If you want to move to a different state, you might be confused on how to ship your car to another state. Well, the process might be a little complicated than when moving within the same state. This is especially so if you decide to drive the car across the country. However, the process would be easier if you hire an auto transport company. The following steps will answer the question: how to ship my car to another state.
Choose a shipping company
A reliable shipping company should ship your car safely and on time. Finding the right company might be confusing as there are several options available. However you can select your auto transporter by;
- Checking auto transporter reviews. Past customers often express their experiences through online reviews and testimonials. Visit some few companies and see what their clients say about them. In addition, check neutral review sites such as Consumer Affairs and Yelp. However, be diligent as some companies are known to manipulate the reviews. A sure way is to ask your friends to recommend you a good company
- Compare prices: simply visit your preferred companies and ask for a free online quote. Compare the prices and select the ones that are fair. Remember that cheap is not always the best.
- Talk to your auto transporter: most companies will provide their contacts on the website. Give them a call and have a feeling of their professionalism. If they answer your questions well and care about your concerns, they will make a good shipper.
- Check their registration: by law, shipping companies should have a U.S Dot number displayed on their websites and on their adverts. This will tell you whether a company is legitimate or not.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
Book your shipping date
Once you have identified a suitable shipper, book a date. This is called the available shipping date. Most auto transporters will have an online booking and payment method. Ensure that you have booked two weeks earlier to get good prices and delivery dates. Most companies charge an extra fee for emergency shipment. After getting your date, you will be given a pickup and delivery date.
Prepare your car
When shipping your car to another state, it must be ready before pick up.
- Wash the inside and the outside of your car: clean our car inside and out to ensure that dings, dents, and scratches are visible.
- Inspect our car: along with your trucker, check the condition of your car. This will help know if any damages have occurred during transit. Document and photograph your car before it is transported. Your trucker should also give you a bill of lading.
- Empty your tank to ¼ full: fuel adds weight to your car and the overall hauling cost. Ensure that your tank is just enough for loading and unloading.
- Remove personal belongings: your personal items are not insured by your shipper. In addition, shipping companies are not allowed to carry “household items.” Clear your car.
- Handleyour car keys to the driver: this will enable the driver to load and unload your car.
- Deactivate your car alarm
- Remove any removable parts
Pick your car
After you have hired a shipping company, you will be given the delivery window. This is the time when you expect to get your car back. It may take between 2-3 weeks depending on your destination. This period might be a time of anxiety. However, you can be at peace by;
- Tracking your car: your shipper should give you a way of tracking your car. A GPS enabled tracker will help you identify the location of your car wherever you are. Once your car is near the delivery location get ready to pick it up.
- Communicating to your shipper: in the case of a delay, your shipper should communicate about changes on delivery dates. A reliable company should have a good delivery estimate to accommodate inconveniences.
Upon delivery, inspect your car for any damages. If the car is in a good condition, sign the bill of lading. If you find some new dents, scratches, and damages, use the document to file a claim.
Hopefully, your question, “how to ship your car to another state” has been answered. These four processes are simple especially if you have a reliable transporter. If you are looking for an auto transporter who understands interstate shipping, talk to us.