Importing a Car to Sharjah, UAE
Sharjah is the seat of the emirate of the United Arab Emirates and has a population of more than 800,000 residents. Sharjah covers several towns including Kalba, Khor Fakkan and Dibba Al-Hisn. When you need to import your car into Sharjah, you will find that Sharjah has fairly lenient import regulations for motor vehicles. You will need to hire a reputable auto transport company to ship the car overseas for you and you will need to provide documents and adhere to the policies set forth by both the auto transport company as well as Customs in Sharjah. Sharjah has three major shipping ports. Port Khalid, Khor Fakkan and Hamriyah Free Zone. These three shipping ports along with the Sharjah International Airport which has five cargo terminals make shipping an easy process to do.
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car to Sharjah
|Sharjah to (New York port)|
to New York, NY
|Sharjah to (California port)|
to Los Angeles
|Las Vegas, NV to (California port)|
|Phoenix, AZ to (California port)|
|Seattle, WA to (California port)|
|Sharjah to (New York port)|
to Charlotte, NC
|Chicago, IL to (New York port)|
|Miami, FL to (New York port)|
|Sharjah to (California port)|
to Dallas, TX
|Houston, TX to (New York port)|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
*Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
*Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
*Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
*Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
You will have to provide specific documents to the shipping agent prior to shipping your car internationally. Unlike shipping throughout the United States, there are strict rules with shipping overseas. Your transport agent will require the following:
- Driver’s License
- Social Security Card
- Title and Registration to the car
- Automobile Insurance
- Power of Attorney (signed)
They may also need further documentation and will be able to discuss that in detail when you speak to them. Your auto transport agent can make arrangements to pick your car up in the United States and deliver it to the Major Shipping Port where your car will be shipping to Sharjah. They can also arrange to have your car picked up and delivered to you when it reaches Sharjah if you have not already made arrangements or plan to pick the car up from the port in person.
Import Regulations Set Forth by Sharjah Customs
You will want to make sure that you are aware of the essential rules for clearance through Customs in Sharjah when importing your car. The following are required documents that customs officials will require for importing your car:
- Original Bill of Lading (BL) The bill must include the make, model, chassis and engine number, color, and type of car. (Car, Truck, SUV, Van)
- Original Bill of Sale or a Commercial Invoice
- UAE resident Visa copy page (Must be endorsed on Passport)
- Name of car title must match name on passport
- Car condition report that will be given at the loading port in the United States
- Original Title to Car
All cars imported to Sharjah must be left-hand drive only and a customs duty of 5% of the total vehicle value must be paid. The value will be assessed by Customs. Imported cars need to be five years old or less. Classic cars can often be excluded from the age of vehicle but that will have to be approved by the technical check-up committee. The Road Transport Authority will have to perform a physical check of the car to approve it to be driven on the roadways in Sharjah. All imported cars must pass an emissions test and carbon dioxide has to be 3.5% or lower to pass. Your auto shipping agent will be able to give you full details of what you will need to complete prior to shipping as they have full experience with regulations and laws pertaining to international shipping. You may also want to contact the United Arab Emirates Embassy in Washington, DC for further information or concerns you may have.
Before You Import Your Car to Sharjah
Before your car even reaches the shipping port in the United States to be shipped to Sharjah, you will need to have a finalized price quote from the agent that will detail what you must pay both prior to shipping as well as upon receiving the car when it reaches the port in Sharjah. There are instances when your car will need to be detailed and steam cleaned before shipping is allowed and your agent will discuss this with you if this is a necessary requirement for the choice of shipping that you decide to utilize. Your agent will go over the total cost of shipping with you. You will also be provided with details of the different ways to ship a car internationally. These include:
- Ro-Ro Shipping- Ro-Ro Shipping simply means that your car is rolled (driven) aboard the cargo ship and rolled (driven) off when it reaches the entry port in Sharjah. Ro-Ro Shipping is the least expensive as well as the quickest way to ship via the sea internationally. Your car will need to be emptied of any personal items or paperwork for the voyage. Any other details that will need to be taken care of before shipping will thoroughly discuss with your shipping agent.
- Container Cargo Shipping- Shipping your car in a container that is loaded onto a cargo ship is convenient when you have household and personal items that need to ship internationally with your car. Container shipping will take a small amount of time longer than shipping with Ro-Ro due to Customs clearance of not only the car but with other items that may inside the container as well as Customs having to remove the containers in order to inspect the contents when performing checks. Even with the extra time needed during shipping, shipping via container is very beneficial when you need your household and personal items shipped as well.
- Air Shipping- Shipping by air is the absolute fastest way to have your car with you in Sharjah. Your car will be loaded onto a cargo plane in the Unites States and flown to a cargo terminal at the Sharjah International Airport where you will be able to pick it up, have it cleared through customs and be on your way as quickly as possible.
You will also want to check with your current Automobile Insurance Company and find out if you have International Shipping Coverage on your policy. If you don’t already have international shipping coverage it is usually included in your quote from the shipping company.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.