As the capital of Tonga, Nukuʻalofa is the largest port city and the focal point of trade, business and education in the country. It is situated on the Tongatapu Island and has pristine natural beauty, attracting tourists and expatriates alike. If you want to go on an extended stay at Nukuʻalofa, it might be better to import your own vehicle and enjoy touring the islands better.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
However, it is important to know that shipping your vehicle alone can be time consuming and complex. However, when you leave it to the experience of A1 Auto Transport Company, you can be sure to get a safe and speedy delivery at the best price. It is important to know that compliance with the import laws of Tonga is important. It starts with:
- The safety and roadworthiness tests are done on all imported vehicles, after which you get the certificate.
- You are required to submit documents that show the age and odometer reading for all vehicles.
- The frontal impact safety standards need to be there in vehicles that can seat more than 9 passengers.
- Physical inspection is done to ensure all safety protocols and procedures are maintained.
Documentation and Custom Levies.
As per Tonga laws, there are no tariff duties but there are import levies on mobile homes and ambulances. However, there is Goods and Service Tax (GST) of 15% on all vehicles based on the evaluated vehicle price, insurance, shipping and registration fees. There is important documentation to be complete which validates your import as legal. Thus, there are many documents to be submitted at the domestic U.S port and at the Port of Nukuʻalofa by the Tongan Ministry of Revenue and Customs Services. These are listed here:
- Ocean Bill of Lading.
- Proof of ownership- driver’s license, passport.
- Purchase invoice with all the details – VIN, make, model.
- Title deed and Registration papers.
- Odometer reading and documented.
- IE462 form.
About Tax exemptions on imports.
Imported vehicles are eligible for concessions and tax exemptions, if it meets the eligibility as mentioned:
- If you intend importing the vehicle for personal use, not to sell.
- If you are moving to Tonga permanently by submitting the residency documents.
- Can give a written undertaking to pay the full custom levies or fee, if car is sold within 2 years of importing it.
- If you have been staying in New Zealand or Tonga for over 21 months before the import.
- Have owned and used the vehicle for 12 Months in USA, before it is imported.
Shipping your vehicle safely is essential. You are not allowed to put personal belongings within the vehicle especially if you ship by RORO. However, if you are shipping the vehicle inside the 20 feet or 40 feet container, you can put the household goods alongside the vehicle. Talk with A1 Auto Transport about the most suitable shipping option for your car import. You can also contact the Embassy of Tonga for the latest updates.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?