Located ninety-nine miles southwest of Berlin, Leipzig lies just south of the Rivers White Elster, Parthe, and Pleisse in the North German Plain. A bustling city, it is an important center of business and trade in the country.
You may have plenty of reasons to move to Germany from USA for a short term stay or for an extended period, but one of the basic needs will be to have your own transportation.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Regulations for Customs.
When bringing a vehicle over from the United States to Germany, you will need to follow the rules and regulations set forth by the German Customs Authority. You will also need to pay all value added tax, or VAT and import duties on your vehicle before you can complete the transport. You may be able to waive a few conditions depending on your circumstance. These conditions include:
- You want to move to Leipzig to become a permanent resident.
- The vehicle is registered in your name.
- You must have lived outside of the EU for the last twelve months.
- You have owned the vehicle you want to import for at least six months before shipping.
- You will export the vehicle back to the United States or you can sell it while in Germany before you leave Leipzig and return to the United States.
If you are unable to provide proof of these requirements or you want to waive your taxes and duties that are due, you will need to pay a duty fee that is equal to 10% of the value of your vehicle and 19% import tax. The value of your vehicle will be determined by the agent that works with you and the customs agent. They will verify the value by searching the United States manufacturer handbook. If you want to register your vehicle in Germany once it clears customs, the vehicle will need to be inspected first in order to verify that the vehicle passes the national safety standards. If it doesn’t pass the standard tests, then you won’t be able to drive the vehicle yet. Once the vehicle passes the technical inspection you will be able to register your vehicle at the Federal Motor Transport Authority. If you need more information on importing your vehicle, you can contact the German Embassy located in the United States.
Though many imports can be difficult as per Germany’s rules and regulations, auto imports are consistent with the United States laws, so the entire shipping process is easier than many places. It’s important to note that the duty on any imported vehicles in Germany is 10% and then there is a 20% VAT tax. If you are importing a motorcycle, the duty is 6% to 8% total. You can find out more about value added tax, or VAT in Germany here or you can contact the Germany Embassy in the United States.
Cost-Effective Shipping Options.
Before your vehicle can be shipped to Germany, you will need to determine which shipping method works best for you. All transport fees will need to be paid both local and international. You will receive a finalized quote once everything has been decided. The United States Customs will help you determine what information you will need and what you need to pay before your vehicle reaches Germany. If your paperwork is complete, you will then receive confirmation of the shipping and you will be asked to choose a shipping method. You will then need to pay all fees.
Shipping methods include Roll On/ Roll Off Shipping method, also known as RORO. This is the most affordable and preferred choice for shipping a vehicle internationally. With the Roll On/ Roll Off shipping, your vehicle will be driven directly onto the deck of the carrier ship where it will be fastened down for safety during transport. Once it reaches the port in Germany, it will be unfastened and driven off the deck of the ship.
Container shipping is another option. Your vehicle will be shipped in the container on a carrier ship where it will leave a port in U.S and be delivered to a port located in Leipzig. The shipping container is more expensive but it offers many advantages. You can ship all your personal items with your vehicle, you can choose a 20 foot or 40 foot container and you can share the container with others to save money.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory