Shipping A Car To The Virgin Islands.
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Car shipped to the Virgin Islands from the mainland U.S. generally cost from $1,500 to $3,600 transport.
- Since the region is a U.S. territory, customs and duties are not as high for importing a car as they are in other international destinations.
The U.S. Virgin Islands or USVI are a territory of the United States, which makes shipping a car a little easier than to a foreign territory such as the British Virgin Islands. The U.S. Virgin Islands are made up of three main islands: St. Thomas, St. John, and St. Croix. The British Virgin Islands require more extensive paperwork and higher taxation for U.S. autos that are imported. An experienced auto transport company will be able to walk you through the process and assist you with any questions or concerns you may have.
Getting around in the Virgin Islands is difficult without a car and taxis can be expensive. Many of the roads have potholes, steep mountains and sharp curves, which can make for tricky driving conditions compared to the continental United States. With the Caribbean Sea on one side of the islands and the Atlantic Ocean on the other, high temperatures and salty air are common, both of which can have an impact on the performance of your vehicle.
Click here to learn more about vehicle registration process in The Virgin Islands.
Shipping A Vehicle To The Virgin Islands.
If you’re a resident of the United States, you’re entitled to export $1,600 in goods to the U.S. Virgin Islands with no duty, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. As for vehicles specifically, if your car was manufactured in the United States, there is no duty. (If you’re unsure, cars made in the U.S. have a VIN# that starts with a 1, 4 or 5.)
Vehicles that are not manufactured inside the U.S. are subject to a duty of 6% of the total value, typically based on the Blue Book value of the auto. There is also a road tax of 16 cents per pound for all vehicles imported to the Virgin Islands.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To The Virgin Islands.
- Certificate of title or notarized letter from lender.
- Bill of sale.
- Bill of lading.
- Local license plate.
- VIN number.
- EPA form (if necessary)
- DOT form.
- Certificate of conformity.
- Title & Registration.
Methods Of Vehicle Transport To The Virgin Islands.
Roll On/Roll Off – Most cars shipped to the Virgin Islands (this goes for the U.S. & British Islands) are transported after being securely loaded onto a large ship. This method is referred to as “RORO” or roll on, roll off transport because the vehicle is driven onto the ship where it is secured for travel, then it is driven off at the destination port for delivery.
*It’s important to note that customs authorities will not accept vehicles with other items stored inside.
Shipping Container – If you need more than just a vehicle shipped, containerized shipping to the Virgin Islands is your best option. With a shipping container, you can often transport a vehicle as well as other household goods or cargo that you’ll need during your time on the islands.
Popular Islands We Ship To.
Virgin Islands Auto Transport Resources.
Bureau of Motor Vehicles – The Virgin Islands Bureau of Motor Vehicles website has information about parking, licensing, driving, permits, registration and everything you’ll need to know about operating a vehicle on the islands.
Customs Clearance – Information on what you’ll need to do to clear customs through the U.S. before traveling or moving to the Virgin Islands.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory