Heavy Equipment Shipping Calculator
Among the many factors influencing the cost of transporting heavy equipment, a heavy equipment shipping calculator will most likely come up with a result based on the following 2 areas:
- Labor: Trucks must be driven by qualified drivers, and logistics workers are needed to load / unload the equipment. Transportation costs vary greatly depending on the frequency, weight and size of the transported equipment. This is because larger freights require more equipment and workforce to transport it.
- Materials: Heavy equipment hauling requires extra materials, like packaging, as well as equipment such as cranes and forklifts. The auto transport company will incur small costs during the transport, for insurance, fuel, truck mileage, electronic tracking systems, etc. All these add up to the final price of the transport.
Determining Heavy equipment Shipping Costs by Sea
On the other hand, sea shipping prices depend greatly on freight class. A heavy equipment shipping calculator will determine them according to a standard known as the NMHC (national motor freight classification). This system is used to group items being transported by sea into freight classes.
Afterwards, the classes are used in determining the shipping cost of your equipment. There are 18 freight classes used to determine the transportability of the equipment by comparing liability, storability, density, and handling. Normally, items belonging to the higher freight classes are more expensive to ship.
Heaving Equipment Shipping Advice
The first step in shipping heavy equipment is obtaining its accurate weight and dimensions. Using this in information, the auto transport company will decide which truck type you need and what freight class your equipment falls into. The more details you provide the company, the more accurate an estimate they can give you.
If you wish to ship the heavy equipment internationally, you must make sure it meets the exportation and importation standards of the departing and accepting country. Ask the company to inquire on this matter.
The FMCSA and other United States authorities have certain standards and rules you must follow to transport and secure heavy equipment. Overweight and oversized equipment will be deemed as more expensive by a heavy equipment shipping calculator, but it will also need certain permits before it can be shipped.
Heavy equipment carried on a truck’s trailer can be higher than some bridges or power lines, or too high for certain roads. Not working with the auto shipping company to gather the necessary permits may lead to complications with the law, delays and possible fines.
Protect Valuable Areas
Most often, heavy equipment is exposed to the weather when transported, so you should cover any areas which are sensitive to wind or rain. During winter, you should take measures, so the lines and tanks are not damaged by cold temperatures. Some parts may also need protection against heat during summer months.
The tools you use to transport the heavy equipment may also protect or put it at risk. When it comes to the price, as determined by a heavy equipment shipping calculator, the fewer tools necessary, the cheaper your shipping will be.
Transporting heavy equipment on a flatbed is the most used method. There are many companies who offer it, and because of this, the prices are reasonable.
Flatbeds can be used to transport most heavy equipment. They come in various capacities and sizes, are easy to load / unload, and can be used to transport equipment of 48000 pounds.
However, before choosing to ship your equipment with a flatbed, confirm with the hauler the truck is powerful enough to carry it, and you or the auto transport company has the needed tools to load / unload it.
To transport your heavy equipment over short distances, towing may be a more cost effective option. However beforehand, prepare accordingly with the appropriate tires, gearbox, etc. Also, contact several towing companies until you find one with a truck capable of towing your equipment.
Finally, if you want your heavy equipment to be protected during transport, a special trailer is the best option. Double drop and step deck trailers permit the loading and transportation of taller vehicles, such as heavy equipment.
Ask your auto transporters to take care of any considerations or permits. Also, for the most accurate heavy equipment shipping calculator, it’s best to speak directly with the company as well.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?