Having a Vehicle Shipped to Zambia, South Africa From The United States
Shipping A Car To Zambia
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- It generally costs between $3,500 and $6,800 to have a car shipped from the United States to Zambia.
- Because of the distance and lack of available seaports in the area, shipping costs are a little higher than to some other African countries.
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car to Zambia
|New York, NY to (New York port) to Lusaka||$275||$7,500||5+35|
|Los Angeles to (California port) to Lusaka||$350||$8,400||5+43|
|Boston, MA to (New York port) to Lusaka||$400||$7,500||5+35|
|Portland, OR to (California port) to Lusaka||$475||$8,400||6+43|
|Phoenix, AZ to (California port) to Lusaka||$550||$8,400||6+43|
|Detroit, MI to (New York port) to Lusaka||$575||$7,500||6+35|
|Atlanta, GA to (New York port) to Lusaka||$700||$7,500||6+35|
|Denver, CO to (California port) to Lusaka||$775||$8,400||7+43|
|Memphis, TN to (New York port) to Lusaka||$800||$7,500||6+35|
|Dallas, TX to (California port) to Lusaka||$1,025||$8,400||7+43|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
*Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
*Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
*Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
*Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
If relocating to Zambia, consider having a personal vehicle exported. It will make local travel easier and it can help to avoid language barriers and currency issues. Zambia isn't thriving when it comes to public transportation so getting to places on time or in a quick manner can be difficult without the use of a personal vehicle.
With 5 major roads located in Zambia, there aren't many roadways to cover. There are more roadways, but many of aren't in great condition. However, the roads can lead to nearly every possible destination throughout the country, as well as to all surrounding countries. Since the main form of public transportation in the country is the railway, having a vehicle at your disposal will be beneficial.
Having a vehicle transported to anywhere in South Africa will prove to be a difficult feat. They have strict laws in regards to vehicle importing and a Letter of Authority and an Import Permit will be needed. Contacting SABS will be the way to go about obtaining such documentation and approval.
Popular Shipping Destinations
Methods of Shipping a Vehicle
- Air shipping is a costly method of shipping a vehicle to the country of Zambia. This is usually too expensive for most people, but it is an option.
- RO/RO shipping is the roll on, roll off method that requires the vehicle to roll onto the ship, as well as roll off. The vehicle must be empty with the exception of a spare tire, a car jack, and floor mats.
- Container shipping is slightly more costly than RO/RO shipping. However, it allows for the vehicle to be filled with property allowed in Zambia. The container can also be filled with property or it can be split with another person. This will help reduce the cost.
All of these methods are possible ways to import a vehicle from the U.S. to Zambia. Considering that there are no seaports in the landlocked country, a person will need to prepare a ride to the place of importation when the vehicle is due for arrival.
South Africa is a country that has their own car manufacturers. Seeing as this is the case, they do not allow used vehicles to be shipped unless they are over 25 years old and considered to be a classic vehicle. With this being said, if a personal vehicle needs to be shipped, certain documentation that will be needed.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Zambia
- Invoice of Vehicle Purchase
- Proof of Ownership
- Title and Registration
- Proof of Insurance
- Import Permit
- Letter of Authority
- Customs Release Notification form
- Bill of lading
- Letter of transfer
- Certificate of non-sale
- Registration card
Shipping Of Heavy Equipment & Oversized Cargo To Zambia
The act of transporting heavy equipment and oversized cargo overseas isn’t a task that can be accomplished by just anyone especially unfamiliar individuals. It takes extensive knowledge of the nation’s foreign import policies, experience, and all of the right equipment to make the delivery happen. So if you’re in need of professional shipping services so that you can ship your cargo from the U.S. to Zambia, A1 Auto Transport has you covered.
The size and weight of your cargo are two of the greatest deciding aspects on the overall cost you’ll pay for shipping heavy equipment to Zambia. Not all cargo deemed as oversized or as heavy equipment fits into specific dimensions and in some cases, you may need to remove parts or disassemble the piece of equipment to ensure it is shipped safely. Nonetheless, there isn’t much we can’t have delivered. Here are some examples of the heavy and oversized equipment we can deliver for you…
- Farm Equipment including tractors, balers, harvesters, backhoes, etc.
- Construction Equipment including bulldozers, forklifts, dumpers, etc.
- Mining Equipment including loaders, excavators, haulers, etc.
- Paving Equipment including pavers, planers, compactors, graders, reclaimers, etc.
- Agricultural Equipment including tractors, combine harvesters, plows, spreaders, drills, mowers, planers, etc.
How Should I Have My Heavy Equipment Shipped Overseas?
The options available to you through A1 Auto Transport will heavily rely on the size and weight of your cargo. Some of these options are also more expensive than others due to the added protection and security they provide. However, one of our specialists will be available to help you decide which transport method is best for your circumstances. Here is what we have to offer in heavy equipment shipping options…
- Lift On/Lift Off is one of the most common forms of transport. This method safely lifts your cargo using a crane to put it on and take it off of the ship. Those with inoperable or crated equipment, as well as anyone with construction materials, may use this method.
- Roll On/Roll Off is also known as RoRo Shipping. This is the most inexpensive way to transport heavy equipment or oversized cargo overseas. For this shipping method, your equipment or sizeable vehicle must roll onto and off of the ship using a ramp.
- Flat Rack shipping is also a common form of international transport that is highly preferred. Your heavy cargo will be secured to a flat rack or metal frame and then placed on the back of the ship. In case of inclement weather, your cargo may be protected with shrink wrap.
- Container shipping isn’t available for most oversized cargo unless it can fit into a 40ft container. This is the most expensive and secure form of shipping we have available. It will protect your cargo from outdoor elements and any likelihood of criminal activity.
Related Information & FAQs
- Information about the cost of shipping a car to Zambia
- The absolute safest way to ship your car to Zambia is through container transport
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.