Car Shipping Tortola
Do you want to export your vehicle to Tortola from the United States?
Shipping A Car To Tortola
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- The majority of cars transported from the U.S. to Tortola can be shipped for $1,300 to $3,500.
- Exceptions to this include vehicles that are oversized (do not fit in a shipping container), as well as those that require premium services such as air freight.
Tortola is the largest and most populated island in the British Virgin Islands (BVI). It is very beautiful but also consists of extremely mountainous terrain which can be difficult to navigate without a reliable vehicle. However, before you make the decision to ship your vehicle, you should determine whether or not it is worthwhile and cost efficient. Due to import and customs fees, it can be very pricey to buy a new vehicle upon arriving, but you will also be subject to similar fees if you choose to import. It is also very inconvenient to attempt to live on the island with no mode of transportation, as the public transit system is not the most reliable and taxis can be expensive. It is helpful to start the process by obtaining a quote from a reliable auto transport company.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Tortola
- US Passport
- Vehicle Title
- Current Registration
- Bill of Lading
- Stateside Driver's License
Anticipate paying 20% of the vehicle's value in duty charges alone, but be aware that additional fees may also be assessed. After clearing customs, you will need to first have the vehicle insured, and then you can bring it to the DMV to undergo a comprehensive inspection process (as detailed below) prior to the vehicle being licensed/registered.
DMV Inspector's Checklist:
- Lights- All lights must be in proper working condition
- Horn- Must be functional
- Brakes- Emergency brake must be operational
- Windshield Wipers and Windshield- Present and in good condition
- Tires- Must have a usable spare
- Exhaust System- Free from leaks, no excessive noise or smoke
- Rear View Mirror and Side Mirrors- Serviceable
- Doors and Glass- Open and close easily, no excessive tint on windows
- Seat Belts- One for each seating position
Once your vehicle has passed the inspection, you can complete the licensing process. You have a 30 day grace period during which to obtain a BVI driver's license. In order to receive a BVI license, you will need to pass a written test and present your stateside valid driver's license.
Call Us Today 1-800-518-8708 Or Fill Out The Form On The Upper Right Hand Side Of The Page For A FREE Quote
Because import rules and regulations are constantly changing, it is in your best interest to contact the BVI Customs Department directly prior to your departure to ensure you have current and proper documentation which will allow for a smooth process from beginning to end.