- How Much Does It Cost To Ship Or Ship A Car From State To State?
- State To State Shipping Information You’ll Need To Get The Most Accurate Estimate
- Projected Costs For State To State Car Shipping
How Much Does It Cost To Ship Or Ship A Car From State To State?
Customers and potential customers frequently enquire about our rates by asking how much it would cost to transport a vehicle across the country. One important consideration that is often overlooked in this line of questioning is that the shipping distance is the primary determinant in pricing and that there can be a several hundred mile variation in the overall cost of shipping depending on the city you are shipping to or from. But before we get to the specifics, let's talk about what you should be on the lookout for when requesting a quote.
Before even considering contacting a company, you should know whether or not they have experience with interstate car towing. A longer history of successful shipments and satisfied customers is always a plus, but that doesn't mean that a company with only five years of experience is worse than one with twenty.
Finding an auto transport company that has worked in both the state you're shipping from and the one you're shipping to is just as important as having experience shipping over long distances. If they have an actual office in both places, or at least in the general area, that's a good sign. It stands to reason that if you need a car towed to the state of Kentucky, you'll want to make sure that the company you hire has terminals in the state, and preferably an office in the city or town where your vehicle will be shipped.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
State To State Shipping: Information You’ll Need To Get The Most Accurate Estimate
- Year, make and model of vehicle
- Current city and destination city
- Type of transport service requested
- Any special handling issues (enclosed transport, inoperable vehicle)
- Desired pick up and delivery dates
Projected Costs For State To State Car Shipping
Now that we’ve reviewed the basics of finding an interstate auto transporter, as well as the information you’ll need to get an estimate, let’s dig into some examples of pricing. As noted above, the main cost indicator is the distance you need your vehicle shipped. There are certain services and vehicles that can potentially add to the cost, so these numbers should be viewed as an estimate, even if they are being pulled from past shipments. These prices reflect costs for running vehicles that are not oversized, such as smaller trucks, coupes and sedans:
Los Angeles, CA to Denver, CO - $723
Atlanta, GA to Portland, OR - $1,379
Chicago, IL to Las Vegas, NV - $995
Albany, NY to Pittsburgh, PA - $467
Dallas, TX to Columbus, OH - $675
Minneapolis, MN to Orlando, FL - $861
Philadelphia, PA to Charlotte, NC - $503
Frequently Asked Questions
What is flatbed car transport, and why should you choose flatbed vehicle transport?
Flatbed car transport refers to the transportation of vehicles using a flatbed trailer. Unlike enclosed car transport, where vehicles are transported inside a covered trailer, flatbed transport involves securing the vehicles onto an open flatbed trailer for transportation.
There are several reasons why one might choose flatbed vehicle transport:
1. Versatility: Flatbed trailers can accommodate many vehicles, including cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles, and heavy machinery. This makes it a suitable option for transporting different types of vehicles.
2. Accessibility: The open design of flatbed trailers allows for easy loading and unloading of vehicles. This is especially beneficial for vehicles with low ground clearance or non-operational vehicles that cannot be driven onto a trailer.
3. Safety: Flatbed car transport ensures that vehicles are securely fastened to the trailer using straps or chains, minimizing the risk of damage during transit. Additionally, the open design allows for better visibility, reducing the chances of accidents or collisions.
4. Cost-effectiveness: Flatbed transport is often more cost-effective than enclosed transport, as it does not require a specialized enclosed trailer. This makes it a popular choice for individuals or businesses seeking affordable vehicle transportation.
5. Flexibility: Flatbed transport offers flexibility in scheduling and routes. Since the trailers are not enclosed, they can easily be loaded and unloaded at various locations, allowing for more convenient transportation arrangements.
6. Time-efficient: Flatbed transport typically has faster turnaround times than other methods, as vehicles can be loaded and unloaded quickly. This is beneficial for individuals or businesses with time-sensitive transportation needs.
Overall, choosing flatbed vehicle transport can provide a cost-effective, versatile, and efficient transportation solution, making it a popular choice for individuals, businesses, and car dealerships alike.
How much does towing a car cost, and does insurance cover towing?
The average cost of towing a car in the United States is $109. However, you can expect to pay between $2.50 and $7.00 per mile, depending on several factors like Vehicle type, distance, Type of tow truck, and Urgency.
Some auto insurance policies include roadside assistance coverage, which can pay for towing your car if it breaks down or becomes disabled. Roadside assistance coverage is typically an optional add-on to your auto insurance policy, typically costing between $5 and $18 per month.
In addition, if you are involved in an accident, and your car is towed as a result, the cost of towing may be covered by the at-fault driver's liability insurance.
How much does it cost to tow a car if I call a tow truck company?
The average cost of towing a car is around $109. However, you can expect to pay anywhere from $2.50 to $7 per mile, plus a base fee of $35 to $100.
How much does a camper, RV, or big rig cost to tow?
The cost to tow a camper, RV, or big rig typically ranges from $4 to $7 per mile, depending on the following factors:
- Size and weight of the vehicle: Larger and heavier vehicles will require a larger tow truck and driver, increasing the cost.
- Distance to be towed: Tow companies typically charge a flat rate for the first few miles and then a per-mile rate for longer distances.
- Time of day and day of week: Tow companies may charge higher rates during peak hours or on weekends.
- Location: Tow companies in urban areas may charge higher rates than those in rural areas.
What if the towing company sold my car at auction for more than the towing and storage costs?
If the towing company sold your car at auction for more than the towing and storage costs, it would typically mean they have made a profit. In such a scenario, they would typically be entitled to keep the excess amount as their profit. This is a common practice in the towing industry, where the company recovers its expenses and any additional fees through the auction process.
However, it's important to note that the exact rules and regulations regarding the sale of vehicles at auction can vary depending on your location and the specific circumstances. Different jurisdictions may have different laws governing the process, including guidelines on handling surplus funds.
Suppose you believe that the towing company has wrongfully profited from the sale of your car or have any concerns about the process. In that case, consulting with a legal professional or seeking advice from a consumer protection agency in your area is advisable. They will be able to provide you with specific information and guidance based on the laws and regulations applicable to your situation.
What does it cost to tow a car from Illinois to Michigan?
You can expect to pay between $2.50 and $7.00 per mile for a long-distance tow. The average cost of towing a car 408 miles from Illinois to Michigan is around $500 to $700.
What does it cost to tow a car from Texas to Arizona?
The cost to tow a car from Texas to Arizona can vary depending on several factors, including the distance of the tow, the type of car being towed, and the time of year. However, the typical cost for a one-way tow from Texas to Arizona ranges from $680 to $910.
How much is the cost to tow a car from California to Las Vegas?
The cost to tow a car from California to Las Vegas varies depending on the distance, the type of car, and the company you choose. However, you can expect to pay anywhere from $300 to $1,000 for a one-way tow.
What is the average towing cost per mile?
The average cost of towing per mile is $4.75, according to The Zebra. However, the cost can vary significantly depending on several factors, including:
- The type of tow job: Some tow jobs, such as winching a vehicle out of a ditch, are more difficult and time-consuming than others and, therefore, more expensive.
- The distance: Longer tows cost more than shorter tows.
- The vehicle size: Towing a larger vehicle, such as a truck or SUV, costs more than towing a smaller vehicle, such as a car or motorcycle.
- The time of day: Towing companies often charge higher rates for tows during peak hours, such as on weekends and holidays.
- The location: Towing rates can vary from state to state and city to city.
It is important to get quotes from multiple towing companies before choosing one so that you can compare rates and find the best deal.