Deliver Your Car Stress Free and Have Peace of Mind
- Compare rates for shipping to or from New York
- Licensed, bonded and insured carriers near you
- Award winning service, always on time
- Get instant quotes using our form, or call: 1-800-452-2880
Safe And Reliable New York Car Shipping Services By A-1 Auto Transport
When most people think of New York, they refer to the Big Apple. However, there is much more to this historical state than meets the eye. Upstate New York is home to some of the most beautiful rural scenery in the country and there’s nothing like a spin through New York City. Many famous people call parts of New York home and there is certainly no shortage of entertainment options here. Shopping, beach mongering, recreation and more; however, while New York is also home to one of the most sophisticated public transportation systems in the world, it helps to have a vehicle to get around.
Cost & Time To Ship Your Car Examples
|Shipping To/From||Cost||Distance||Estimated Time In Transit|
|New York to Boston MA||$215||215 miles||2 – 4 days|
|Detroit MI to New York||$469||625 miles||3 – 5 days|
|Brooklyn to Asheville NC||$525||700 miles||3 – 5 days|
|Illinois to New York||$682||909 miles||3 – 5 days|
|New York to Florida||$690||1150 miles||4 – 6 days|
|New Orleans LA to New York||$783||1305 miles||4 – 6 days|
|New York to Texas||$1058||1764 miles||5 – 7 days|
|Denver CO to New York||$1067||1778 miles||5 – 7 days|
|New York to Phoenix AZ||$1204||2407 miles||7 – 9 days|
|Nevada to New York||$1025||2562 miles||7 – 9 days|
|New York to San Francisco CA||$1161||2902 miles||7 – 9 days|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and what type of vehicle you are shipping.
Using New York Car Transport Companies
When you are looking to book New York car transport services, keep a few key tips in mind.
- Shop around for rates: Anything you do up north can be a pretty experience; shop around for a New York auto transport company that provides you with the best rates. If you get quotes from different companies, you are bound to find the one that best fits your personal budget.
- Get ready to drive in the city: Driving your car in the city is no easy experience, particularly if you aren’t used to it. Prepare for traffic and more aggressive driving than you may be used to if you aren’t from the city.
- Plot points of interest: There is so much to see and do in the state of New York, and particularly in New York City. Plot out points of interest ahead of time to ensure that you don’t miss anything as you drive around a visit various regions of the state.
Visit the New York Department of Transportation website for more information on New York and the plentiful opportunities in which it can offer those visiting or relocating to the state.
Services And Information
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
New York Auto Transport Companies Directory
NEW YORK CITY
All-States Auto Transport
The name is just what it implies: an auto transport company based in New York which ships to various states around the country. Licensed, bonded and insured nationwide auto shippers with great BBB accredited customer reviews. Transports automobiles, vans, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles, boats and other heavy hauling with their open and enclosed auto transport carriers.
16 West 45th St., New York, NY
Snowbirds Auto Transporter
Those people that go south for the winter just like the birds that migrate from this area of the country might find a kindred philosophy in this auto shipping company, which can get your car south and back again.
537 West 34th Street, New York, NY
Always Affordable Auto Shipping
Anytime you need auto shipping regionally, nationally or internationally, Always Affordable is just what it says: right on time and in on budget.
378 Washington Street, New York, NY
Auto Shippers Express
Express is the key point behind this shipping company’s philosophy: they can get your car moved for an affordable price and in a very timely fashion.
954 Lexington Ave., New York, NY
Those looking for fairly affordable rates and different shipping options – including temperature control and fleet services – might find just what they are looking for in this New York auto transport company.
16 West 89th St., New York, NY
Billing itself as the most affordable auto transport broker, Tara Shipping can take care of all of your shipping needs.
52 Reade Street, New York, NY
Queens Auto Transport
This New York auto transport company specializes in shipping rare and vintage vehicles, as well as other types of cars, including fleets for dealers.
6123 190th St., New York, NY
Vehicle Registration in New York
You have to follow these steps in order to register a car with the DMV of New York:
- Visit the local office of the DMV;
- Complete the application for vehicle title and registration;
- Submit proof of ownership, vehicle insurance, and identification;
- Pay the taxes and fees for the license plates, and the title fee.
Registration for New Residents
When you take up residency in the state of New York, you’ll get a grace period of 30 days to register your car with the DMV.
To get your car registered, you must:
- Submit proof of your identity and auto insurance, as the state of New York only accepts insurance from inside the state;
- Submit a fully completed application for the car title and registration;
- Provide the title of the vehicle;
- Complete a form for an exemption in case your vehicle was bought prior to your move to New York;
- Provide payment for the applicable taxes and fees.
