Exporting a Car from the United States to Mauritius
Shipping A Car To Mauritius
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Mauritius is a fairly remote island in the Indian Ocean, which means it’s not cheap to ship a car there from the U.S.
- Under most circumstances, the cost will run between $3,500 to as much as $7,000 or more. Be sure to consider import costs and taxes as part of the total as well!
Those relocating to Mauritius from the United States often prefer to take their cars along with them. Even when factoring in the cost of shipping, bringing a vehicle from the States is usually less expensive than purchasing one locally on this island nation. Fortunately, many ports in the US host regular departures for the warm waters of Mauritius, and reliable shipping services like A-1 Auto Transport are here to handle the formalities and minutia of the import process for you.
Choosing a destination port in Mauritius is pretty straightforward – the capital city of Port Louis hosts the only major harbor in the country, and is the initial recipient of all international cargo (though shipments can then be forwarded onwards to other ports, if desired).
Popular Shipping Destinations
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Mauritius
- Proof of ownership / original title of vehicle
- Original bill of sale
- Bill of lading
- A “no objection” certificate from the lien holder (only if the car has been purchased using an active loan)
- Import permit
- Work or residency permit
Additional Requirements in Mauritius
Second-hand cars have specific requirements – an import permit must be applied for in advance from the Ministry of Commerce and Cooperative. Furthermore, note that for used vehicles:
- The age of the car must be at least 18 months, but no more than 48 months.
- The original bills of sale and lading are required.
- The Cancellation of Registration certificate is required.
Mauritius does impose a duty on imported vehicles – a number dependent on the value of the car as determined by local Customs officials.
Modes of Shipping
Port Louis can accommodate vehicles arriving via Ro/Ro (roll on/roll off) or container shipping. Ro/Ro is the more economical version, in which vehicles are driven onto the ship at the port of origin, and off again after reaching Mauritius. This is typically sufficient for the need of most individuals, though those importing a high-value luxury or antique vehicle may prefer the additional security and protection offered by container-based shipping.
Steps to Be Taken before Shipping
Now that the decision to ship has been made, and the method selected, the process is nearly done. Before sending your vehicle off to Mauritius, take a few simple steps to ensure a safe and timely arrival.
- Empty the car of all personal belongings
- Perform an in-depth cleaning of the vehicle’s interior and exterior, to reduce the possibility of quarantine delays.
- Fill the fuel tank to only a quarter of its capacity
- Obtain transport insurance
- Go over the car with the shipping agent and obtain a written record of all dents, scratches, and other damage or performance issues.
Related Information & FAQs
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?
Ship Your Vehicle With A-1 Auto TodayGet an Instant Free Quote Now
Or Call us today at 1-800-452-2880 and speak to directly to our sales team!