Here’s a scenario for you: you don’t just have to move your car and belongings because you’re relocating, but you also need to store them for a while until you’re ready to take them back.
If you run the numbers of what moving all your stuff and storing them would cost, well, that’s not exactly pocket money, is it? This is why you may be wondering if you can access some sort of 2 in 1 type of deal and let one company handle everything.
But do auto transport companies even offer storage options?
Some Do, But You Need to Check
Moving your vehicle and belongings is one thing, and even smaller companies may have the necessary tools and trucks to make that happen without problems. But when it comes to storage, logistically, there’s a lot more that goes into it, and the truth is some companies don’t have the resources to handle that.
Here are just a few things that you’d need to focus on when it comes to storage:
- Large space - you need quite a lot of space to be able to offer storage services, even if you don’t offer vehicle storage. Plus, if the companies ship nationally, they also need to have multiple facilities;
- Tight security - these companies will be personally responsible for everything they store, and although you can insure your belongings for potential theft, they still need a good security system to make sure everything is safe;
- Pest control - storage facilities may by perfect grounds for pests, which put all the items stored at risk;
- High-quality units - preferably, the storage units should be climate-controlled to make sure what is kept there doesn’t suffer any damage related to humidity or improper temperatures. This is especially important to vintage pieces that are more sensitive to climate damage.
As you can see, there are a lot of things to cover here, and the truth is that some companies won’t even bother with them.
Note that companies may claim they offer storage options, when really they are collaborating with a 3rd party for these services, meaning that you likely still pay more than if you’d opt for a bigger company that offers more inclusive options.
Should You Choose an Auto Transport Company That Offers Storage?
There are some big perks with working with an auto transport company that offers both:
1. It’s Cheaper
This is the biggest perk of choosing an all-inclusive company. When you add the cost of shipping next to the costs of storing with a third party, the final amount you’ll end up paying will be higher in the end.
If you only work with one company, you receive the quote and estimate based on all the services you choose from them, storing included, so you get a better idea of how much money the entire process will cost. Plus, you may even benefit from some discounts or extra perks offered by the company.
2. It’s Safer
When you move and store your belongings and vehicle, they have to go through a lot of people who will personally handle them. The more people need to get a job done, the higher the risk that something can go wrong.
But with companies that transport and store, you have the same policy throughout. The people who need to unpack an item know how to do it properly, because they know the tools, the style, and the company policy. Plus, you get the same quality of service, and if you find a good company that really cares about doing a job well, you can bet they will handle both transportation and storing with the same attention to details.
3. Extra Perks
In most industries, the more services you choose, the more perks and free stuff you get offered. These are strategies to sweeten the deal, in a way, which is very convenient to the customer.
So a company that offers to transport and store a vehicle or belongings may throw in free pick-up from your house, for instance, as a way to make this offer more enticing. Or, they may offer better insurance. Either way, most of these services come with additional perks that are beneficial to you.
4. It’s Really Convenient
Finally, choosing an all-encompassing auto transport company is nothing if not convenient, since you are working with the same team throughout the entire process. That means you have the same people handling your cargo, the same representative you can contact with questions or updates, and the same rules when it comes to safety and customer satisfaction.
It saves time, money, and is overall the most efficient option.
How Do You Choose a Good Auto Transport Company?
If you’re looking for a company to transport and store your items, you need to do a little bit of research. From a marketing perspective, most of these businesses seem to virtually offer the same services, though if you look closely you’ll see that the quality may differ.
Here are a few things you can do to make an informed decision:
- Compare estimations - most companies will offer free quotes for their services, so it’s worth calling your contenders and asking for an estimate. Then, compare them to see which offer the best deal;
- Discuss at-length about your needs - be specific about what you need from the company, as they may not have the resources to meet all your expectations;
- Look for reviews - see how other people’s experiences with a company turned out, especially those who’ve opted for services similar to what you’re looking for;
- Ask about insurance - these companies must offer insurance, but the coverage itself can be very different from company to company.
When you have all this information about a company, you will be able to compare them and see which one of your options can meet your expectations. Yes, it may take a while, but considering the nature of this job, it’s always better safe than sorry, since the alternative is usually very costly.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.