Safe And Reliable Alaska Car Shipping Services By A-1 Auto Transport
When many people think of Alaska, they think of snow, ice, and extremely frigid temperatures. However, this extreme northern state is also home to some of the most stunning expanses of wilderness in the country as well as a diverse population that includes indigenous townsfolk and transplants that wouldn’t choose to live anywhere else. Tourism is big business here and many that visit wants to see the entire state, which means personal transportation is key for those traveling. This, in turn, makes Alaska auto transport a much-needed option for those planning to visit the state.
Cost & Time To Ship Your Car Examples
|Shipping To/From||Cost||Distance||Estimated Time In Transit|
|Anchorage to Seattle||$1130||2261 miles||6 - 8 days|
|Portland to Anchorage||$1217||2434 miles||7 - 9 days|
|Alaska to California||$1270||3176 miles||7 - 9 days|
|Las Vegas to Anchorage||$1346||3364 miles||7 - 9 days|
|Illinois to Alaska||$1436||3589 miles||7 - 9 days|
|Alaska to Houston||$1638||4096 miles||7 - 9 days|
|New York to Alaska||$1735||4337 miles||7 - 9 days|
|Alaska to Miami||$1979||4924 miles||7 - 9 days|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and what type of vehicle you are shipping.
Car Shipping Companies Near Me
Looking for auto transport companies near you in Alaska? Any car transports from Alaska are going to place thousands of miles on a vehicle. There are also plenty of tough terrains to tackle on that journey that might make the trip slow going or not doable for your specific vehicle. Rather than taking a risk by doing the driving yourself or hiring an independent driver who you’re not sure of their credibility, work with us instead. Head to A1 Auto Transport to compare brokerages and carriers with trucks in your area right now.
Tips For Using Alaska Vehicle Transport Companies
Since many people use their vehicles to tour this state, there are several options to keep in mind when it comes to Alaska car transport.
- Plan your travel itinerary ahead of time: This allows you to have a clear idea of where you might be headed, so that when you schedule your Alaska auto shipping, you can choose the locations from which you plan to start on your adventures with the trucks (enclosed or open air trailers) and licensed drivers you want. You don’t want to pick up your vehicle hundreds of miles away from where you plan to start your sightseeing excursions, if you don’t have to.
- Make sure your Alaska automobile shipping company of choice ships to Alaska: No, it’s not the edge of the world, but many parts of the state are fairly remote. So, when you consider Alaska auto transport, make sure that the company you are interested in using can ship to the city destination of your choice before planning out the rest of your trip. Check reviews of the company you are considering shipping with - the internet online is always a great place to start. Make sure they have the required amount of insurance for your shipments at the pricing which fits into your budget. Ask for seasonal discounts and specials.
- Prep your car ahead of time: Alaska vehicle shipping involves taking your car through some fairly cold conditions if you are shipping in one of the cooler months. Make sure your car is not only prepared ahead of time for transport through colder climates, but also make sure that it is ready for you to drive through rather inclement weather if you are traveling at a time of year when the state is seeing regular snowfall.
Alaska car shipping allows you the opportunity to see all that this beautiful northern locale has to offer without incurring the expense and downright inconvenience of renting a vehicle. Spend the time in the car in which you are familiar seeing the sights without having to learn to navigate an entirely different vehicle through what can sometimes be challenging terrain. This is part of what makes Alaska automobile transportation one of your best options if you plan to travel to the state in the near future.
Visit the Travel Alaska Department of Transportation website for more information on transporting your automobile.
Long Distance Auto Transport to/from Alaska
There are several ways A1 Auto Transport can deliver your vehicle to Alaska:
- With an open carrier: This is a cheaper option, though the delivery may take some time.
- With an enclosed carrier: Though more expensive, it is considered safer and the speed of delivery is also increased.
- Terminal to Terminal: You can save money by driving your car to a nearby terminal. There, it will be picked up by our company and transported to a terminal near the place you need it delivered.