Cars that have Liens
If your title is held by a lienholder for a loan you got on your vehicle, the DMV will get the information recorded on your title and registration. You should submit the following documentation:
- A car title copy sent by the lienholder.
- A letter from your lienholder with the company letterhead, the owner’s information, the make, model, year, and VIN of the vehicle, as well as confirmation that the title certificate in original is in the lienholder’s possession and that the lienholder acknowledges the registration of the car in the state of New York.
- A card for insurance in the state of New York.
- An application for the vehicle title and registration.
- A form for an exemption from taxes valid for vehicles purchased before you took up residency in New York.
- Payment for the fees of registration.
How to Register a Car in the state of New York?
Vehicles circulating on the roads of New York have to be registered with the local DMV. The registration process might vary depending on the way in which you acquired the vehicle, if you bought it from a private individual, or from a car dealership.
Car insurance: Whether you are driving your vehicle or not, it is mandatory in the state of New York to have your car insured. You must provide proof of owning a car insurance policy if you are trying to register a vehicle in the state of New York.
Cars Bought from a Dealership
The registration process is easy for cars purchased from car dealerships, as the paperwork is usually submitted in your name by the dealership. Some companies will even issue temporary license plates and vehicle certificates for registration.
Due to them taking care of the paperwork for the registration, dealerships may charge a fee for this. If you decide to register the vehicle yourself, you should submit the following paperwork:
- Documentation received from the dealership agent at the moment you bought the vehicle:
- The origin certificate from the manufacturer,
- The sale bill issued by the dealer,
- The receipt for the sales tax.
- Proof of insurance recognized by the state of New York.
- A completed application for titling and registration.
- An ID card.
- Payment for the taxes and fees for registration.
Cars Bought from a Private Individual
If you want to transfer a vehicle title from a person to another, you need to have a car inspection done.
The registration process requires you to submit these documents:
- The title of the vehicle and the sale bill with the signature of the seller
- The damage disclosure and odometer statement must be filled on the backside of the certificate of title and signed by the selling party.
- A vehicle insurance card recognized by the state of New York.
- Your ID card.
- A completed application for vehicle titling and registration.
- Payment of the sales tax.
- Payment of the registration fees issued by the state of New York.
At the moment of registration, you will receive a sticker as an extension for inspection that entitles you to a grace period of 10 days, within which you have to get your vehicle inspected.
Car Registration for Military Members
If you’re a military member that resides in the New York state, but is stationed in another state, you should register your car in the state in which you’re currently stationed, and register with the DMV of New York upon your return. If you have to register a car in New York during your deployment to another state, you can register through a friend or family member or using mail.
Tax deferment for vehicles belonging to military members
Military members that reside in New York and are deployed in other states are able to defer the taxes on their vehicles if they renounce their NY residency while they are in another state.
To benefit from the tax deferment, one should complete an exemption form for sales taxes and pay the respective taxes when the military service is completed.
Military residents of other states stationed in New York
Military members stationed in the state of New York can keep the registration from the state they reside in if they don’t request residency in NY.
New York vehicle registration for absentees
If you are a resident of the state of New York and are in an impossibility to present yourself to the local DMV for your vehicle registration, you can apply by mail or through a second party.
Secondary Party Registration
If you cannot present yourself at the New York DMV to apply for registration, you can ask a family member, a spouse, or a friend to submit the car registration application in your name.
- You have to fill out the forms mentioned in the Mail Registration section.
- Your friend, spouse, or family member needs to submit the forms you filled out as well as the identification documents for you as the person who registers and themselves as well.
- The taxes and fees of registration must be paid.
The steps that must be followed in the registration by mail process are:
- Downloading the required forms from the online site of the DMV: application for titling and registration, the instructions on how to complete the registration application, a transaction statement, the tax exemption claim, a lien notice if the vehicle has a loan on it, and a credit of sales to claim credit for taxes paid to other states (if applicable);
- Gathering the required documents:
- Proof of ownership of the vehicle;
- Proof of a car insurance policy issued by a New York insurance company;
- Copies of your ID card;
- Performing the payment of all registration fees and taxes by including a money order or a check in the envelope.
The above-mentioned paperwork must be sent by registered mail, express mail, or by certified mail to the local DMV office. If you wish to receive the registration to a specific address, and not to the one mentioned in your registration form, you have to include in the envelope a note with the return address clearly mentioned.
Please note the mail will be delivered in a period of a maximum of 2 weeks and that the DMV has a grace period of up to 90 days to process your application and reply.
