Car Shipping to Gambia from the United States
Shipping A Car To The Gambia
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Most shipping cost to The Gambia is between $2,300 to $4,700, though they do fluctuate periodically.
- Since there is a limited amount of coastline available in the area, shipping is easier at certain times of the year than others.
Shipping a car to Gambia can be a very simple process as long as you know what needs to be taken care of before you make the shipping arrangements. Roadways in Gambia are very rough and not many are modernized and during the rainy season from June through October, many of the roadways will flood and become impassable for motor vehicles. Having a 4-wheel drive is a practical suggestion for those who want to bring their own vehicle into the country for personal usage.
Gambia has one shipping port where vehicles can be imported. The port is in the city of Banjul in West Africa and is accessible by both Ro-Ro Shipping and Container Shipping methods. Your transport agent will be able to discuss with you the best way to ship your vehicle to Gambia. The agent will also direct you on the paperwork you need to fill out prior to shipping, cleaning your personal items out of your vehicle, and anything else you may need to do to prepare your car for shipping.
Popular Shipping Destinations:
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Gambia Motor Vehicle Required Regulations
In order to export your car to Gambia, there are a few regulations that the country requires to do so. Those regulations are as follows:
- Original Bill of Sale must accompany car
- Left-hand drive vehicles only are allowed in Gambia
- Import Tax must be paid which varies depending on vehicle value
- Gambia Government Sales Tax of 10% must be paid
- 1% Customs Sales Tax must be paid
You will also need to have the Original Certificate of Title to the car and this must include:
- Engine Number
- Chassis Number
For more information on regulations and requirements for shipping your car into Gambia, you can contact the Gambia Embassy in Washington, DC and they can direct you to information that you may need prior to shipping your car.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Gambia
When shipping a car to any country internationally, including Gambia, there are documents that you will need to have filled out prior to being able to ship. These are the required documents that you will need to have:
- Driver’s License
- Original Bill of Sale
- Social Security Card
- Signed Power of Attorney warrant if you will not be with the car at the port of exit
- Registration card
- Bill of lading or air waybill (OBL/AWB)
- Proof of residency or work permit
- Non-sale certificate
If other paperwork is needed prior to shipping, the transport agent will be able to go over all of that information with you during the consultation for shipping. The transport agent will also be able to go over the port nearest your home to take the car to for shipping as well as the port of entry in Gambia. Before your ship the car you need to make sure you get a finalized quote from the transport company that includes the cost of shipping, container fee is you choose to ship by container, pick-up and delivery fee if they will need to pick-up and drop-off your car for you. The transport agent will also go over the different methods of shipping and the cost of each type.
Methods of Shipping Cars
- RoRo Shipping – RoRo is the least inexpensive method of shipping your car to Gambia. RoRo ships deliver cars, trucks, vans and other wheeled vehicles. The ships are designed with ramps that vehicles can drive straight onto the ship where they will then be secured for delivery. At the exit port, the vehicle is unsecured and then driven off the ship where it may be picked up at the port and either delivered to your location, or you can pick it up and drive it into Gambia from the port.
- Container Shipping – Container shipping simply means you can have your car shipped inside of a 20 or 40-foot container on a freight ship. Container shipping takes a little longer than RoRo Shipping because customs will have to inspect the containers. Container Shipping is also slightly more expensive than RoRo Shipping, but for people who may have other household or personal items that they need to ship along with their car, containers are a reliable choice for transportation overseas.
To find out more about the documents you will need prior to shipping your car, and other useful information on shipping and customs regulations when traveling to Gambia, you can contact the U.S. Border and Protection Agency.
Related Information & FAQs
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?