The process of shipping agricultural equipment depends on its type. There are many large, heavy pieces of equipment involved in the agricultural industry. With new contraptions being made consistently, it’s important that any transport company offering shipping services to those in need, have the right equipment to keep up with the innovations. All precautions must be taken when such heavy and large equipment is transported. The transport must also meet the guidelines set by the FMSCA.
How to Ship Agricultural Equipment
Perhaps the most important thing you can do to look after the safety of your agricultural equipment during a transport is hire a licensed and reputable shipping company. They’ll follow all laws regarding heavy equipment shipping and have everything they need to conduct the transport safely. It’s necessary to have the proper gear and training if you’re going to offer these shipping services as a transporter.
The Importance of Preparing Your Agricultural Equipment
In order to keep your equipment and those caring for its transport safe, you must prepare it for the transport accordingly. When you properly prepare the agricultural equipment for the shipping process, you are assuring a smoother transport and creating less risk factor.
Get a free, no obligation to buy, price quote for your shipment.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
Prepping the equipment is one of the only responsibilities you’ll have during the process of shipping.
- If your equipment needs to be packaged for its delivery, package it according to its manual. If you no longer own the manual, check the manufacturer’s website or contact them for more information.
- Clean any debris and dirt off the equipment before the transport.
- Take photographs of it in its current condition.
- Release any fluids and disconnect the battery for certain transport methods. The transport company will specify.
- Remove or secure any loose parts.
- Contact your insurance company to see if it is still covered under the insurance policy during the time of transport. Although, by law all transport companies are required to carry a minimum amount of insurance protection.
- Cover and protect any parts that shouldn’t have exposure to outdoor elements.
- Make sure that the transport company has the right documentation and permits ready.
- Make sure you have plenty of room for the agricultural equipment to get picked up by the transporter’s hauler.