Military Shipping Motorcycle Overseas
In most cases, military shipping motorcycle overseas can be done in your HHG transport or as a separate POV transport (privately owned vehicle). Take into consideration there are countries who do not permit the importation of dirt bikes and motorcycles. If you try to transport your motorcycle to a country that does not permit its importation, your entire motorcycle and / or HHG shipment may be held by said country’s officials. Afterwards, it will not be released until you’ve corrected the unauthorized transport, causing you a significant monetary inconvenience.
For military shipping motorcycle overseas, you will need the following documents:
- PCS Orders: Copy all your CONUS PCS orders, as well as amendments, to your new duty station. If PCS orders are missing, get a copy from your personal office. If no copy is on file, you must ask them for a letter indicating an order copy is not available.
- Special power of attorney: You must complete the provided form and notarize the POA. The expiration date should be 90 days or more after the delivery date you’ve requested.
- Authorization for lienholder to transport overseas: If your motorcycle is financed, get in touch with the bank and obtain an authorization letter for you to ship it overseas.
You may need to pay an alternate port fee and provide an approval letter from your commander.
- Make sure the paperwork is done in the same name. If you got married after entering the military and your PCS orders contain your maiden name instead of your current one, you must prove the change in your name by adding a marriage license copy and the military official orders for changing your name.
- Make sure your PCS orders are complete, they contain all pages, and the information is legible and clear.
- Make sure you send us the duty station’s address where we will ship your vehicle. It must be the same as the one in your PCS orders.
- Make sure you give your agent all the necessary payments and documents at least a month before the delivery date you’ve requested. Not doing so may lead to the ocean terminal’s delivery to be delayed.
- Replacement Motorcycles: If you’ve shipped a motorcycle at the expense of the Government already, you must get approved for transporting a replacement vehicle. This must be stated in the commander’s approval, and it must contain a new MCS/TAC code for the shipment’s billing. Contact your TO to obtain this. The statement should mention the reason for the new military shipping motorcycle overseas and indicate its status as a replacement vehicle.
Valid reasons to ship a replacement vehicle are the deterioration of the old motorcycle due to age or climatic conditions, it being totaled or wrecked beyond the repair costs. Selling the originally shipped motorcycle is not a good reason to replace it and will not be approved.
- Motorcycles are considered POVs. If you’ve transported a motorcycle already, you cannot ship a truck or car without a replacement being authorized.
If there are any problems, get assistance from your sales representative.
Approval from your commander
Use the guidelines below to see if you need a commander’s approval letter. If it is necessary, you can get it from your TMO or CDR officer.
- For personnel belonging to the Air Force:
- POVs such as motorcycles can be shipped if they are sent to the port within at most 90 days after the dependent or customer has left for a tour overseas for 1 year or more, or in 30 days or less after the customer’s departure on a duty tour overseas of up to 1 year.
- For tours within the U.S. longer than 1 year, when the port delivery lasts more than 90 days and / or the current tour is scheduled to last for at most a year longer, you can transport the motorcycle only after receiving the approval of the CDR (OCONUS Commander) or TMO (transportation movement officer).
- For Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and Army Personnel: POVs can be shipped if at least a year remains of their duty at the current OCONUS station when the motorcycle is sent to the loading port. If the TMO or CDR of the OCONUS area guarantees the motorcycle is needed to perform your official duties, an exception can be made.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?