Worldwide Car Shipping | Overseas & International Vehicle Transport
If you’re shipping a car to another country, it’s most likely being transported on a boat. This is a very common way to move not just cars and trucks, but just about any type of cargo you can imagine, from one shipping port to another all over the world. Most of the items being hauled by ship are stored in shipping containers to make it easier to move them in bulk, but cars are usually shipped differently. (Vehicles can be transported internationally by shipping container providing they fit properly and can be secured.)
The most frequently used method for moving vehicles to different parts of the world is a process called “RORO,” which stands for “roll on, roll off.” In simple terms, it means the vehicle is driven (rolled) onto a transport ship and stored for the trip then driven off when it arrives at the destination. It’s a very efficient and easy method to use when shipping internationally.
An important thing to keep in mind when looking for an overseas or international auto shipper is that not every company can ship to every location. As an example, some transporters may specialize in shipping only within the continental U.S., or if they do ship internationally, may only operate in certain regions or countries.
Since this is the case, the first step you should take, even before contacting a company for an estimate, is to make sure they deliver to the part of the world you need your car shipped to. This should be relatively easy information to find—there should be a web page with location information and, ideally, an article explaining the specifics of shipping to that area.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Worldwide Car Shipping: Understanding Options
- Air Freight – As we mentioned in the first section, most overseas auto transport is done by boat, but that isn’t the only option. There is also air freight available (using a plane to transport a vehicle), but it is significantly more expensive than other available methods.
- Insurance – Insurance is included as part of the price you pay for shipping. This is an industrywide regulation that applies to all carriers, whether they’re shipping your car to Canada or to Europe. There is a minimum requirement for insurance coverage that must be met by any company that moves cars and it covers any damages incurred at the fault of the company.
- Personal Items – If you need to ship personal items along with your vehicle, there is a preferred method you should use: containerized car shipping. When cars are shipped, they generally cannot have anything stored inside of them. With a shipping container, the vehicle only takes up part of the allotted space, leaving room for additional items to be shipped along with it. This is an especially good option if you’re making a long-term or permanent move to another country.
Need a cost estimate or have questions about shipping a car anywhere in the world? Contact us today for a FREE price quote! We’re always happy to answer your questions and all cost estimates are given with no obligation and no strings attached!
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?