Ship Your Car To Or From South Korea.
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Shipping a car to South Korea from the United States will generally cost from $2,400 to $5,500.
- Most shipments to the area are done in a shipping container, which can fit most standard sized cars (larger vehicles may carry an additional cost).
Popular Shipping Destinations.
Wherever you live in the United States, you’ll have to get your vehicle to a port city that has departures for South Korea, if you’re thinking about shipping your vehicle there. That means you’ll need to hire an international shipper that actually arranges shipments there, and is conversant with all the requirements, rules, and regulations of the country.
Choosing the right shipping agent might be the single most important step you take when preparing to ship your vehicle to South Korea, because the right shipper can smooth the way for a hassle-free transit between the two countries, and will be knowledgeable about what needs to be done to minimize any delays through Korean Customs.
The questions that your shipper will ask you right up front have to do with how you intend to transport your vehicle to the departure point in the U.S. There are numerous port cities on each of the three coasts of America, so the departure port will depend on where you live and which ports your international shipper uses.
Your shipper will probably offer a door-to-port service wherein your car is retrieved right from your doorstep and transported to the port city, or to save some cost you can drive it there yourself.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
When the vehicle is being shipped overseas, you will have to decide whether you want it shipped via RORO shipping (Roll-on/Roll-off) or via container. The difference is that with RORO, your vehicle is driven under its own power onto and off from the ship, and if containerized it will be hoisted on and off by a crane. Of course, making the trip in a container will also protect it from the elements as well, whereas just being secured to the deck with RORO is the cheaper and less sheltered method.
It is always a good idea to thoroughly inspect your vehicle before a long shipment like this, even taking photos for documentation purposes, so that you can be positive of its condition before shipping. This can then be compared with its condition upon arrival to be sure that no damage was incurred during shipping.
Most shipping carriers have insurance on vehicles being shipped, but if your vehicle is an especially expensive one or if it can be considered some kind of classic vehicle, you may want to consider carrying extra insurance of your own.
Click here to learn more about vehicle registration process in South Korea.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To South Korea.
- Purchase invoice.
- Proof of insurance.
- Customs declaration (original and copy)
- Inventory list & bill of lading.
- Passport and work visa.
Rules, Regulations, Requirements.
On the U.S. side, you will need to consult with the Customs and Border Protection agency (or else your shipping agent will) to establish proof of ownership, clear title, registration, and driver licensure.
To do this, you will need to provide a bill of sale with your name on it, and the original title showing no liens against the vehicle. If there is still a lien on the car, it will be necessary to have a notarized document from the lien holder authorizing the export of the vehicle.
Your shipper will probably be aware of all customs regulations in port at South Korea, but if you want to acquaint yourself with some of them as well, it is advisable to contact the South Korean Embassy in the U.S. for that.
In general, though, there will be a duty on any foreign vehicle coming into the country, regardless of its new or used status, and such vehicles may not be sold or transferred within the country for a period of at least three years.
Related Information & FAQs.
- Can I ship my car to South Korea from the US?
- How much does it cost to ship a car to South Korea through an overseas auto transport company?
- Is it too hard to ship a car from the USA to South Korea?
- Is it worth shipping a car to South Korea?
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory