Do you want to ship your vehicle to St. Thomas from the USA?
Shipping A Car To St. Thomas
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Typical shipping costs are from $1,600 to $3,600 to transport a car from the U.S. to St. Thomas.
- Costs will vary based on the type, size, and weight of the vehicle, as well as the point of origin within the United States.
St. Thomas is one of the islands that contributes to the archipelago known as the US Virgin Islands. Because it is a US territory, the rules and regulations regarding importing a vehicle from the US are not nearly as stringent as when shipping overseas internationally. It is still very important that you work with a reputable auto export company to ensure the smoothest process possible.
It is in your best interest to first determine whether or not it is cost-effective to ship your car into St. Thomas. Transportation throughout the island can be very difficult without a vehicle, as public transportation is minimal and taxis are very expensive. There is also a large dealer markup on vehicles sold on the island, so you will probably find that as long as your vehicle is capable of handling the somewhat rough terrain of St. Thomas, it is worthwhile to bring it with you.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To St. Thomas
- Current Registration
- Bill of Lading
- Vehicle Title (or notarized permission from lien holder allowing the vehicle’s transport)
- Current US Driver’s License
- Bill of Sale/Commercial Invoice (if available)
- Proof of registration
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Steps of Procedure:
- After arriving with your vehicle in St. Thomas, you must first pass through Customs. If your vehicle is manufactured in the United States, there will be no duty fees owed. If you are unsure, check the VIN number. VINs beginning with 1, 4, or 5 are from the US, and therefore not obligated to pay duty. If the VIN begins with 2 or 3, the duty is 6% of the vehicle’s value as determined by either the bill of sale or the current blue book calculation. If the VIN begins with 6 or a letter, the duty is 3.5% of the vehicle’s value.
- You must now bring the Bill of Lading, provided by your shipping company (www.a1autotransport.com) to the Internal Revenue Office (http://www.vibir.gov/) to pay the road tax which is currently at 16 cents per pound (vehicle weight). Be sure to keep your receipt as you will need it to register your vehicle.
- Before you are able to move your vehicle from the dock, you will need to obtain auto insurance. After your insurance is in place, you must request a moving permit from the Department of Motored Vehicles (http://www.usvibmv.org/). The fee for this permit is $5 and will allow you to transport an unregistered vehicle to the DMV to complete an inspection and proceed with registration.
- The vehicle must then pass an inspection given by the DMV before you are able to register it. It is at this point, you will need to present all the previous documents used in the shipping procedure, including proof of insurance.
You will be able to use your stateside driver’s license for a grace period of 90 days in order to allow you time to obtain a valid Virgin Island’s driver’s license. In order to obtain your new license, you will need only to trade in your current stateside license, and you will not be required to take any tests.
Because St. Thomas is considered a US territory, the official language is English, and without a language barrier, shipping your vehicle can be a breeze. Just make sure to enlist the help and support of a great auto transport company and ALWAYS remember to drive on the LEFT.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?