- How To Ship Your Motorcycle To Or From Australia
- Shipping Cost
- Temporary Licensing For Your Motorcycle
- Needed Documents
- Shipping Methods
How To Ship Your Motorcycle To Or From Australia
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- The cost of shipping a motorcycle to Australia from United States is around $1450 to $2150.
- Though container shipping is the safest option, there would be additional costs of import duties and other taxes that have to be considered.
The Commonwealth of Australia is a country that covers the Australian continent’s mainland. It includes Tasmania and other smaller yet adjacent islands. Considered to be the 6th largest country in the world, the neighboring countries include Indonesia, East Timor, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.
Traversing the wilderness and the modern cities of Australia on a motorcycle can enhance the experience. Thus, if you are planning to travel around or move here for work or study, it makes for a better decision to have your motorcycle imported from USA.
You can only ship a motorcycle over to Australia from the United States after seeking the approval to import of the Australian Department of Infrastructure and Transport. As long as your motorcycle meets the required criteria, your permit will be issued. If you are calculating the total cost of shipping the motorcycle, you will need to factor in the 10% GST that is applicable while there is no import duty.
Temporary Licensing for your Motorcycle
Any motorcycle coming to Australia for the first time will require an import permit that is issued by the Department of Road Transport in Canberra. If you import a motorcycle before gaining the permit, the bike will be held by Australian Customs Authority until you obtain the permit. While waiting on the paperwork, your motorcycle will be placed in storage and you will be charged the storage fees. If your motorcycle will be exported back out of Australia within 12 months of arriving, you will not need to have an import permit as this is considered a temporary import. Your motorcycle will be able to come into Australia by a carnet which is like having a passport for your vehicle with somewhat of a guarantee. To get a temporary permit, you simply need the detailed information provided on the title. We are A1 Auto Transport Service and our dynamic network of shipping agents in US and Australia will provide you with all the information you need to import.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Motorcycle Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
With strong diplomatic and trade relations, shipping a motorcycle from USA to Australia isn’t difficult. Irrespective of whether you need a Honda, Ducati, Victory or Saxon imported, you will need to have the following documents or copies of in order to progress through the import process:
- Purchase invoice for the motorcycle
- Quarantine packing declaration
- Bill of Lading
- Proof of insurance
- Passport or driver’s license with photo ID
The Customs Department in both the countries needs to ensure that the vehicle being exported or imported is as per the legal regulations. That is why ownership and validity of the import is verified.
Shipping your motorcycle is not something to take lightly. Another method that you can choose is the Roll-On/Roll-Off shipping method. With this method, you will need to keep in mind the following rules:
- You cannot have any personal effects on the bike - no riding gear or saddlebags
- Inspect your bike to look for any leaking fluids like oil or water. There will not be any leaking tolerated and if leaking is discovered, your motorcycle will be taken off the ship until you have the leaks repaired. This will be an extra expense for you.
- Only 1/4 tank of gas is allowed inside the tank
- Your motorcycle must be in good enough condition to be able to be driven on the road if using this method of shipping.
- Keys must be left in the starter switch.
- Your motorcycle must be cleaned all around and underneath. If not, your bike will most likely set in quarantine until it is cleaned at your expense and then wait for an available date to reload it again.
Container shipment is another option albeit it may be more expensive. If you have put a significant amount of money into your motorcycle you might be concerned about how well it is guarded. It can be created before being placed in a shipping container. A 20- or 40-foot container may easily accommodate your motorcycle for shipping. While personal items cannot be shipped with your motorcycle via the Roll On/Roll Off method the container can be packed to the brim with your other goods.