Sweden’s third largest city, Malmo is the commercial and cultural center of Southern Sweden and is one of the most populated cities here. With plenty of opportunities to work and study in Malmo, people come and stay for an extended period of time which requires them to travel around. That is why it is best to import your vehicle from USA when you move temporarily or permanently.
There are not many issues that crop up when you are importing to Sweden due to the good bilateral relations with USA and the ease of communication as most of the government agency officials have high proficiency in English language. To get the lowest price on the vehicle import, it is best to work with A1 Auto Transport service as we have local shipping agents in Sweden that will ensure that all logistic support is provided when the vehicle arrives in Sweden. They will ensure that you qualify for as many tax exemptions as possible, which will lower the cost of the import duties and other applicable taxes.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Submission of vital documents.
To ensure that the vehicle is being brought into Sweden legally, there are plenty of documents that you need to submit. We will help you with getting the details and submitting them on your behalf not just with the U.S Customs and Border Protection but with the Swedish Customs Service also. The important paperwork includes:
- Passport and Driver’s License.
- Vehicle purchase invoice.
- Vehicle Registration certificate/Title Deed.
- Proof of U.S Insurance.
- Swedish temporary auto insurance.
To get the custom clearance in Sweden, the vehicle has to be physically present. Additionally, the owner or authorized representative has to be there to collect the vehicle after the custom clearances are given. You will need to get the Swedish driving license after 1 year of import because meanwhile the US driving license is acceptable.
Specific Swedish vehicle import regulations.
There are many regulations which have to be followed so that you do not incur high fees and taxes. If these requirements are not fulfilled, you will be liable to pay the import duty and additional VAT of 25%. The regulations include:
- Be the owner of the vehicle for at least 12 months.
- Only use the imported vehicle for your personal use.
- You should not have imported a vehicle, tax-free in the last three years.
- You are not allowed to sell the vehicle for minimum of 1 year.
- You are contemplating move to Sweden with the proper authorization from Swedish migration authority to stay after a period of 3 months.
Freight shipping ways.
Most of the vehicles are shipped by ocean bound freight ships and that is why Container shipping and Roll-on/Roll-Off is commonly used methods.
In RORO, your vehicle is secured and harnessed on the ship after being driven on the deck at the U.S port. When it reaches the destination port in Sweden, it is driven off the ship, using ramps. However, you can only ship an empty vehicle so all personal objects and air conditioning gas needs to be removed.
If you ship by container shipping, it is expensive but offers an added protection and is perfect for luxury vehicles. In case you have to move your personal items along with the vehicle, this works well. This method is faster than RORO. If you are looking for insurance on the vehicle, opt for Marine Insurance for cargo as it is cost-effective.
If you are looking for more information, you can get in touch with the Embassy of Sweden in USA.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?