Oistins is a coastal town in the parish of Christ Church within Barbados. It is a popular tourist location and a fishing village. As an offshore landing of ships bringing in fossil fuel, it has opportunities for employment and trade. In case you intend settling here for a few months or are a returning citizen, you can import your vehicle for better connectivity and transportation.
However, you will need to consider the eligibility, requirements and limitations of the Barbados import regulations before you start the process of shipment. Take into account the duties, taxes that are calculated based on the model, make, year of manufacture and engine power. It is best to talk with an experienced international shipping company.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Laws regulating auto imports.
Apart from diplomats that enjoy duty-free imports, returning citizens enjoy a range of rights and exemptions. Some of these are:
- Import duties and tax exemptions are valid when approvals from the Finance Ministry come through.
- Submit proof that you have owned the car for a minimum 3 years.
- Show proof that you stayed abroad for at least 3 years.
There is a lot of information available online about the programs for citizens coming back to Barbados. You can check it at Embassy of Barbados.
Submission of documents and import rules.
The main port of Barbados is Bridgetown and it serves as the entry point for all sea based freight ships. However, there are some essential regulations that need to be adhered to, including:
- The vehicle that you intend importing cannot be more than 4 years from manufacture.
- The odometer should show less than 50,000 kilometers.
- Submit title deed, purchase invoice that proves that you are the owner.
To ensure that the custom clearances are done quickly one of our shipping agents will assist through the procedures and help you get the delivery of the vehicle at the earliest. The important documents that you need to submit at the ports include:
- Insurance documents and certificate.
- Governmental Import permit.
- Original bill of purchase.
- Bill of Lading.
- Registration title deed.
- Passport of the owner.
- Driving license.
Applicable duties and taxes.
It is best to talk with an experienced shipping provider and discuss the associated port costs for Oistins, as Barbados has stringent laws regulating the import tax and custom duties. Currently the import levy on vehicles is 40% to 45% based on the value of the vehicle. Add to it the 17% VAT that is applicable on imported vehicles. To conserve the environment, used cars that is imported has to pay a one-time tax of $4000, while new cars are taxed at $300. The Barbados Customs & Excise Department levies tax ranging from 10% to over 110% on the CIF value of the vehicle.
Ship your vehicle to Oistins.
There are basically tow methods of shipping to Oistins in Barbados. One is the RORO which is the most affordable option. If you are only looking to transport your car and do that within a budget, select this option. You will need to remove all the personal belongings from the car and the air conditioning gas. Steam-clean the vehicle before sending it. This will ensure that the car is not quarantined. You are required to put a set of extra keys and tire and leave quarter tank of gas for the drive up and down the ship. The other option is perfect when you are willing to pay more to add a security cover for your household goods and the car. These are placed within a 20-40 feet container and secured for transit.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?