Ship Your Car To Or From Poipet, Cambodia
Located on the border between Cambodia and Thailand, the city of Poipet is in the Ou Chrov district and Banteay Meanchey Province. It is the considered the main crossing location between Cambodia and Thailand. This part of Cambodia is considered popular and attracts tourist mainly because of the gambling options which are legal in Cambodia, but not in Thailand.
Learn more about importing vehicle to Cambodia.
A1 Auto Transport services
You may want to bring your vehicle with you when you visit Cambodia, regardless of whether you want to have some fun in the game or you want to work and live here permanently. Container shipping is the most common way to ship a vehicle from the United States to Cambodia. However, Roll-On/Roll Off shipping method is also another option.
Before you begin shipping your vehicle, it’s important that you understand the local traffic and driving laws. It is good to familiarize yourself with them, so you understand them once you enter Poipet with your vehicle. You will also need to communicate with Cambodian Customs Department, in order to get your vehicle cleared once it reaches the port. You also need to know how much the tax and duties are to be paid, before you can drive the car legally in the city. With over twenty five years of experience in shipping vehicles globally, A-1 Auto Transport service can assist you every step of the way in getting your vehicle from the United States to Cambodia.
Documents for Shipping a Vehicle to Cambodia
To bring your vehicle over from the United States, it will most likely cost you between $1600 and $3400. This doesn’t include any taxes and duties. Before you begin the process of importing a vehicle, you will need to make sure that you have several copies of the following documents as they are needed by the Customs department in Cambodia:
- Certificate of registration
- Proof that you own the vehicle
- Car purchase invoice
- Bill of Lading
Vehicles that are transported to Cambodia are charged high taxes and are calculated differently from other countries. Instead of going by the value or worth of the vehicle, the taxes are based on a chart that determines the engine displacement as well as the year of manufacture of the vehicle. In some cases, the total taxes and duties are more than the value of the car. Mopeds, scooters, and smaller sized vehicles are not as expensive, but trucks and SUVs cost a lot.
Available Shipping Options
To get an estimate on the shipping cost, you will need to decide on the best method of transportation. There are two options to choose from. You can determine which one is right for you based on your needs.
- Roll On/ Roll Off shipping: This is the most affordable way to ship a vehicle. With this method of shipping, your vehicle will need to be operational in order to drive it onto the deck of the ship. It is secured in place and you are not allowed to keep any personal belongings inside the car. Due to fire hazards, you have to remove air conditioning gas and most of the fuel. Only 1/4th tank of fuel can be left to drive it. Once it reaches the port in Cambodia, it will be driven off. You will only be charged for the space it takes up in the parking bay on a ship.
- Container shipping: This is the more expensive way to transport your vehicle. However, you can depend on the sealed container to keep your vehicle safe and protected during transport. You can determine the actual cost of this method of shipping in a few ways. One, decide which size container you can get by with. If you need a large 40 feet container, then you will pay more than if you went with the smaller twenty foot container. You can share a container with someone else to lower your cost or you can save more by moving your household items along with the car, if you are planning on moving to Cambodia or staying in Poipet for a long period of time.
Your shipping agent will discuss other options you will have to choose from, such as the door-to-door service which involves an agent picking up your vehicle at your home and delivering it to the port that it will exit from in USA and then delivering it to your new location in Cambodia.
Preparing Your Vehicle for Shipping
There is a lot to do before you are able to ship your vehicle from USA. Here are some steps that are needed to prepare your vehicle for shipping:
- Wash your vehicle both inside and out in order to remove any dirt and debris on your vehicle. If a vehicle is not cleaned thoroughly, it will be quarantined until it’s cleaned and then rescheduled for import.
- If you have any items that can be detached such as ski racks or antennae, you will need to remove them.
- Disable any car alarms so they don’t go off and drain the battery
- Remove all personal belongings
- Leave only 25% of the gas tank filled
- Be sure that the basics on your car are operational, such as your brakes.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.