Ship Your Car To Or From Finland
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Though each vehicle shipment is unique, average transport costs when shipping from a car from the U.S. to Finland generally fall between $1,800 and $3,900.
- Air freight is also an option for delivery in the area, though the costs are significantly higher than the numbers listed above.
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car to Finland
|San Jose, CA to (California port) to Kotka||$200||$3,300||5+44|
|Los Angeles to (California port) to Kotka||$350||$3,300||5+44|
|Las Vegas, NV to (California port) to Kotka||$450||$3,300||5+44|
|Portland, OR to (California port) to Kotka||$475||$2,500||6+44|
|Phoenix, AZ to (California port) to Kotka||$550||$2,500||6+44|
|Columbus, OH to (New York port) to Kotka||$550||$2,500||5+21|
|Charlotte, NC to (New York port) to Kotka||$575||$2,500||6+21|
|Chicago, IL to (New York port) to Kotka||$675||$2,500||6+21|
|Miami, FL to (New York port) to Kotka||$675||$2,500||7+21|
|Memphis, TN to (New York port) to Kotka||$800||$2,500||6+21|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
*Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
*Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
*Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
*Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
Much of the western coast of Finland is bounded by the Gulf of Bothnia or the Baltic Sea, and all of its southern border faces either the Baltic Sea or the Gulf of Finland, including Helsinki Port. From this, it is easy to see that Finland relies a great deal on ocean-going commerce – but that doesn’t mean that shipping a vehicle there is necessarily a piece of cake. To have the best chance of avoiding all possible pitfalls, make sure you hire an international transport company that is well-versed in all aspects of Finland’s trade and shipping regulations.
When you talk with transport companies, they will want to know whether you intend to have your vehicle shipped via the Roll-on/Roll-off (RORO) method, or the alternative, which is containerized shipping. RORO means that the car will be driven on and off the ship under its own power, and will be exposed on deck during transport.
Cars that are shipped in containers are generally loaded and securely blocked by the transport company, and while this is a popular shipping method, it is also a bit more expensive. Some U.S. ports only handle RORO, and some Finnish ports only handle RORO as well, so before your transport company can arrange for shipping, this will need to be settled upon.
You will also have to determine whether the transport company should retrieve your vehicle at your residence and transport it to the port (door-to-port transport), or whether you will drive the vehicle yourself to the port of departure.
Popular Shipping Destinations
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Finland
- Certificate of registration.
- Required forms: 53s, 72s, 27As
- Sales invoice & receipt.
- Valid passport.
- Valid insurance policy.
- Driver's license.
- Certificate of conformity.
- Employment certificate.
- Commercial invoice.
- You will need the original title of the car, a bill of lading showing how it was shipped to Finland, and if there is a lien on the car, written authorization to export from the lienholder.
- Registration, driver’s license, passport, proof of U.S. insurance, proof of Finnish insurance are all required for entry.
- Include one set of keys in the glovebox, and the car should have no more than ¼ tank of gas in it.
- The car should be winterized, if shipping is during the cold season.
- No belongings are allowed inside the vehicle during shipping, especially no valuables.
Information about Customs
- One vehicle may be imported without duty into Finland if the vehicle was owned and used for six months prior to export, and the vehicle qualifies.
- There is a value limit for duty-free vehicles – if your car’s value exceeds this limit, you will be charged a tax that will be determined by customs officials, at their discretion.
- The vehicle must comply with European and U.S. exhaust standards. If it does not, it will be held up in Customs until appropriate modifications can be made to it, and you will be responsible for paying for these.
- Finnish Customs reserves the right to change any rules or regulations to accommodate circumstances, so be prepared for possible glitches.
In most cases, it is not necessary for you to be intimately acquainted with all the details of shipping, and all the international rules and regulations, because a competent and reliable transport company should already have that information, and deal with it at the departure port and the entry port.
But this makes it even more important that you choose the right company to ship your vehicle to Finland, since a company experienced with Finnish shipping and Customs has been through the process many times, and will be aware of all the potential hang-ups. A great many headaches can be avoided by making that first important decision.
Shipping A Motorcycle To Finland
The available shipping methods for cars have already been discussed above. However, you may be wondering about the best option for your motorcycle. Typically, both roll-on/roll-off and container shipping are also excellent choices for motorcycles, with a few differences in the securement procedure.
For RoRo shipping, once driven into place, the bike must then be tightly fastened to the deck using tie-down straps or a custom securement rig built into the vessel. When opting for container shipping, tie-downs and blocks are typically used. It’s important to pay extra attention to securement when shipping a motorcycle, as otherwise it’s possible for it to fall over during transit.
In addition, some consumers prefer crated shipping for motorcycles, which houses the bike in a wooden crate specially selected for the task. This allows for a tight fit, to ensure that shifting doesn’t occur while the shipping vessel is underway. In addition, the crate offers an additional layer of protection for the motorcycle - making this an attractive option if your model is particularly old or valuable (1).
Shipping An RV To Finland
Small to mid-size recreational vehicles should fit comfortably on a RoRo ship, though you still need to confirm that the height clearance is adequate. For large Class A recreational vehicles, checking that the specific RoRo vessel can accommodate the extra length is recommended (though modern RoRo ships can usually handle Class A RVs).
