Long distance auto moving, defined here as car shipping to or from
another part of the country, can cost anywhere from $500 to $1,500 and up, depending on the details of the vehicle and delivery. Here are some of the main factors that influence the overall cost of hiring a professional long distance auto mover.
It’s no surprise that distance is a key element in determining the cost of auto shipping. It makes sense that moving a car from Chicago to Los Angeles--roughly 2,000 miles--will cost more than the 800 mile trip from Chicago to New York City. It can be more expensive to move a vehicle to a smaller town that’s off the standard delivery route, but that cost can be easily offset by using terminal to terminal car transport.
Have specific questions about the cost of long distance auto moving? Call us at 1-800-452-2880 and we’ll answer your questions for free! You can also the short form to the right to receive an instant quote with no obligation on your part!
Type of transport:
As mentioned above, terminal shipping can save you money because you handle the shorter drive from the current location to the terminal, and then again from the drop off terminal to the destination point. The other option is door to door auto shipping, which offers the ultimate in convenience but does tend to cost more. Customers can also choose between two different types of auto transport carriers: enclosed and open-air.
Open air auto transport involves several vehicles loaded onto the back of a large “open” auto carrier. You’ve probably seen these on the road before, carrying a load of cars to an auto dealer.
The other option is enclosed transport, which completely protects the vehicle from potential road and weather damage. Enclosed transport also offers a level of discretion since the vehicle is entirely protected and covered from view during the transport process.
*Note: crated shipping is also an option for long distance motorcycle transport.
Type of vehicle
Most auto transport price estimates assume a fairly normal sized sedan and not all vehicles fit this description. If you have a particularly large or heavy auto, that can affect the price since it costs more to move heavier cargo. The same holds true for specialty vehicles, modified cars, high-performance autos, motorcycles and RVs, which often require special fitting and extra care to ensure full protection for the duration of moving long distance.
We move all types of vehicles, including trucks, boats, RVs, motorcycles, heavy equipment, race cars, classic cars and luxury autos to all 50 U.S. states. Call us today or fill out the quote form to see how much we can save you today!
Long Distance Car Moving Services From A-1
- Coastal to Midwest - Whether you need a car shipped from the east or west coast, we offer some of the most competitive and comprehensive savings packages. Over 25 years, we’ve moved thousands of cars from both coasts to the Midwest.
- North to south, southeast and southwest - Whether you’re relocating, just visiting, or a snowbird looking for the sun, we offer discounted relocation services throughout the southern United States. These are some of our most popular national auto transport routes, especially during the fall and winter months!
- Midwest to the East or West coast - Our large fleet of auto transport carriers allows us to maintain delivery and pick up terminals in most major cities on both the East and West coast, allowing for quick and affordable delivery times to any location across the U.S.
- Mainland U.S. to Alaska or Hawaii - Our services aren’t just limited to the continental United States! We also transport vehicles to Alaska and all the major Hawaiian Islands.
- Coast to Coast - Our coast to coast auto transport services feature the most modern carriers and latest in logistics technology. With GPS tracking on every truck, you can get instant updates every step of the way!
For more information, contact us at 1-800-452-2880 or fill out our free online form to receive an instant quote for long distance auto moving! We offer discounts for students, military, veterans, and first-time car shippers!
Related Information & FAQ
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.