A driveaway service is an auto transport service in which your vehicle will be picked up by a professional driver and driven to its final destination. You should know that it'll be physically driven, rather than being placed in a trailer and hauled by a truck. With that being said, a driveaway service offers many advantages compared to a more traditional carrier service, but it also comes with a few disadvantages as well.
Advantages of Using a Driveaway Service.
- Faster Shipping - Since your vehicle will be picked up from an agreed upon location and is then driven immediately to its final destination, it will be delivered much faster in comparison to choosing a traditional auto transport service. There is no need for loading and unloading your vehicle or for other vehicles to need to be loaded or unloaded either. Instead, the driver, once he or she picks up your vehicle, has only one focus: get your vehicle and ONLY your vehicle to its final destination as quickly and safely as possible.
- Door-to-Door Delivery is Available - Since there's no need for a large tractor trailer, for example, to navigate towards your location, you don't have to worry about this not being an option. No matter your location, your car will be able to be picked up by a professional driver and delivered to its final destination. There's no need to pick up your car at a terminal or to have to drive it to a drop-off location. This, of course, also contributes to it being shipped faster.
- Transport Personal Items, Including Pets. You'll have to discuss what is and isn't allowed with the driver and the car transport service beforehand, but in many instances, you'll be able to fill the trunk with your personal items. In addition, you won't have to remove various vehicle accessories like you normally would with a traditional transport service.
Disadvantages of Using a Driveaway Service.
- More Expensive. Because the service is more personalized, it'll also cost more. You will not be able to split the costs with others as you would with multiple cars being shipped.
- Possibility of Wear and Tear. Granted, there are open trailers that will expose your vehicle to the weather and the elements if you chose that option, but still, you also have the option of putting your vehicle in an enclosed trailer. However, with a driveway service, your vehicle will be exposed in the open road the whole time. This is something to consider if your vehicle is valuable, such as it being a luxury vehicle or an antique. However, you will avoid the possibility of any damage occurring during the loading and unloading process, since your vehicle will not have to go through this.
- More Mileage. The value of your vehicle naturally will go down the more miles that it incurs. If your car needs to be driven a great distance, your car will have more miles on it as a result in comparison to it being towed instead. This is why a driveaway service is perhaps better for those whose vehicle only has to be driven a short distance instead of having to be transported across the country.
An auto driveaway company that's credible will make sure to run a full background check on the drivers that they hire, including the person's driving records. Nonetheless, you should always make sure that you document how your vehicle looks before the driver leaves and make sure to have copies of all of the relevant paperwork. In addition, you should visit the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's website at www.fmcsa.dot.gov to check to see if your driver is officially licensed.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.