Another option is flat rack shipping, which uses containers with no roof or sides, allowing the RV to be taller and wider than a standard shipping container. That said, the vehicle’s wheels must sit fully on the flat rack’s base for stability during shipment - so there are still size limitations.
For a more unlimited approach, LoLo shipping is the clear winner, as these vessels are usually constructed with flexible cargo areas in mind. The deck can often be reconfigured to accommodate even extremely large vehicles (2). Thus, LoLo ships are the perfect solution for the largest Class A RVs (which top out at 45 feet in length) (3).
Shipping A Classic Car To Finland
Since they’re often valuable, rare and sometimes fragile, classic cars generally require the most protection possible when shipping them overseas (4). This typically rules out RoRo shipping (as the loading and unloading process is less controlled), leaving container and air freight as your available choices.
Between the two, container shipping is far more affordable and special handling options are sometimes available - ensuring an even greater level of safety. Yet, some customers want the gentlest ride possible, and this is provided by air freight. Another advantage of air freight is the much faster shipping speed, with shipments over the water taking significantly longer.
Shipping A Boat To Finland
While shipping a boat may not seem like the most sensible course of action, it’s often the most logical choice. Depending on the details of your particular sailing vessel and country of origin, shipping can sometimes be faster, cheaper, safer and more convenient. Also, sailing across the ocean in a boat not rated for the task isn’t advisable - making shipping the only viable option if your boat fits this description.
An added consideration is the large amount of shipping traffic in the North Sea (it’s among the busiest stretches of water on earth), and the fact that this body of water has one of the highest number of shipping accidents per year around the world. This is according to a study in honor of World Oceans Day, which was funded by the World Wildlife Fund (5).
So, even if your sailing vessel is capable of making the journey - you may prefer to have it shipped to Finland instead. If that’s the case, you can select from container, RoRo, flat rack, LoLo and submersion boat shipping.
Shipping Options For Small To Mid-Size Boats
If your boat is small to medium in size, then either container or RoRo shipping will work nicely. While length likely won’t be an issue when opting for container shipping, you need to be aware of the limitations in both height and width for this method. Alternatively, you can load your boat onto a trailer and then tow it on board a RoRo vessel. This method is highly convenient, if you wish to ship both a vehicle (used to tow the trailer) and a boat to Finland during your move.
Shipping Options For Mid-Size To Large Boats
If you have a mid-size to large sailing vessel, then either flat rack or LoLo shipping could work for your needs. Flat rack shipping limits you to just under 40 feet in length, and the boat must sit securely on the flat rack even if it’s taller or wider than the rack platform (6). In contrast, LoLo ships can usually handle sailing vessels of nearly any dimensions, and this technique is often employed to ship even very large yachts to the other side of the globe.
Submersion Boat Shipping
Finally, submersion boat shipping is available, and this allows you to load your sailing vessel right on the water. The transport ship has the ability to lower down into the water, so your boat can maneuver into place above. Once in position, the transport ship pumps out its ballast tanks and rises out of the water, with your boat now safely on its deck.
Shipping Of Heavy Equipment & Oversized Cargo To Finland
Whether your needs are for business or personal, A-1 Auto Transport is equipped to get your heavy equipment and/or oversized cargo to Finland. It’s not just autos we transport either for we can get mostly any cargo overseas and to your specifications,. We have years of experience in shipping items from a variety of fields including farm equipment (tractors, harvesters and mowers), construction equipment (bulldozers, excavators and dumpers) and even bigger items such as cranes, yachts and machinery.
There really isn’t much that we can’t get transported and if by chance we can’t, we can get you in touch with someone who can. We understand there’s a lot to consider when getting your freight to Finland and we want to make sure all your I’s are dotted and T’s are crossed. Among the many considerations of overseas transport is the type of shipping method/vessel that’ll best suit your heavy or oversized cargo. Size and weight are a big determinant of how your freight will be shipped and some methods are more ideal than others. Below we go into some of the shipping options that A-1 offers.
- Lift On/Lift Off i sa common form of transport for crated heavy equipment or large inoperable vehicles. It requires a crane to lift your cargo and place it on top of the vessel. Especially useful when the freight is either too heavy or too big to use a shipping container.
- Roll On/Roll Off is another common form of transport and is usually the most inexpensive way to transport your operable cargo overseas. For this shipping method, your equipment must roll on and off the ship through the it’s hull. There are also height restrictions for this type of transport
- Shipping with a flat rack gives more flexibility than other shipping options. Acting as a wire framed shipping container, flat racks allow for uniquely shaped equipment to be transported with ease.Your heavy cargo will be secured to a flat rack or metal frame and then placed on the top or back of the ship.
- Container shipping isn’t available for most oversized cargo unless it can fit into the dimensions of a 40ft container. Heavy equipment could benefit from this type of shipping especially if it’s sensitive to the elements or if security is a priority. This is the most expensive form of shipping we have available.
Related Information & FAQs
- Shipping a car to Finland from the USA through container transport guarantees a safer delivery
- Shipping a car to Finland through a reliable transport service is the best way to relocate a vehicle
- What to learn about overseas transport before shipping a car to Finland
- Is it worth buying professional shipping services to send my car from US to Finald?
- Import vehicle into USA from Finland
- Finland container shipping
-Flat-racks are either 20 or 40 feet in length, according to:
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.
Email me - firstname.lastname@example.org