The Kingdom of Tonga is a sovereign state, comprised of more than a hundred and fifty islands that spans well over seven hundred thousand kilometers. If you have plans of enjoying the tropical climate on Tonga islands for an extended period, you may interest in having your vehicle imported to make traveling throughout the area easier.
Exporting a vehicle into Tonga can seem challenging, but when you leave it up to the experts like A-1 Auto Transport we can ensure that your vehicle makes it to its destination in a timely fashion and in one piece.
Popular Shipping Destinations
Vehicle Requirements for Entering Tonga
All new and used vehicles entering Tonga must comply with government regulations To ensure that the vehicle meets those requirements, all automobiles entering the island must undergo a certification process. During this phase the importer must provide documentation showing that the vehicle meets government approved safety standards. For instance, all imported automobiles must have a correct odometer reading and vehicles with at least nine passenger seating must comply with frontal impact safety standards.
Vehicles imported into Tonga must also undergo a physical inspection to make sure that the vehicle that it’s components meets standard safety requirements.
Customs Charges and Tariff Duty
In Tonga, motor vehicles aren’t subject to tariff duties. However, ambulances and mobile homes are the exceptions. Customs charges are calculated based on the market value of the vehicle overseas. It also includes insurance costs and vehicle registration fees.
Motor vehicles are also subject to goods and services tax (GST) which is 15%. GST is based on the customs value of the vehicle, the shipping fees and insurance costs.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Tonga
- Bill of Lading
- Invoice that shows the price of the vehicle and the year it was bought
- Registration papers
- Odometer at the time of importation
Protecting Your Vehicle
Tongan custom’s department advises against packing personal belongings in an imported vehicle for several reasons:
- During the times your vehicle is not containerized which is while it’s awaiting shipment or collection, your belongings will be susceptible to theft.
- Also, the shipper has to account for everything that is inside of the vehicle when it arrives at Custom’s department
Motor vehicles entering Tonga may qualify for concessionary entry based on the following criteria:
- If the imported vehicles is for personal use and not financial gain.
- If you have a permanent residency documents on the date of importation.
- If you complete a written undertaking that indicates that you are responsible for Customs fees if the vehicle is sold or disposed of within two years of the importation date.
- If you have used and owned the vehicle for at least a year before your departure.
- If you’ve resided in Tonga or New Zealand at least 21 months before your arrival.
* The Tonga and New Zealand government are in correlation with each other. Both countries share custom regulations.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?
Ship Your Vehicle With A-1 Auto TodayGet an Instant Free Quote Now
Or Call us today at 1-800-452-2880 and speak to directly to our sales team!