your vehicle’s transport. However, before making any decisions, it’s best to understand the difference between open air and enclosed shipping methods.
Open Air Shipping
The cheapest shipping method for motorcycles is open air delivery. When a vehicle is shipped through open air methods, it is usually secured to the back or a car hauler or flatbed trailer.
Although the motorcycle is left exposed to all outside elements, it is very rare that any damage is suffered along the way. With the technology used by the hauler’s driver, all potentially bad weather or road construction areas are avoided.
When open air methods are used, the vehicle doesn’t need to undergo as much preparation before its transport. The motorcycle is simply retrieved by the transporter on the day of its scheduled pickup then fully secured to the hauler using the right transport tools, materials and equipment. Once it is ready to go, the driver will head to the bike’s destination.
Open air shipping methods are highly preferred by manufacturers, dealerships and motorcycle enthusiasts. This shipping method is also used for multiple deliveries from one location to the next. Although this is a wonderful option for anyone looking to ship a bike, it is best for shorter distances of travel.
There are several enclosed shipping methods that customers can take advantage of when they must ship their bike. Enclosed shipping methods are best used for long distance or international deliveries. They are also preferred by those shipping valuable or antique vehicles.
Enclosed shipping methods are slightly more expensive than open air methods of shipping. They provide more protection against poor weather conditions, vandalism and other outside hazards. When you choose enclosed shipping methods, you may be asked by the transporter to prepare the bike a little more cautiously. When you ship your bike in a container, you may be asked to remove the handlebars, mirrors and other parts that protrude. Container shipping prevents the motorcycle from shifting while during its travels.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?