Information you need to ship your vehicle from the United States to South Africa
Shipping A Car To South Africa
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Car shipping costs to South Africa from the U.S. start at $3,300 for normal sized cars and go up to $7,000 for SUVs and larger vehicles.
- The size and weight of the vehicle being shipped are two of the main cost factors that affect the price.
There are some fundamental decisions that have to be made before any kind of shipping arrangements are initiated, the first of which is – how will your vehicle get to the port of departure in the U.S.?
This will of course depend on where you live in the country, and which ports your shipper operates out of. If it is not convenient or possible for you to drive your vehicle to that port, most shippers will send a truck to your home and pick it up, although this will add to the cost of shipping your vehicle.
Next, you need to decide how your vehicle will be shipped while it is at sea. There are two main shipping methods, Roll-on/Roll-off (RORO), and container shipping. RORO is the less expensive method, and requires that your car be functional so that it can be driven on and off the ramps that facilitate boarding and disembarking from the ship.
Container shipping costs a little more because it is a protected method of shipping your vehicle. Using this method, your car will be enclosed in either a 20-ft or 40-ft container, and hoisted on and off the ship using a crane. To lower the cost a bit, you can elect to ship by shared container, which means that you would be sharing space with another vehicle, both being securely lashed down inside the container.
By making these decisions, you may already have narrowed down the list of potential shippers you might contract with to have your vehicle transported. There are a good number of vehicle shippers in business, and while most of them can do the job well enough, you’ll want to be careful about the company you choose to handle your shipment.
Make sure your shipper is well-versed in the rules and regulations accompanying shipments to South Africa. Knowing these and complying with them might save considerable delays in port while waiting for paperwork or approvals that should have been handled beforehand.
Popular shipping destinations:
There are a few things to keep in mind about shipping your vehicle to South Africa. One of the most important is that the country does not allow used cars to be imported into the country, with the lone exception being classic cars that are 25 years old or more. The country has its own auto manufacturing industry, and this restriction helps protect that industry to some extent.
Before your vehicle can be shipped out of the U.S, you must contact the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency to obtain necessary paperwork for exporting your vehicle out of the country. In order to obtain this clearance, you’ll have to provide a bill of sale establishing your ownership, a clear title with no liens against the car, and the vehicle’s current registration. In the event that your vehicle does still have a lien against it, you may still be able to ship if you can get a written document from the lienholder approving the export.
There will be a port duty imposed on your vehicle when it arrives in South Africa, probably at the biggest and busiest port in the country, the Port of Durban. If you can’t find out through your shipper exactly what this duty will be, you can contact the South African Embassy in the United States, and they will be able to answer this and any other questions you might have about shipping your vehicle to South Africa.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To South Africa
- Import permit
- Proof of ownership for more than 1 year
- Ocean bill of lading (OBL)
- Letter of authority from SABS (South African Bureau of Standards)
- Proof of SABS payment
Related Information & FAQs
- The advantages of shipping a car from the USA to South Africa
- Learn about shipping your car to South Africa from the USA
- The costs of shipping a car to South Africa explained
- The process of transport for those about to ship a car to South Africa from the US
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?
Ship Your Vehicle With A-1 Auto TodayGet an Instant Free Quote Now
Or Call us today at 1-800-452-2880 and speak to directly to our sales team!