Shipping Your Car To Or From Vietnam
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- The cost of shipping a car to Vietnam is $2,300 to $5,600 for most standard sized cars, with higher costs for larger vehicles.
- The cheapest method of shipping a car to Vietnam is in an intermodal transport container aboard a ship.
Compared to moving a car within the U.S., exporting a car internationally has some extra steps involved due to the logistics, laws, customs paperwork and taxes involved. At its simplest, moving a car to Vietnam involves four main steps:
- Location To Port – Before having a car moved internationally, it needs to be moved to a port, where it can then be delivered to the country of destination. In some cases, a client may opt to drive the vehicle to the port themselves, rather than hire a transport company to handle the first leg of the trip. Most companies (including this one) will handle both the mainland and international side of transport, which is preferable to including two different companies in the process.
- Shipping Paperwork – The paperwork needed to ship a car to Vietnam isn’t overly complicated, but it’s completely necessary if you expect your delivery to go off without a hitch. When you book your Vietnam auto transport with us, we’ll make sure everything is in order before your vehicle is picked up.
- Port To Port – This is the real work of moving a car to Vietnam. Shipping cars from a U.S. port to Vietnam is typically done in one of two ways: with the vehicle secured inside of a container that is loaded aboard a ship, or by driving the car onto a boat and securing it on the deck (known as RORO shipping or “roll on, roll off” transport.
- Taxes & Duties – Like many of the countries of Southeast Asia, that taxes on auto imports in Vietnam are typically on the high end and it’s important to deal with an auto transport company that has a complete understanding of them. Our team of experienced professionals has an expert grasp of all laws, duties, and taxes that apply to transporting a car to Vietnam.
Popular Shipping Destinations
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Vietnam Auto Shipping Prep & Driver’s License Laws
Before having any car shipped internationally, it should be cleaned and serviced to ensure it’s in good running condition. Additionally, any external or non-permanent parts should be removed from the vehicle, as they can cause problems during a long delivery. Most companies will also ask that you completely empty the vehicle, especially if using RORO transport to Vietnam. In some cases, you may be allowed to include some additional cargo in the vehicle if it is being transported by containerized shipping.
Vietnam does not recognize the international driver’s license that many foreign countries require. As a result, you’ll need to apply for a Vietnam driver’s license when you arrive, which is not terribly complicated. Generally speaking, having a valid license from your home country will be enough for you to get a local license in Vietnam.
Required Document For Shipping A Vehicle To Vietnam
- Import permit
- Residency card
- Proof of ownership (original purchase invoice)
- Certificate of origin
- Bill of lading
- Authorization letter
Resources For Shipping A Car To Vietnam
Vietnam Traffic Rules – There are some important things to know before driving in Vietnam and this resource covers the basics of what you’ll need to be aware of.
Vietnam Driver’s License – As mentioned above, Vietnam doesn’t recognize the international driver’s license, but does make it easy to get a Vietnam license. This article will walk you through the process.
Embassy of the U.S. in Vietnam – An important resource to have at your disposal if you’re an American citizen spending time in Vietnam.
Related Information & FAQs
- Is it possible to have a used car shipped from the US to Vietnam?
- The cost of using a transport company to ship a car to Vietnam
- How much does it cost to ship a car to Vietnam using the container method of transport?
- Shipping your car to Vietnam through professional transport services is the safest way
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory