Shipping a car to Winnipeg from the United States.
Moving internationally comes with its own set of challenges – even more so when you bring a vehicle along. Between shipping methods and customs regulations, there’s a lot of information to take in, and it can be overwhelming. Fortunately, A-1 Auto Transport keeps your vehicle safe and secure, while providing you with all the necessary information you’ll need throughout this process. Trust in our decades of experience shipping cars to locations throughout Canada.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Located at the convergence of the rivers Red and Assiniboine, Winnipeg is the capital city of Canada’s Manitoba province. Known as the “Gateway to the West”, this metropolis is one of the country’s best connected, with major links to railways and multi-directional highways. It’s also the only city between Thunder Bay and Vancouver with direct rail connections to the USA.
The importation process is pretty straightforward between the US and Canada, but you will need a couple of important items:
- Notarized copy of photo ID.
- An original copy of the vehicle’s title, certified by the DMV.
Preparing your Vehicle.
There are a number of simple preparatory tasks and checks that should be performed on your end beforehand:
- What’s your fuel level? We generally recommend leaving the tank at about ¼ capacity. This helps movers with loading and unloading while keeping weight at a minimum.
- Are the brakes in proper working condition? Double-check them before shipping.
- Have you turned off the car alarm? Doing so helps prevent battery drain.
- Have you emptied the car of personal belongings? Please do not leave anything in the vehicle other than emergency equipment like the spare tire.
- Have all exterior accessories been removed? Fixtures like antennae and ski racks should be taken down.
- Is the car clean? A thorough wash, inside and out, helps expedite the inspection process.
Shipping Options Available to You.
Select first whether you’ll desire roll-on/roll-off shipping or container shipping. Open shipping is usually the less expensive option, with vehicles driven right aboard the carrier vessel, while container shipping places vehicles inside cargo containers for an extra layer protection and security. Though most find roll-on/roll-off shipping to be satisfactory for their needs, those with particularly valuable vehicles (especially antiques) may find container shipping preferable.
You’ll have a choice of pickup and delivery options as well. In door-to-door shipping, the shipper collects the vehicle from you and delivers it right to your desired destination; while terminal-to-terminal shipping spares this expense, though you’ll be responsible for bringing the vehicle to the terminal of departure and picking it up in Winnipeg.
Canadian Customs has established a set of regulations governing the importation process. Note a couple of quick points below, but feel free to check their website for a full list of rules and requirements.
- A copy of the original title must be submitted to the border station you’ll be passing through, at least 72 hours prior to crossing. Failure to do so can result in a fine.
- Not all vehicles will meet Canadian regulations regarding emissions and other factors, so check that yours is acceptable by viewing the Canadian Registrar of Imported Vehicles.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory