Transporting heavy cargo, machinery or equipment takes experienced haulers. Loading and unloading heavy cargo might require specialized utility vehicles, and the transporter must know how to plan the route, documents, and logistics. Such a trip is best if it’s planned beforehand, preferably 3-6 months before shipping heavy equipment.
If you have a heavy type of cargo that needs to get to a destination inside the US or abroad, the first step is to search for a specialized transport company. The first step is to search for “heavy haulers near me”, and start compiling a shortlist of companies that can perform this task and give you the best value for your money.
Here is what you need to know about transporting heavy equipment.
The Cost of Transporting Heavy Equipment
The cost of shipping is calculated using a number of variables that will influence the expenses and duration of the transportation. Also, the complexity of the job will dictate how many workers are needed for loading, transporting, and unloading the cargo. The more workers hired for more hours, the higher the costs.
Let’s list the factors that will influence the cost of transportation.
- Distance: One of the main factors that will dictate how much you will pay for your heavy haul is the distance the cargo has to travel. For local commercial or residential transport, there might be a fixed fee. For heavy transport, the cost is calculated as the price per mile. The longer the distance you have to travel, the lower the cost per mile will be.
- Number of Workers Needed: Depending on the size of the cargo, we might send two or more workers to handle the loading and unloading. Most often, heavy equipment or cargo needs special vehicles and knowledge to handle, and our workers at A-1 Auto Transport are ready to do the job.
- Time of the Year: Some months are busier than others, and prices tend to rise when there are lots of customers to take care of. At the same time, costs might be higher if the transport is done during heavy snow, storms, or rainy days. Timing your transport right might not be easy, but it helps a lot to book the shipping early on and give a time window for both the pick-up and drop-off.
- Size and Weight of Your Heavy Cargo: Heavy hauls pose a series of challenges to any transporter, and most of them are related to the size of the cargo. If your items, vehicles, or equipment have unusual dimensions and exceed the standard dimensions of a commercial trailer, truck, or hauler, we use specialized transporting equipment and, if needed, ship your items in pieces.
- Extra Services: If you need crated transport, container shipping, door-to-door transport, or other extra services, let us know and we will calculate a custom quote for your task.
- Insurance: Certain types of cargo need to be insured as per federal or state law. We at A-1 Auto Transport are up-to-date with the law requirements for specialized transport and will let you know if anything needs to be done on your part. In most cases, you won’t have to worry about fees and certifications, as they are included in the quote.
Why Choose A-1 Auto Transport?
We are one of the leaders in transportation services in the US and all over the world. A-1 Auto Transport has an extensive network of service points, every piece of equipment needed to transport any type of cargo, trained professionals, and the means to secure competitive prices.
We work with residential customers, as well as businesses, public organizations, even the Military. Our customers know that they can trust us to deliver their goods safely, quickly, and for an affordable price.
Contact A-1 Auto Transport to ask for a free quote today.