Deliver Your Car Stress Free
- Compare rates for shipping to or from Port Louis
- Licensed, bonded and insured carriers ready to serve
- RORO, container & air freight transport overseas
- BBB A+ rated award winning service, always on time
- Get an instant quote using our form, or call: 1-800-518-8708
Port Louis is situated in the Port Louis District and is currently the acting capital of Mauritius. This is the economic, political as well as cultural centre of the country and the highest populated city. The Municipal City Council acts like an administrative unit.
Those considering relocating to Mauritius, usually bring their personal vehicles with them. Even if you add up the cost of shipping, bringing your own car is a lot less expensive than buying a new one locally. Luckily, there are plenty of ports in the US that regularly ships to Mauritius. At the same times reliable companies like the A-1 Auto Transport is definitely going to get you through the formalities of the importing process.
The capital of the country – Port Louis hosts the biggest harbor and is therefore the primarily recipient of international loads. This means that choosing a destination port is rather simplified. You can, of course ship to other ports, if you want.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Required Departure Documents.
Prior to leaving the US port, the authorities are going to require particular documents which include:
- Ownership proof or original title.
- Bill of sale of vehicle.
- Bill of Lading.
- If the car is under a loan you would need a permitting certificate from the lien holder.
Further Requirements in Mauritius.
There are special requirements for used cars. You must apply for a permit for import in advance from the Ministry of Commerce and Cooperative in Mauritius. If you are importing a used vehicle, should also consider that:
- The car should be at least 18 months old but not more than 48 months.
- You must have the original bill of sale and Bill of lading.
- Cancellation of Registration document is required.
Mauritius subjects imported vehicles to a duty based on the value of the car, which is determined by the officials at Mauritius revenue services. Another major component is the emissions. You are required to pay 15% VAT and import tax ranges from 15% to 100% on vehicles with 2000 cc engines.
The Port Louis harbor can accept both RO/RO and container shipping. Ro/Ro is generally the cheapest way and it requires the vehicle to be driven on the carrier at the take-off port and driven off at the destination. However, if you are importing a luxury or antique car you may prefer to use the container shipping for the added security.
Necessary Steps before the Shipping.
Once you have chosen the transportation method and you’ve made the documental preparations, you are almost done. You would have to take few additional steps in order to ensure timely arrival.
- Empty your vehicle from personal belongings.
- Thoroughly clear the exterior and interior of the vehicle in order to make sure that you won’t get it quarantined.
- Fill a quarter of a fuel tank.
- Get transport insurance.
- Make sure to obtain a written record of all the scratches and dents of the car or its performance issues.
Roll On/Roll Off shipping is the overly preferred means for transportation. It’s a sea shipping method where you have to drive the car on the carrier on its own wheels. The carriers are generally equipped with ramps which are going to aid the process.
Container Shipping is popular amongst people who want to ship additional belongings along with the vehicles. You can choose between 20 ft. and 40 ft. containers and use the remaining space to load other items or to share it with someone else. This method is a little more expensive because there are more procedures.