How To Register An Imported Vehicle In Romania: Process & Requirements
If you import a vehicle into Romania for permanent usage, you will be required to register it locally, which entails getting a local driver’s license. If you have a valid U.S. driver’s license, you can drive temporarily in the country for a period up to 90 days, provided you also have an international driving permit.
Roadworthiness Test In Romania
Any vehicle being registered in Romania for the first time, assuming it is for permanent use, must undergo a roadworthiness test. This also applies to any new vehicles imported into the country, as well as those purchased in Romania. New vehicles must be retested every two years. You can find a link to the Automotive Register at the bottom of this page, which is the body responsible for issuing the test.
The road test is common practice in European countries, both for cars that are bought locally, as well as those that are imported from the United States. They test for basic operational things to make sure the vehicle can operate safely on the roads, which includes an examination of the following components:
- Lights (including fog lights), blinkers, & hazards
- Brakes and tires
- Mirrors and wipers
- Seat belts
Shipping a vehicle to Romania? Learn more about the process, including preparations and expected costs, by visiting our international transport page for the country! Many of the most frequently asked questions are answered there.
Steps Required To Register A Vehicle & Necessary Documents
Before registering an imported vehicle in Romania, you’ll have to pay import and value added taxes. The import tax will vary on the type and size of the vehicle and the VAT is typically around 24% of the assessed value.
The process of registration can take some time as you’ll need to visit several different offices to get all the necessary documents, which include the following:
- Purchase invoice with Romanian translation
- Payment of VAT (value added tax)
- Proof of vehicular insurance
- Pollution tax payment
- Vehicle registration tax
- Registration certificate
- License plates
Romania Vehicle Resources
Automotive Register of Romania – The official automotive register for the country, which is a wing of the Ministry of Transport. Information you’ll find there includes test center locations, contact information, and much more.
U.S. Embassy In Romania (Driver’s License) – Information about getting a local driver’s license in Romania, including how to drive there if you’re a U.S. citizen. If you need to get a local driver’s license, you can find resources about the process by clicking the link.
Shipping a car to Romania is no easy task if you’re trying to do without the help of an expert. We’re here to answer your questions, offer guidance, and we always provide 100% FREE price quotes for shipments to any country in the world!
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?