How To Ship Your Motorcycle To Or From Argentina
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Average motorcycle shipping costs to Argentina from the United States is about $1200 to $1900.
- There have been enhancement in import duties and taxes on cars and motorcycles, so consider that when calculating the total cost
Argentina is located in the southern regions of South America and shares its borders with Bolivia, Chile, Brazil, Uruguay and Paraguay, while it has a long coastline on the east with South Atlantic Ocean. If you planning to stay in Argentine, for professional or personal reasons, or just intend traveling, it is best to import your own motorcycle from USA to Argentina. However, shipping internationally is a cumbersome process marred with plenty of procedures and legal formalities that have to be completed. That is why working with us is cost effective and hassle-free. We are A-1 Auto Transport and understand all aspects of shipping to Argentina and have shipped hundreds of vehicles in the last few years.
Cost of Shipping
To ship a motorcycle from the United States, you will need to determine the total cost prior to shipping. Since Argentina is a member of Mercosur, the Common External Tariff, or CET is between 0% and 20% with some vehicles or motorcycles are charged 35%. Additionally, there is 10.5% VAT or CIF is a total of 21%. You can call us and one of our shipping agents will give you a customized quote based on the specific motorcycle you own. The weight and size of the motorcycle will affect the total shipping price.
When you need to ship your motorcycle to Argentina, you have the option of shipping it on a temporary basis or doing it permanently. The laws differ and you may want to know more about it.
A temporary permit will be issued at the point of entry once in Argentina. You will first need to contact the Argentina Consulate in the United States in order to begin the procedure. The following people are allowed to import motorcycles:
- Expatriates with PR and want to move to Argentina permanently,
- Returning citizens coming back to Argentina after living abroad
- Those who have a temporary visa
- Diplomats and members of the military
You will need to obtain a temporary visa which can be renewed as often as you need it to be. Once the visa has expired, the import permit will expire also.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
A permanent resident visa can be issued, if you plan to stay for good. You will be allowed to import one vehicle and one motorcycle or two vehicles per each family. There are a few rules that must be followed:
- The driver of the motorcycle must be at least 21 years old
- The motorcycle must be registered in the driver’s name for at least three months prior to arriving
- The permanent resident visa must be granted prior to the motorcycle arriving.
If you have chosen to obtain a temporary permit, you can convert that permit as needed. The motorcycle is only handed over to the shipper or the owner. You are not allowed to sell the motorcycle for two years after the import process.
Documents and Registration
There is plenty of documentation that needs to be done before the import is allowed. Additionally, In order to import and register your motorcycle, you will need to make copies of the following documents:
- Passport or driver’s license
- National Directorate of Migration Permanent residence certificate
- Original purchase invoice of your motorcycle
- Ocean Bill of Lading in your name
- Certificate of residency in Argentina
- Pre-shipment Inspection certification
It is essential that returning citizens submit proof of living abroad for at least 2 years while the foreigners need to state their stay in the country of origin for at least 1 year.
Types of Shipping
Usually there are 6 to 8 motorcycles within a 20 feet container, if you ship using container shipping. For larger containers of 40 feet, there are 16 to 18 motorcycles. The fuel tank is drained to eliminate fire hazard during transportation and the battery is disconnected. Even salvaged and non-operational motorcycles can be shipped within this method. In some cases, the motorcycles are carted to minimize the risk of scratches and dings. It offers higher protection and security.
However, if you are on a budget and the motorcycle is operational, we can help you ship it by RORO. Only minimum fuel is needed in the fuel tank and the battery is not disconnected. However, the tires are screwed and immobilized in the metal plates so that there is no rolling out during freight shipping.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory