The 15th largest city in EU and the capital of Bulgaria, Sofia is strategically located on the Balkan Peninsula. Located in-between the Adriatic Sea and Black Sea, it is a major port city and hub of trade and commerce.
As Bulgaria is a part of the European Union, the import laws remain the same. There are stringent emission standards and technical details that all imported vehicles have to adhere to. Some of the essential requirements include:
- Follow all import regulations as per the Customs department of Bulgaria.
- Pay VAT.
- Buy Bulgarian insurance on the vehicle.
- Clear the emission and roadworthiness tests.
- Locally register your vehicle in Sofia.
Although most of the import rules are the same all over European Union, there are many specific regulations applicable by the Bulgarian government. When you work with A1 Auto Transport service, we can walk you through them before the vehicle is shipped.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Custom regulations in Sofia, Bulgaria.
All vehicles that are imported to Sofia or any other city in Bulgaria can only be imported on a temporary basis. As an owner you will have to pay a surety or ‘guarantee’ which is a levy that has to be cleared before the vehicle is cleared by the Bulgarian Customs department. Your vehicle’s year of manufacture, brand of the vehicle, engine power and registration will play a role in determining the total custom duty that is payable. In vase you need to import the vehicle for longer than 1 year, you will need to renew the registration every year as long as you keep the car in Sofia.
You can work with A1 Auto Transport service to get the documentation in order and submitted at the domestic US port and at the Bulgarian port when the vehicle arrives. The paperwork includes:
- Car title deed.
- Insurance on the vehicle.
- Bill of Lading.
- Valid work permit.
- Residency visa.
- Bulgarian driving license.
- Proof of insurance.
Import duties and taxes.
Apart from the documentation that is needed, you need to know about the taxes that are applicable. These will vary depending upon the year of manufacture of the vehicle model, engine capacity and roadworthiness of the vehicle. There are no taxes applicable if the car is imported from an EU country but when you import it from USA, all taxes are applicable. This includes a tax upwards of 17% based on the current resale value of the vehicle. Additionally there is a VAT duty of 20% implemented by the Bulgarian government. This is calculated by considering the value of the vehicle, insurance and shipping costs. Other excise taxes can be added depending upon the inspection by the Bulgarian custom officials. However, diplomats are allowed to bring in one vehicle duty free after they enter the country.
The common methods of shipping to Sofia are through RORO or container shipping, depending upon your budget and requirements. You can consult A1 Auto Transport service and discuss the methods of shipping and get a written quote before you ship the vehicle. For more information related to import of vehicles, contact the Embassy of Bulgaria.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory