Deliver Your Car Stress Free and Have Peace of Mind
- Compare rates for shipping to or from South Dakota
- Licensed, bonded and insured carriers near you
- Award winning service, always on time
- Get instant quotes using our form, or call: 1-800-452-2880
Safe And Reliable South Dakota Car Shipping Services By A-1 Auto Transport
While its state neighbor to the north takes the crown for the 4th least densely populated state in the country, South Dakota comes in at number 5. Spanning mostly expanses of prairies and mountains, there is plenty of recreation to be had around the state. For example, the Black Hills, home to Mount Rushmore, is a hot spot for hiking and mountain biking. East River and West River are both prime spots for fishing and kayaking. The culture here is pronounced, with a lot of Native American populations taking up residence around the state. Agriculture is huge here, with the state’s economy depending on it. Many people make the trek here to see Mount Rushmore, the Crazy Horse Memorial, and Deadwood; however, there are a number of other cool outdoor sights to visit around the state.
Cost & Time To Ship Your Car Examples
|Shipping To/From||Cost||Distance||Estimated Time|
|Omaha to Sioux Falls||$182||182 miles||1 – 2 days|
|Sioux Falls to Rapid City||$347||347 miles||2 – 4 days|
|Denver to Sioux Falls||$469||625 miles||3 – 5 days|
|South Dakota to Illinois||$538||717 miles||3 – 5 days|
|Ohio to South Dakota||$637||1061 miles||4 – 6 days|
|South Dakota to Tennessee||$689||1149 miles||4 – 6 days|
|Oregon to South Dakota||$840||1400 miles||4 – 6 days|
|Sioux Falls to Las Vegas||$848||1414 miles||4 – 6 days|
|Boston to Sioux Falls||$939||1565 miles||5 – 7 days|
|South Dakota to San Diego||$950||1583 miles||5 – 7 days|
|Miami to South Dakota||$1198||1997 miles||5 – 7 days|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and what type of vehicle you are shipping.
Using South Dakota Car Transport Companies
When you are looking to book South Dakota car transport services, keep a few key tips in mind.
- Consider the advantages of a company local to South Dakota: If you choose a national company, they might have better rates, but not better customer service than a South Dakota auto transport company. Depending on whether or not you need transport in or out of the state, weigh your options when choosing a local company.
- Consider door-to-door versus terminal transport: Because there aren’t a great deal of local cities and towns in South Dakota, choose wisely when considering having your vehicle delivered to a terminal. Depending on where you plan to be when the car arrives, you may be forced to pay the little bit of extra money for door-to-door shipping.
- Prep your car for a great deal of driving: There is so much to see when driving around South Dakota, so make sure you are prepared. Make your favorite playlists ahead time, research the nearest gas stations so you can fill up and make sure your car is filled with the proper fluids to ensure that you are able to drive around and enjoy this beautiful state.
Visit the South Dakota Department of Transportation website for more information on South Dakota and the plentiful opportunities in which it can offer those visiting or relocating to the state.
Services And Information
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
South Dakota Auto Transport Companies Directory
Schilling Auto Transport Inc
Schilling provides auto transport services for a variety of automobile types, including cars, pick-up trucks, motorcycles and more.
4701 East 22nd Street, Sioux Falls, SD
Lilli Transport Inc
Lilli Transport provides a wide range of transport services, depending on where the transport will take place and the consumer’s budget for transport.
2800 West 12th Street, Sioux Falls, SD
Summit Transport Services
Summit is based in Sioux Falls and provides statewide transport services.
1604 East Iris Place, Sioux Falls, SD
Dan’s Auto Transport
This locally-owned transport company offers regional services, providing auto transport around the Columbus, Nebraska region. Licensed, bonded and insured nationwide auto shippers with great BBB accredited customer reviews. Transports automobiles, vans, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles, boats and another heavy hauling with their open and enclosed auto transport carriers.
2836 East 38th Street, Columbus, NE
South Dakota Vehicle Registration
You must go in person to register a car in South Dakota at the DMV. For this, you will need ownership proof and several other documents. Registration fees are determined according to the car’s weight, age, and type.
If you’ve just moved to SD, you must register it at the DMV within 90 days. Bring the following documents:
- 608 MV Form;
- 610 MV Form if the car is younger than 7 years and weighs less than 16.000 pounds;
- A certificate for your current title;
- If you’ve paid 4% or more in taxes in another state, you won’t have to pay registration taxes in South Dakota as well. If you did not, you must consider these as well. For taxes paid in your former state, if they are less than 4%, you will get credit.
Go to the treasurer’s office in your local county in South Dakota in person to deliver the paperwork.
South Dakota Car Registration
You have 30 days to register a vehicle at the DMV if you’ve just bought it from a private seller or dealer. Titling and registration is normally handled by the car dealer. If the car was bought from a private seller, this must be done by you.
You will need the following documents:
- A 608 MV Form;
- Ownership proof:
- An origin statement from the manufacturer.
- An origin certificate from the manufacturer.
- A transferred title certificate.
- 610 MV Form if you car weighs 16.000 pounds at most and is younger than 7 years.
- An odometer discloser present on the title usually.
- Registration and title fees.
Go to the treasurer’s office in your county to send this paperwork in person. If the car was bought in another state, the registration process is the same as the one for new residents.
If you own motorcycles, ATVs, trailers, motorhomes, snowmobiles, or most vehicles with a motor, you must register them in South Dakota.
License plates: Standard license plates will be given to you after registering your automobile. You may also choose from different types of license plates at the DOR in South Dakota. You will have to prepare for more fees and forms if you want special license plates.
South Dakota Vehicle Registration Fees
The car’s weight, age, and type will determine the amount of fees you will have to pay to register it in South Dakota. Among the examples, we mention:
- If your personal car weighs 4 tons or less, you will have to pay $75 if it’s nine years old or less or $50 if its older than 9 years.
- If your motorcycle weighs less than 350 CC, you will have to pay $18 if it was built 9 years ago or sooner and $12 if was built later.
When registering a car, you should also consider the following fees:
- $10 title fee;
- $1 fee for solid waste;
- $1 fee for highway patrol;
- $10 fee for a lien notation;
- $5 fee for mailing.
The last 2 only apply in special circumstances. If you haven’t paid an excise tax in another state, you will have to pay it in North Dakota. Finally, there may also be county and local taxes to consider.
Vehicle Registration for Military Members
If you’ve been stationed in another state while being a resident of South Dakota, speak to the DMV in SD or to the treasurer’s office to register the automobile. The same applies for out of state residents stationed in South Dakota.
Other South Dakota Resources
South Dakota.gov – official government website for the state of South Dakota.
South Dakota Wikipedia Page – everything you need to know about the state of South Dakota.
University Of South Dakota – The University of South Dakota offers undergraduate, graduate and professional programs within the South Dakota System of Higher Education. As the oldest university in the state, the University of South Dakota serves as the flagship and the only public liberal arts university in the state.
South Dakota On Craigslist – local classifieds and forums for jobs, housing, for sale, personals, services, local community, and events.
Reviews from Customers in South Dakota
I had to get my daughter’s new Honda to South Dakota, so she wouldn’t have to drive it herself. I trust her driving skills, but not out of the city.
I’m glad Joe was available to help. He promised to handle it with the utmost care and at a good price. The very next day, a truck arrived to take it. I could finally rest easy. By the time my daughter knew what was going on, it was already on its way.
Thanks Joe! A1 Auto Transport is a truly reliable company. I’ll call again if I ever need to.- Sara W.
I shipped my Civic from to South Dakota using A1 Auto Transport. Stories of people losing their cars in transit or having to wait weeks for them when using other companies, made me a bit weary. But fortunately, my experience with A1 was the exact opposite. My car arrived 5 days after its departure, even faster than me.
The process felt a bit informal when I got updated on the transport’s status via text message. I was a bit stressed, but Joe’s reassurances made it bearable. I found another company with slightly lower prices, but they just didn’t seem trustworthy, so I chose A1.
I met the driver before the shipment, which was also reassuring. Somehow, they managed to keep my Civic for 3 days until I got to South Dakota to pick it up. I’m quite happy with my choice and I’ll give them a call when I go back home.- Hailey O. C.
Auto Transport Services in South Dakota
- Beadle County
- Brookings County
- Brown County
- Butte County
- Charles Mix County
- Clay County
- Codington County
- Davison County
- Hughes County
- Lake County
- Lawrence County
- Lincoln County
- Meade County
- Minnehaha County
- Oglala Lakota County
- Pennington County
- Rapid City
- Roberts County
- Sioux Falls
- Todd County
- Union County
- Yankton County