Ship Your Car To Or From Finland
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Though each vehicle shipment is unique, average transport costs when shipping from a car from the U.S. to Finland generally fall between $1,800 and $3,900.
- Air freight is also an option for delivery in the area, though the costs are significantly higher than the numbers listed above.
Much of the western coast of Finland is bounded by the Gulf of Bothnia or the Baltic Sea, and all of its southern border faces either the Baltic Sea or the Gulf of Finland, including Helsinki Port. From this, it is easy to see that Finland relies a great deal on ocean-going commerce – but that doesn’t mean that shipping a vehicle there is necessarily a piece of cake. To have the best chance of avoiding all possible pitfalls, make sure you hire an international transport company that is well-versed in all aspects of Finland’s trade and shipping regulations.
When you talk with transport companies, they will want to know whether you intend to have your vehicle shipped via the Roll-on/Roll-off (RORO) method, or the alternative, which is containerized shipping. RORO means that the car will be driven on and off the ship under its own power, and will be exposed on deck during transport.
Cars that are shipped in containers are generally loaded and securely blocked by the transport company, and while this is a popular shipping method, it is also a bit more expensive. Some U.S. ports only handle RORO, and some Finnish ports only handle RORO as well, so before your transport company can arrange for shipping, this will need to be settled upon.
You will also have to determine whether the transport company should retrieve your vehicle at your residence and transport it to the port (door-to-port transport), or whether you will drive the vehicle yourself to the port of departure.
Popular Shipping Destinations:
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Finland
- Certificate of registration
- Required forms: 53s, 72s, 27As
- Sales invoice & receipt
- Valid passport
- Valid insurance policy
- Driver’s license
- Certificate of conformity
- Employment certificate
- Commercial invoice
- You will need the original title of the car, a bill of lading showing how it was shipped to Finland, and if there is a lien on the car, written authorization to export from the lienholder
- Registration, driver’s license, passport, proof of U.S. insurance, proof of Finnish insurance are all required for entry
- Include one set of keys in the glovebox, and the car should have no more than ¼ tank of gas in it
- The car should be winterized, if shipping is during the cold season
- No belongings are allowed inside the vehicle during shipping, especially no valuables
Information about Customs
- One vehicle may be imported without duty into Finland if the vehicle was owned and used for six months prior to export, and the vehicle qualifies
- There is a value limit for duty-free vehicles – if your car’s value exceeds this limit, you will be charged a tax that will be determined by customs officials, at their discretion
- The vehicle must comply with European and U.S. exhaust standards. If it does not, it will be held up in Customs until appropriate modifications can be made to it, and you will be responsible to pay for these
- Finnish Customs reserves the right to change any rules or regulations to accommodate circumstances, so be prepared for possible glitches
In most cases, it is not necessary for you to be intimately acquainted with all the details of shipping, and all the international rules and regulations, because a competent and reliable transport company should already have that information, and deal with it at the departure port and the entry port.
But this makes it even more important that you choose the right company to ship your vehicle to Finland, since a company experienced with Finnish shipping and Customs has been through the process many times, and will be aware of all the potential hang-ups. A great many headaches can be avoided by making that first important decision.
Related Information & FAQs
- Shipping a car to Finland from the USA through container transport guarantees a safer delivery
- Shipping a car to Finland through a reliable transport service is the best way to relocate a vehicle
- Take advantage of auto transport to ship your car to Finland and stay organized during the process
- What to learn about overseas transport before shipping a car to Finland
- Is it worth buying professional shipping services to send my car from US to Finald?
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?
Ship Your Vehicle With A-1 Auto TodayGet an Instant Free Quote Now
Or Call us today at 1-800-518-8708 and speak to directly to our sales team!