- Driving All The Way Across The Country
- Hiring A Driver
- Calling A Moving Company
- Choosing The Right Method
- Tips For A Safe Shipment
Although there are many ways of shipping cars across the US, you need to choose the one that is right for you. The factors that you need to consider may depend upon your budget, the type of car and the time of travel.
Driving All the Way Across the Country
This could work out to be the cheapest way as all you have to do is pay for the gas. However, there could be a few disadvantages such as the following –
- Running short of gas and the nearest gas station would just happen to be a few more miles away
- Having to change a punctured tire in the middle of nowhere
- Getting tired
- Getting bored of the long drive
Also, there is the time factor where you just cannot afford to take so much time off work. That does not mean that driving across the country gets ruled out totally. Here are the advantages of driving the car across the country –
- You can save on your flight ticket cost
- You get a nice holiday driving across the countryside
- Sometimes this might be faster than giving your car to a moving company
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
Hiring a Driver
That would be fine but then you might end up worrying about the exact whereabouts of your car. To get around this problem, you can try installing a tracking device. Check whether the driver’s insurance has cover for accidents and always ask for a few references before you hire. Make a contract clearly stating the terms and conditions so that you know who will pay for damages if any. If you do not know anything about writing contracts, then go through a drive away services company which will take the trouble to find a driver for you. They will take the responsibility of screening the driver and keeping track of the car.
Also, you can do a little search on the internet to see whether there are other people who want to do the same route as you but are unable to afford to pay for their travel. In such cases, you can strike a deal with them and you will probably just end up paying for the gas.
Calling a Moving Company
This falls into two categories –
- Moving company – There is no broker’s fee to be paid here and you can even find some companies giving loyalty points for regular customers. Moving companies have years of experience transporting vehicles across the United States and will take care of the job for you from start to finish. All you have to do is wait for the car to be delivered to the destination
- Brokers – You might have to pay a small extra fee for the commission but for the most part, brokers try to find out the cheapest option for you. They will search through their extensive network to find the company that offers the best rate and does the same route that you want to do.
Choosing the Right Method
Now that you have decided to get a professional moving company, it is time to sit down with the person in charge and discuss the best method of shipping your car. Nowadays many prefer to use an open carrier to transport their new cars and all that they have to worry about is a little dust. However, open carriers are cheaper than closed ones and you choose the latter option only in times of harsh weather or if the car in question is an antique or an expensive one.
Tips for a Safe Shipment
- Always make sure that there are no personal items or valuables in the car as you will be disabling your alarm system for the shipment.
- Have only a quarter tank of gas or even less than that. This will lighten the load on the truck and will help in having a safe journey.
- If you do not have to meet any deadline, then choose fair weather for the shipment. You might have to wait for a little while but it is better than having to worry about snow, storm or hail.