Pico Island is one of the largest islands on Azores Archipelago and is known as the Ilha Preta (“Black Island”). As one of the most verdant islands, it is known for the USENSCO-designated vineyards that allows for the development of the island.
With clear waters, palm fringed beaches and tropical weather; it is a perfect place to retire, work and even study. Importing your vehicle to Pico Island can be made easy when you work with A1 auto Transport service.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Import Regulations in Azores.
It is essential to check with Azores Embassy about the import regulations, before you ship your vehicle. You are required to submit a host of paperwork, complete procedures and pay relevant duty. These are the listed documents that you are required to submit:
- Proof of address in the Azores.
- Bill of Lading.
- Vehicle purchase invoice and VAT NR.
- Vehicle Title deed.
- Insurance certificate.
- Valid driving license.
- Work visa/Residence permit.
- Approval from Direcçao Geral dos Impostos.
Based on the model and cost of the vehicle, the import duties change but the basic minimum is 16% and there are additional VAT charges. As per Portuguese law, you are allowed to use the US- issued license plates only for six months. Then you will need to get Direcção-Geral de Viação to issue the new license plates. These are required along with local license if you intend driving in Pico Island, Azores.
Additionally, there are other emission and strength tests that need to be completed. It is best to get the modifications done in USA before you ship it so that it clears the required roadworthiness tests. This is a pre-requisite for clearing the emission tests. You will be required to pay a fee for getting the license plates. Only after that you can keep the vehicle on a long term basis.
Ways of freight shipping.
You will be required to adhere to Azores Customs department regulations and documents when you plan on importing the vehicle. You will need to consider the total cost of the shipping before sending it. The main aspects of costing includes method of shipping, custom duties, freight and insurance charges. There are two methods of shipping such as RORO and Container shipping. The difference is not just in price, but RORO only provides vehicle shipping, but does not allow personal belongings. You will need to keep the car jack, floor mats, minimum fuel in the tank and has to remove the air conditioning gas.
Whereas, container shipping allows vehicle and household goods to be shipped together within twenty feet or forty feet freight shipping containers. The crane is used to load the container onto the ship.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?