Fees of Registration in the state of New York
New York registrations cover a 2-year period given that all the taxes and fees were paid in full. Some of the applicable New York taxes include: the fees for the car’s license plates, the sales tax, the fees for the title certificate, the tax for vehicle use, etc. Cars with more than 6 cylinders and electric cars are submitted to an extra fee of approximately $33 that covers the 2 years registration.
Registration of custom-built vehicles
Custom-built vehicles are subjected to a different a registration process than regular cars. The New York DMV puts at your disposal a special application package that contains the forms you will need to get your custom-built vehicle registered.
Among the steps for the registration of a custom-built car are:
- Getting the car’s weight certificate.
- Submitting photos of the vehicle.
- Obtaining a VIN for the car.
- Passing the vehicle through a regular safety inspection.
Car Inspections in New York
Cars sold by a dealership will get an inspection within the first 30 days from the sale and the responsibility of assuring the inspection process falls onto the dealer.
Cars sold by private individuals must be subjected to an inspection in one of the following 10 days after the sale, the extension period being assured by the inspection sticker received on the day of the sale.
Vehicles bought from outside the state of New York will receive a sticker that should be used at their return to New York, before having the vehicle inspection.
Registering Cars Imported from Foreign Countries
Cars imported from other countries must pass the emissions standards of the New York state at the Border Protection and Custom office of the United States. A series of documents must be submitted in order to pass the process and to obtain a proper registration.
Other New York Resources
New York.gov – official government website for the state of New York.
New York Wikipedia Page – everything you need to know about the state of New York.
University Of New York – More than 175 years ago, Albert Gallatin, the distinguished statesman who served as secretary of the treasury under Presidents Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, declared his intention to establish “in this immense and fast-growing city … a system of rational and practical education fitting for all and graciously opened to all.” Founded in 1831, New York University is now one of the largest private universities in the United States. Of the more than 3,000 colleges and universities in America, New York University is one of only 60 member institutions of the distinguished Association of American Universities.
New York On Craigslist – local classifieds and forums for jobs, housing, for sale, personals, services, local community, and events.
Reviews from Customers in New York
My experience using A1 Auto Transport went well. I had to take my car from New York to South Carolina. I thought of several options, even driving it myself, but the cost and convenience of auto transport won me over.
I called A1 after reading some reviews, and it was a good choice. Joe detailed the entire process and gave me several cost and transportation options. He answered every question which convinced me he wasn’t some amateur.
Since I had to be in South Carolina by the 30th, I drove part of the way and left his team to handle the rest. They let me know when the car will arrive 24 hours prior, and it arrived in great condition. The stuff I left in it was still there.- Nicholas R.
I had my Mini Cooper transported with A1 Auto Transport, and I’m very glad I did. I used 2 transport services before trying A1 in the past. Both times, the communication was poor, I never knew when my car would arrive, and even when they did estimate an arrival date, the truck would always be late. The first time I had to pick up my car at 2 am from a parking lot 30 miles from my home.
Third time around, I chose A1 Auto Transport to get my car to New York, and I am very pleased with my decision. Working with Joe felt like a breath of fresh air. He was always available, very communicative, and made sure things went according to plan. The price was reasonable, and the truck arrived at my house at the exact time it said it would.
From that moment, I knew things would go well and they did. The initial quote stayed the same. I’m glad to report a successful experience.- Stephanie M.
Auto Transport Services in New York
- Albany County
- Allegany County
- Bronx County
- Broome County
- Cattaraugus County
- Cayuga County
- Chautauqua County
- Chemung County
- Chenango County
- Clinton County
- Columbia County
- Cortland County
- Delaware County
- Dutchess County
- East New York
- Erie County
- Essex County
- Franklin County
- Fulton County
- Genesee County
- Greene County
- Herkimer County
- Jefferson County
- Kings County
- Lewis County
- Livingston County
- Madison County
- Monroe County
- Montgomery County
- Mount Vernon
- Nassau County
- New Rochelle
- New York City
- New York County
- Niagara County
- Niagara Falls
- Oneida County
- Onondaga County
- Ontario County
- Orange County
- Orleans County
- Oswego County
- Otsego County
- Port of Albany-Rensselaer
- Port of Jefferson
- Port of New York and New Jersey
- Port Of Buffalo
- Putnam County
- Queens County
- Rensselaer County
- Richmond County
- Rockland County
- Saratoga County
- Schenectady County
- Schoharie County
- Schuyler County
- Seneca County
- St. Lawrence County
- Steuben County
- Suffolk County
- Sullivan County
- Tioga County
- Tompkins County
- Town Hempstead
- Ulster County
- Warren County
- Washington County
- Wayne County
- West Albany
- Westchester County
- White Plains
- Wyoming County
- Yates County