- Door to Door transportation: This is the most convenient method, though more expensive than the terminal option.
A1 Auto Transport also offers door to terminal and terminal to door services, so you can benefit from a customized auto transport service.
International Auto Transport from/to Alaska
We can ship your car not only to another state, but to another country as well. The steps you’ll have to take are the following:
- Contact our company;
- Discuss and decide on the best shipping arrangement, then sign the agreement;
- Prepare your car and the required documentation;
- Hand over your car to our staff at the discussed time and location;
- At the drop off point, retake possession of your vehicle, check its state, and sign the remaining documents.
You can begin the process right now with a single call to our office.
Cheap Car Transportation Options in Alaska
There are several ways in which you can reduce your auto transport costs. Using terminals is one such method. When the carrier has to pick up your car from your home, he will usually have to take a detour, which requires more time and fuel.
However, if you drive your car to one of our numerous terminals, this extra trip is no longer necessary, so the shipping price is lower as well. For optimal results, a carrier can deliver your car to another terminal near your destination.
Remember to use an open carrier if you wish to cut down costs. These are bigger and in higher numbers, so the price of shipping with one is lower.
If the time of your shipment is not an issue, we recommend taking advantage of our seasonal offers. You may be eligible for other discounts as well. For more details, call us today.
Shipping Luxury and Classic Cars in Alaska
Shipping antique or luxury vehicles to Alaska can be difficult as various factors can endanger them along the way. Road debris can damage the paint or make dents in the body. Snow and rain are also problems that classic and luxury car owners may want to avoid.
Fortunately, exotic cars are fully protected from the weather and from any other external factors when using enclosed carriers. They are also guarded from potential thieves, since the contents of the truck remain confidential.
Alaska Special Discounts
Seniors and students who need to transport one or more vehicles to Alaska get a guaranteed discount when choosing our auto transport services. Military members benefit as well from a discount. Repeat customers or first-timers might also receive a special offer, since seasonal discounts are available at times.
Auto Transport Safety Measures in Alaska
Every auto transport company makes the vehicles’ safety its top priority. Before handing over the car to our driver, he will inspect it thoroughly. He will take pictures and ask you to sign a document confirming its state at the pickup point.
We recommend you check the automobile yourself to make a comparison when you receive it. If you spot any extra dents or scratches, you can report them to be compensated for your loss.
It’s in the company’s interest to deliver the vehicle as they’ve received it. Both open and enclosed carriers are designed to strap each car in place, so they cannot move and bump into others while on the road. Beams and other measures protect them from the elements, so there’s almost no chance of something happening during transport. And even if it does, you’ll be compensated for the damage.
Get a free, no obligation to buy, price quote for your shipment.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
How to Request a Price Estimate
It can be up to 15% cheaper in the long run to call our company directly. We are available 24/7 at the number written at the top of the page.
To receive a price estimate online, we recommend you use our “Get an Instant Quote” form placed at the top of the website as well. Follow our instructions and you’ll get a speedy response.
Alaska Auto Transport Companies Directory
Alaska Marine Lines
This barge company offers auto, motorcycle, and boat transport to various ports, including bi-weekly service to Juneau specifically. This company is fairly diverse, offering a vast array of transport options for those that need to get large items transported to the Juneau area.
100 Mt. Roberts Street, Juneau, AK 99801
Situated in Juneau, this is another option for those that need auto transport in and out of Juneau. This company has a number of docking options around the state, making it ideal for travelers that may end up any number of places in the state.
6700 W. Marginal Way SW, Seattle, WA 98106
*On November 1, 2013, Northland joined the Lynden family of companies and is now a service of Alaska Marine Lines.
Totem Ocean Trailer Express
Shipping in and out of the state, this is a good choice if you need an Alaska car transport company that can offer service around the state and in the Washington state area as well.
2511 Tidewater, Anchorage, AK 99501
Northern Air Cargo
The beauty of this Alaska auto transport company is that it can get your car out of Anchorage and to any point in Alaska with an air strip of at least 3,500 feet.
3900 Old International Airport Road, Anchorage, AK 99502
Alaska Auto Transport
Serving the entire state, and beyond, the company has all of the necessary tools to get your vehicle to any points of interest in the state.
4600 Gambell Street, Anchorage, AK 99503-7408
Wrightway Auto Carriers
This auto transport organization has served the state for roughly 60 years and can ship vehicles in and out of the state. In fact, Wrightway has terminals designated around the state for ease of access for customers needing to get their vehicles shipped.
904 Aurora Drive, Fairbanks, AK 99709
Car Registration Procedure in Alaska
The DMV requires Alaskan residents to register and title their vehicles, which you can accomplish via mail, if certain pre-requisites are met, or in person. Based on the vehicle type, car registration may involve a fee and may not be completed by phone or online.
New Alaska Residents
Note: You can register via mail if an Alaska DMV location is more than fifty miles from your place of residence. If not, you must complete the registration in person. Please refer to below.
New residents must title and register their cars at the AK DMV office in person. You must complete this within ten days of employment or when starting your residency in Alaska.
Using an updated out-of-state vehicle registration, visitors to Alaska are permitted to drive their cars for a maximum of sixty days.
At your local AK DMV office, follow these steps to title and register your vehicle:
- Submit your car title.
- Present a copy of the title if your vehicle has a lien on it and is currently on hold offshore.
- DMV issuance of registration is only provided for cars with titles outside of AK.
- Prepare Form 812 (Title and Registration Application)
- If you’re confirming on the vehicle owner’s behalf, or if your car is leased, present a notarized POA (Power of Attorney)
- Have a DMV-authorized inspector perform an inspection on your VIN.
- Submit titling/registration payments for taxes and fees.
- Refer to AK Registration Penalties and Fees below.
Private Seller-Bought Vehicles
Vehicle Registration in Alaska
You must register and title your vehicle at the Alaska DMV office in person within thirty days of purchase. Alaska car titles cannot be requested for via mail.
Starting 15th of January 2014, residents who have a disability and/or are over sixty-five years old will be provided with permanent license plate tabs/stickers for their car registration.
Dealer-bought vehicles: After purchasing a car from a dealer in Alaska, he usually submits the registration/titling documents to the Alaska DMV office.
If your dealer is out of state or does not volunteer to put the documents forward, you need to visit the DMV office in your area and:
- Complete Form 812 (Title and Registration Application);
- Submit a signed vehicle title or Manufacturer’s Affidavit of Origin;
- If required, present your VIN to a DMV-authorized inspector for inspection;
- Settle payment for relevant titling/registration taxes and fees.
For additional information, see Alaska Registration Penalties and Fees. For transfers of license plates, below is the section for Transferring License Plates in Alaska for additional information.
Private Seller-Bought Vehicles
If a private seller sold you the vehicle, he must endorse the title and sign it over to you prior to titling and registration.
Once ready, you must submit the following to your nearest DMV office:
- An accomplished Form 812 (Title and Registration Application);
- Your signed/endorsed title;
- If required, present the following:
- A certified POA,
- An odometer acknowledgement statement,
- A release of claim/lien;
- The preceding registration;
- A DMV-authorized inspection of your VIN;
- Payment for any relevant vehicle titling and registration fees;
If you’re an Alaskan resident and an Alaska DMV location is more than fifty miles from your place of residence, you can mail your Alaska vehicle registration documents.
NOTE: The AK DMV office will return your documents if they are determined to have been mailed from a location with a nearby DMV office. You will need to accomplish in person the vehicle titling/registration to your nearest Alaska DMV location.
To mail in your car registration documents, you must include:
- A Form 812 (Title and Registration Application);
- Proof of Purchase, such as:
- Manufacturer’s origin, for dealer-bought vehicles,Undersigned title, if sold by a private seller;
- Prior registration;
- If needed, the documents below:
- An odometer acknowledgement statement.Information on lien holder;
- A DMV-authorized inspection of your VIN;
- Payment for any relevant vehicle registration and titling fees.
For detailed fee information, refer to AK Registration Penalties and Fees.
Transferring License Plates in Alaska
Procedures to follow when transferring an AK car license plate from a car you own currently to a recently bought vehicle:
- A completed Form 812 (Title and Registration Application);
- Request for a license plate transfer in the affirmation or affidavit section;
- Provide the license plate number;
- Include the vehicle’s registration documents or present a letter that has the car description and serial number;
- If applicable, submit a $5 payment fee with a money order or personalized check.
Note: Installation of the plate must be done only after you have completed the new vehicle’s tabs and plate registration.
Vehicle Registration for Non-Residents and Military Personnel
Whether stationed out-of-state or in Alaska, several vehicle registration options are available for Alaska military members depending on station location.
AK military members in active duty: If you’re an Alaskan resident and stationed within the state, follow the steps presented above for Vehicle Registration.
Aside from the documents listed above, present the following documents when transporting and registering an offshore automobile into Alaska.
- An up-to-date Statement of Earnings and Leave with Alaska stated as your origin of record;
- For vehicles shipped from outside of the US, present Military shipping documentations.
Military members stationed outside Alaska: If you’re a member of the military and an Alaskan resident serving outside of the state, you may title and register a vehicle you have purchased while on duty within the state you’re currently stationed. Upon your return, you are required to complete the registration and title transfer to Alaska.
You have the option to send your registration and the title paperwork of your new vehicle via mail to the Alaska DMV office. Aside from following instructions in the Remote Areas section above, provide the following additional documents:
- An up-to-date Statement of Earnings and Leave with Alaska stated as your origin of record;
- For vehicles shipped from outside of the US, present the Military shipping documentation;
- Your present address where your title, car registration documents, and license plates will be mailed;
- Make sure to have your address updated with the Alaska DMV to continue receiving renewal notifications of your registration.
The application process will take approximately eight weeks to be completed.
Note: The AK DMV requires no proof of emissions testing if you give an address outside of Alaska. You must, however, fulfil the test requirements in the state where you’re currently stationed.
Alaska military members who are non-residents: As a military non-resident of AK, if you’re stationed in the state and if you own a vehicle registered outside of AK, you must first register it in your own state before you can legally drive it in Alaska.
The section New Alaska Residents above outlines the instructions you need to take for vehicle registration. A completed Form 828 (Military Affidavit) is also required to obtain registration fees or tax exemptions for every individual vehicle.
Vehicle Registration penalties and Fees in Alaska
In Alaska, vehicle registration fees differ by type of vehicle:
- $100: Passenger vehicle,
- $100: truck or van 10,000 lbs or less,
- $60: Motorcycle,
- $5: Transfer of Plates,
- $15: Applicable title fee,
- $15: Recording of lien,
- $15: Copy of Title,
- $2: Copy of registration,
- $5: License Plate duplicates.
Important note: The MVRT is assessed in certain boroughs and municipalities. For a comprehensive index of registration penalties and fees, visit AK DMV’s page. MVRT and registration fee exemptions are extended to residents and veterans with disabilities.
Starting with the 15th of January 2014, residents who have a disability and/or are over sixty-five years old will be provided with permanent license plate tabs/stickers for their car registration.
Refunds for AK registration: Your registration fees may be refunded if, after having left Alaska, you’ve completed a vehicle registration in your current or new state prior to the start of your last Alaska registration period. Along with your AK vehicle tabs, you have to complete Form 853 (Client Refund Request) and send it to the mailing address provided in the form.
Other Alaska Resources
Alaska.gov - official government website.
Alaska Wikipedia Page - everything you need to know about the state.
Alaska Marine Highway System - official site of the State Ferry.
Alaska.com - travel, jobs, homes, fishing, hiking and more....
Alaska On Craigslist - local classifieds and forums for jobs, housing, for sale, personals, services, local community, and events.