There are a number of regulations to abide by and a good many steps to follow when you want to export cars from USA. Most of the regulations are as per the rules specified in the Trade and Tariff Act of 1984 which have become Part 192 of the regulations followed by the US Customs. You can also visit http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/export-docs/motor-vehicle for more information on exporting your car.
Steps to Export A Car From The USA – Needed Documents
The Pink Slip – The first thing that is required is the proof of ownership which is the Certificate of Title or the pink slip. For more information about Title, you can visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_title. The ownership documents must be submitted at least 3 days prior to the date of export to the land border port. On the day of exportation, you have to present the car to the US customs so that they can check that the car is indeed the car as said in the ownership documents. However, if the car is exported by air or sea, then the papers and the car must be presented together to the Customs, 3 days prior to inspection. The Customs will stamp or perforate the original Title document to show that it was exported from the USA.
- Lien – in case of a lien, then the owner must get authorisation paper from the lien holder allowing the car to leave the country when you want to export cars from the USA. This paper must then be attached to the Title document.
- Manufacturer’s statement of origin – this document has to be submitted when the car has not been titled and you can get this from the car dealer. Submit the original along with two Xerox copies to the Customs.
- Bill of sale or sale’s invoice – In cases old and antique cars, there might not be a Title or there might be no way to get a manufacturer’s statement of origin. Then a bill of dale or a sale’s invoice or any other document that can be shown as proof of ownership is required. Also, the owner must present in writing that they got the vehicle through a bona fide transaction and therefore, was not stolen. This documentation also needs an original along with two Xerox copies to be submitted to the Customs.
Time of Processing – Most ports will not process cars during weekends and so to avoid unnecessary delays, call ahead to make sure that your car will be processed during working days.
Choosing the Kind of Transport – when you want to you might require an ocean freight or air freight.
Ocean freight – there are two kinds of ocean freight that are available and they are shipping containers and RORO shipping vehicles. RORO shipping is advisable when the cars have to be exported from the East Coast to the Gulf or from the West Coast to the Far East.
Air freight – this is very expensive and should be considered only when transporting vehicles that are very expensive or in cases of emergency.
Insurance – Now this is very important and there are two kinds of insurance that you might be interested in.
The first one is All-Risk with which you can claim for all kinds of damages but this will be expensive.
The second is Total-Loss-Only which can be claimed only in cases where there is a total loss such as the car disappearing overboard.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Tips For Faster Processing
- Have all the documents ready and in order.
- Make sure that the car is in good working condition.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?